Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bombay consulate broke into our e-mail accounts

bombay consulate broke into our e-mail accounts

Old Aug 27th 2002, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

mdmd101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bombay consulate broke into our e-mail accounts

I'm a us citizen, my wife is just went through her interview. During the first inteview, the consul give my wife a 221(g) letter asking for pictures from my prior marriages, her sibling's marriage, etc. etc. E-mail correspondence, phone bills, etc.

During the second interview, she wasn't interviewed at all, but all evidence was collected from her including the e-mails. The very next day I couldn't access my e-mail account and neither can my wife access her e-mail account--my provider is yahoo, hers is rediffmail. We can access our other accounts on yahoo and redffimail.

During her third visit to the consulate yesterday, she was given a 221(g) letter saying her case was in "administrative processing and the consulate would contact her."

Our e-mail providers have no answers as to why we couldn't access our e-mail accounts. Has this happened to any other applicants or victims of 221(g) at Bombay or anywhere else?

It is very obvious that the consulate is involved as we lost access to only the e-mail accounts that the consulate knows about and that too exactly the day after the cosulate received printouts of our e-mail.

Thanks
MD
Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:12 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: bombay consulate broke into our e-mail accounts

No, the Bombay consulate has NOTHING to do with your email access. Why in the world
would they block access to your email?

mdmd101 wrote:
    > I'm a us citizen, my wife is just went through her interview. During the first
    > inteview, the consul give my wife a 221(g) letter asking for pictures from my
    > prior marriages, her sibling's marriage, etc. etc. E-mail correspondence, phone
    > bills, etc.
    > During the second interview, she wasn't interviewed at all, but all evidence was
    > collected from her including the e-mails. The very next day I couldn't access my
    > e-mail account and neither can my wife access her e-mail account--my provider is
    > yahoo, hers is rediffmail. We can access our other accounts on yahoo and
    > redffimail.
    > During her third visit to the consulate yesterday, she was given a
    > 221(g) letter saying her case was in "administrative processing and the consulate
    > would contact her."
    > Our e-mail providers have no answers as to why we couldn't access our e-mail
    > accounts. Has this happened to any other applicants or victims of
    > 221(g) at Bombay or anywhere else?
    > It is very obvious that the consulate is involved as we lost access to only the
    > e-mail accounts that the consulate knows about and that too exactly the day after
    > the cosulate received printouts of our e-mail.
    > Thanks MD
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:43 am
Stephen Thompson

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 00:07:08 +0000, mdmd101 <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm a us citizen, my wife is just went through her interview. During the first
    >inteview, the consul give my wife a 221(g) letter asking for pictures from my
    >prior marriages, her sibling's marriage, etc. etc. E-mail correspondence, phone
    >bills, etc.
    >During the second interview, she wasn't interviewed at all, but all evidence was
    >collected from her including the e-mails. The very next day I couldn't access my
    >e-mail account and neither can my wife access her e-mail account--my provider is
    >yahoo, hers is rediffmail. We can access our other accounts on yahoo and redffimail.
    >During her third visit to the consulate yesterday, she was given a
    >221(g) letter saying her case was in "administrative processing and the consulate
    > would contact her."
    >Our e-mail providers have no answers as to why we couldn't access our e-mail
    >accounts. Has this happened to any other applicants or victims of
    >221(g) at Bombay or anywhere else?
    >It is very obvious that the consulate is involved as we lost access to only the
    >e-mail accounts that the consulate knows about and that too exactly the day after
    >the cosulate received printouts of our e-mail.
    >Thanks MD

I would seriously doubt they would break into your accounts. They have no need to,
they will only so on what information you have given them.

Steve

Old Aug 27th 2002, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

I'm hoping they didn't. However, no matter how skeptical I'm of this idea of the Bombay consualte breaking into our e-mail accounts, it is very obvious that both my wife and I can't access the e-mail accounts we've used to communicate with each other. This happened since the day we gave printouts of our e-mail correspondence to the consulate.

Is is possible that the Bombay consulate suspects that we only gave them selective e-mails and not all e-mails and they want to look into our accounts and see what was really going on between us?

In any case, this is very stange.

Also, my wife is currently in 221(g) administrative processing, If someone has gone thru similar experience, please tell us about what happens next. The consulate gave my wife the 221(g) admin. proc. letter on August 26. Thanks

MD
Old Aug 27th 2002, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a big lie. Every detail, no matter how trivial, is recorded on their server logs. In any case, all they have to do is reset your password. Its just that they wont waste time and resources on free accounts.

ralph
(this space for rent)

Our e-mail providers have no answers as to why we couldn't access our e-mail accounts. Has this happened to any other applicants or victims of 221(g) at Bombay or anywhere else?

Thanks
MD
[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 27th 2002, 7:43 pm
Mrtravel

Ok.. Let's pretend they want to look at your email. This would require a court order.
Let's assume they got it. They could do it without your knowledge. There would be no
reason to block you from accessing it.

I don't understand what you mean by the email provider not be able to tell you
the problem.

