Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boeing/Seattle Area Queries

Boeing/Seattle Area Queries

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:31 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Boeing/Seattle Area Queries

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I see a website that says: . . . . aerospace staffing company [name] has announced an accelerated green card programme designed specifically to help top stress and structural design engineers achieve the American dream.
I work in aerospace engineering and have seen friends go to, and leave, Boeing. If you like huge organizations, Boeing is one of the biggest. This means their periodic layoffs and rehiring is also large scale. Folks who were previously laid off obviously feel no love for Boeing, hence Boeing's need to recruit overseas, which is ridiculous when you look at the unemployment numbers over here.
And forget the BS - there is no such thing as the American dream. Plenty of other countries have a higher standard of living - if that's what it means.
Having said that, depending on your current situation, it may offer new opportunities to learn and advance your career.
And at least the weather up there is as close to the UK as you will find in the USA, thought you may not consider that a plus!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:01 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darra
Hi all,

This is my first post so apologies if it contains stuff that it shouldn't.

I have recently been offered a job with Boeing at one of their sites in the Seattle area. The job is through a contract company that are visiting Europe looking for engineers to work with Boeing and they will be processing a Green Card for me and my family.

As the job is a result of this wide scoping recruitment drive I do not have any specific details yet on the role or location other than it is in the Pugent Sound area. The plan is to work as a contractor for a few months and then transfer to a permanent Boeing employee.

I have not yet accepted the offer as a few issues are beginning to crop up in my mind (possibly cold feet??) and I was hoping that someone could give me some advice on the points below:

1. Does anyone here have any experience of working as an engineer for Boeing? If so, how do the working conditions compare to the UK and how are the prospects for career development, I have read that Boeing promote and give responsibility based heavily on time served, is this correct? I'm wondering if I could cope with only 2 weeks holiday per year, I do like the flexibility of 5 weeks holiday that I get in the UK.

2. Is the Pugent Sound area (close to Renton or Everett probably) a good place to raise a family? My son is 8 and my daughter 2 so school quality and good, affordable housing/rentals in a safe area is high on the aganda.

3. How is public transport in the area as neither of us currently have a driving license, although I hope to get one before leaving the UK.

4. How do people find living in the area when compared with the UK?

I hope someone can help with some of my queries.
Hi and welcome.. basically just wanted to say that this is how we arrived here, been here 8 years now!! Hubby came over on H1B (me on H4) through the "contract house" (he has also been over here previously 10 yrs before) anyway they offered to sponsor us for the Greencard which we did, took 9 months in total.

Hubby eventually left the contractors and went to work direct for Boeing, BTW because he left within 3 years of getting the greencard we had to repay processing fees to the contract house - a clause which we were fully aware of when we first applied.

We had our greencards for 5 years and this year applied and became US citizens.

Personally we LOVE living here, Boeing is a great company to work for, benefits etc are way above what most other companies offer - Hubby is an Engineer and gets well looked after, 2 weeks vacation isn't much but we just had 3 weeks away and Hubby took some leave un-paid, which wasn't an issue!

Puget Sound is a gorgeous area, we live in Maple Valley 40 mins out of downtown, access to everywhere but you might need a car!!.. give it a go what have you got to lose! and YES it is possible to make it work!!'

GOOD LUCK
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They never said what visa type they would be applying for, only that it would be a Green Card that I would receive upon starting my employment.
In a nutshell... they've lied to you.

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:09 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys.

If I accept the offer the contract house will sponsor me for a Green Card. When I asked about this I was told that this would allow permanent residency and my wife would also be able to work. This process would include all attorneys and processing fees and my family and I would be required to visit the US embassy in London before the process is complete.

I will then take up employment with them working for Boeing. Boeing have instructed me (via the Boeing hiring manager that I spoke to during my interview) that after a period of 6-9 months they would then offer me a permanent role and it would be up to me to decide whether to accept that or to stay with the contract company.
Not 100% sure this is correct, Boeing very rarely offer permanent positions to non-greencard holders, normally you go through the Greencard process before being in a position to be offered a permanent position.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:12 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In a nutshell... they've lied to you.

Ian
Well apparently I just spoke to Hubby and he said that the agency he came over with, who processed our H1B and greencard, are now bringing Engineers over on H1B's and then applying for greencards straight away.

So they haven't actually lied to him, it might not be a greencard "upon starting work" but the application might well be. Past experience with these agencies is that they really truely do know what they are doing, they have been doing it for a very long time and as shown it worked out perfectly for us and others that we know over here.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Hillsforest. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Well apparently I just spoke to Hubby and he said that the agency he came over with, who processed our H1B and greencard, are now bringing Engineers over on H1B's and then applying for greencards straight away.

So they haven't actually lied to him, it might not be a greencard "upon starting work" but the application might well be. Past experience with these agencies is that they really truely do know what they are doing, they have been doing it for a very long time and as shown it worked out perfectly for us and others that we know over here.
wont be going anytime soon then as the cap is filled, cant apply until april 2013 now, with earliest possible start date oct 1st 2013
Old Nov 9th 2012, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

donna1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any news on your job / move?

I have lived in Edmonds, about 20 minutes north of Seattle, for just under a year now. Have an elementary age boy and a girl in her first year of high school. We looked at the school district before we chose the town, and chose the school before we chose the house and would advise anyone to do the same.

Everett might be cheaper to live in (hubby works there but not for Boeing) but I wouldn't want to live there. More crime, schools not so good etc. Our shortlist for area's were Mukilteo, Lynnwood and Edmonds. All of them were great but Edmonds is quainter and has more of a community feel to the main part of town.

We love living here and have no intention of going back (EB1c green card petition in at the mo). I'm looking out of my kitchen window at the most amazing view of Puget Sound and the Olympic mountains! What's not to love?
Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna1971
What's not to love?
The Mega Quake that the Juan De Fuca ridge is inevitably going to produce?
Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:28 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

If you end up working at the Everett plant, there are good school options in Mill Creek, have friends who live there. Everett proper also has nice neighborhoods, but also not so nice ones. Plenty of people commute from Seattle to Everett too. I live in North Seattle (Ballard area) and love it. There are also good schools and places to live in Shoreline, Lynnwood and Edmonds.
Naomi.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Darra is an unknown quantity at this point

I accepted the job a few weeks ago and the visa processing has begun.

I've been in contact with some people who have done a similar move in the past and as I have no idea whether I will be working in Everett or Renton (or any other Boeing office) it was recommended that I look for somewhere to live in the Kirkland/Redmond area. We have been looking at these areas and I have also been looking at Shoreline and Green Lake as well.

It certainly seems like there are plenty of recommendations for good places to live in the area.