Do you get a password failure message, or what?

mdmd101 wrote:
    > I'm hoping they didn't. However, no matter how skeptical I'm of this idea of the
    > Bombay consualte breaking into our e-mail accounts, it is very obvious that both my
    > wife and I can't access the e-mail accounts we've used to communicate with each
    > other. This happened since the day we gave printouts of our e-mail correspondence
    > to the consulate.
    > Is is possible that the Bombay consulate suspects that we only gave them selective
    > e-mails and not all e-mails and they want to look into our accounts and see what
    > was really going on between us?
    > In any case, this is very stange.
    > Also, my wife is currently in 221(g) administrative processing, If someone has gone
    > thru similar experience, please tell us about what happens next. The consulate gave
    > my wife the 221(g) admin. proc. letter on August 26. Thanks
    > MD
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:11 pm
sid
Forum Regular

sid is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you give them your password? I'm sure you didn't although they would never ask for it in the first place. Only way they could break into you accounts is if they are computer hackers, then they would have to hack into the yahoo or rediff mail servers.
"Counsulate workers are part time computer hackers".....I see tomorrow morning's headlines.

Originally posted by mdmd101:
I'm a us citizen, my wife is just went through her interview. During the first inteview, the consul give my wife a 221(g) letter asking for pictures from my prior marriages, her sibling's marriage, etc. etc. E-mail correspondence, phone bills, etc.

During the second interview, she wasn't interviewed at all, but all evidence was collected from her including the e-mails. The very next day I couldn't access my e-mail account and neither can my wife access her e-mail account--my provider is yahoo, hers is rediffmail. We can access our other accounts on yahoo and redffimail.

During her third visit to the consulate yesterday, she was given a 221(g) letter saying her case was in "administrative processing and the consulate would contact her."

It is very obvious that the consulate is involved as we lost access to only the e-mail accounts that the consulate knows about and that too exactly the day after the cosulate received printouts of our e-mail.

Thanks
MD
Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:15 pm
sid
Forum Regular

Just trying to be funny. Hope you are not offended, MD.
Now tell me what error message are you getting when you try to log into you e-mail accounts?

-Sid

Originally posted by sid:
Did you give them your password? I'm sure you didn't although they would never ask for it in the first place. Only way they could break into you accounts is if they are computer hackers, then they would have to hack into the yahoo or rediff mail servers.
"Counsulate workers are part time computer hackers".....I see tomorrow morning's headlines.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:41 pm
Targaff

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:[/q1]

> Ok.. Let's pretend they want to look at your email. This would require a
    > court order.

This would of course depend on the laws current in India regarding this, since
despite being an office of the American government the people who work there wouldn't
really be obliged to stick to those laws since they would be subject to the laws of
the country they're in. The authorities in the UK have been given carte blanche to
access people's e-mail in such a way if they feel there is a need; it wouldn't
surprise me to find that there's either no legislation governing this sort of
activity or that authorities do have certain rights to investigate.

Still, I doubt it, and paranoia is one of my strong points.

--

Targaff

Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:54 pm
Skits O'Phrennia

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > No, the Bombay consulate has NOTHING to do with your email access. Why in the world
    > would they block access to your email?

You say that with such authority I tend to believe it but how can you be so
sure? Rick

-----------== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Uncensored Usenet News ==----------
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19
Servers =-----

Old Aug 27th 2002, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Sid:

Neither my wife nor I gave them our passwords. They didn't ask for any. However, uncanny it may seem but it did happen. The day after the consulate came to know about the id of the e-mail accounts we used to correspond, they were broken into.

The error message I get on Yahoo is "incorrect password" same message on rediffmail for my wife.

I don't remember what birthday and zip code number I used when I opened this account so I couldn't even get a new password. If my wife remebers hers, we will try to get a new password for her rediffmail account.

I may come across as paranoid, but this is true. I spoke with Yahoo and they do give out access/information from the e-mail accounts if they are served a sub-peona or if the account is a part of any governmental investigation.

People beware--the consulate is doing this.

MD. Doc.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 11:42 pm
Mrtravel

Skits O'Phrennia wrote:
    > "mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > No, the Bombay consulate has NOTHING to do with your email access. Why in the
    > > world would they block access to your email?
    > You say that with such authority I tend to believe it but how can you be so
    > sure? Rick

1. It happened too fast. Do you think a consulate is this efficient?
2. They would only be interested in accessing the info, not blocking you from it.
3. It would require a court order, see #1
4. Various other reasons that I am not at liberty to discuss

What is are the usernames/passwords?

Old Aug 27th 2002, 11:44 pm
Mrtravel

Targaff wrote:
    > mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > > Ok.. Let's pretend they want to look at your email. This would require a court
    > > order.
    > This would of course depend on the laws current in India regarding this,

Nope.. Yahoo is in the US. And, yes, the consulate is still bound by US law on what
it can do to a US citizen's email account (not to mention the non citizen)

Old Aug 28th 2002, 2:26 am
Docsanjose

well, this is not possible....how come the embassy people know the answers to your
secret question, which is a part of recovery of new password on yahoo account..only a
person who knows the answer to secret question set by you can hack into your
account...

Old Aug 28th 2002, 3:10 am
sid
Forum Regular

Passwords are usually case sensitive. Check the caps lock LED (green light) on your keyboard. Make sure the light is off.
Try this and let me know.

-Sid
Originally posted by mdmd101:
Sid:

Neither my wife nor I gave them our passwords. They didn't ask for any. However, uncanny it may seem but it did happen. The day after the consulate came to know about the id of the e-mail accounts we used to correspond, they were broken into.

The error message I get on Yahoo is "incorrect password" same message on rediffmail for my wife.

I don't remember what birthday and zip code number I used when I opened this account so I couldn't even get a new password. If my wife remebers hers, we will try to get a new password for her rediffmail account.

I may come across as paranoid, but this is true. I spoke with Yahoo and they do give out access/information from the e-mail accounts if they are served a sub-peona or if the account is a part of any governmental investigation.

People beware--the consulate is doing this.

MD. Doc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.