Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bodies...The Exhibition

Bodies...The Exhibition

Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bodies...The Exhibition

Anyone been to see Bodies....The Exhibition.... http://www.mhms.org ....I hear it's on in NY at present and will be here in Houston in Spring....sounds fascinating.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bodies...The Exhibition

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Anyone been to see Bodies....The Exhibition.... http://www.mhms.org ....I hear it's on in NY at present and will be here in Houston in Spring....sounds fascinating.
Its here in Florida to the end of Feb ...
http://www.mosi.org/
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:22 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

When I saw the title I was thinking of this place:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/PAPHImut.html
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:57 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Our family went to see it at the Science and Industry Museum in Chicago over the summer holidays. The whole family had mixed reactions. I thought it was an amazing exhibition, but I have always loved the human body and as a nurse have been to many post mortems and funeral homes in the course of one of my jobs working in organ donor retreival. But that is me!

My husband was very disturbed by it and wondered about the ethical and moral considerations using cadavers and didn't finish seeing the exhibition. My son (21) looked at it as a practical learning experience to visualise the human body. My step daughter (16) refused to even go into the exhibition. My step son wasn't really bothered and I don't think he realy looked at much of the exhibition. My youngest step daughter (12) was almost as fascinated as I was and followed me around the exhibition but I don't think she realised the bodies were real human beings that had been plasticised. A hard concept for any 12 year old!

If you go, be prepared that you may pay your money but not see the whole exhibition depending on how you feel at the time. If you think it sounds fascinating you may well enjoy it but equally you may feel disturbed by it also. The only way to find out is to go and take a look.

Maggie

Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:58 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Saw it in London on a trip back a couple of years ago - it was pretty interesting and I would probably go again. It's very educational in some respects (in some cases it just seemed like they were doing it for the hell of it).
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for your replies...I've read up on it and I was not sure with it using cadavers but I am curious and my husband would like to go so think we'll get tickets however one things for sure think I'll eat my curry afterwards and not prior to going in....lol and tks again
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Bodies...The Exhibition

I saw it in a large warehouse in Brick Lane in London about two years ago; it was so successful that they had to extend the exhibition dates twice. I also saw it in Cleveland last May and it was much, much smaller than the Bodyworld exhibition in London - I think they've split up the exhibits to show them simultaneously in various American cities and I also think it's currently on in Philadephia too.

At the London one I vividly remember standing inside a group of four dead bodies, all sliced up and in different poses ie. a goalkeeper stretching to save a ball, a cyclist, a ballerina and a weightlifter.....oddly enough they were all wearing wigs. I suddenly began to feel rather queasy and had to walk away. The most memorable exhibits were of unborn babies...some were very deformed - also there was a woman who was five months pregnant and her tummy was open so you could see directly inside her unborn baby.

It was interesting to see what a tumour looked like (eg. kidney cancer) and the effects of smoking on the lungs. They have a new technique where they can preserve body fat so in Cleveland they had the body of a normal sized male next to an obese one and you could see the fat as it was displayed just like rashers of bacon.....

All the exhibits are of people who donated their bodies for plasticination and the public is not informed who they were or which nationality they were. My husband and daughter actually signed up to donate their bodies (although I wouldn't have a clue as to how or whom I should get in contact with if anything happened to them!). There are also animals on display too; I've seen in London a 'knight' on a horse, in Cleveland a herd of camels and in both cities the complete blood supply system of a rabbit.

It really is an amazing exhibition and worth going to for sure. Going off-topic, I understand that there is a Tutenkhamun exhibition in Florida - I always wanted to see it in London after seeing it on Blue Peter when I was a little girl but never had the opportunity to go.....has anyone seen it in the US and is it worth making a special trip to go there or should I save up and go to Cairo?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
IIt really is an amazing exhibition and worth going to for sure. Going off-topic, I understand that there is a Tutenkhamun exhibition in Florida - ?
http://moafl.com/kingtut/
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Englishmum

It really is an amazing exhibition and worth going to for sure. Going off-topic, I understand that there is a Tutenkhamun exhibition in Florida - I always wanted to see it in London after seeing it on Blue Peter when I was a little girl but never had the opportunity to go.....has anyone seen it in the US and is it worth making a special trip to go there or should I save up and go to Cairo?

Tks the more I hear from you guys the more I ant to go take a look...tks
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:28 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

The same guy (German I think) that created these was on TV back in the UK doing dissections with Donor bodies, slicing every part up into sections as if he was working in a butchers shop.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:40 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britontour
The same guy (German I think) that created these was on TV back in the UK doing dissections with Donor bodies, slicing every part up into sections as if he was working in a butchers shop.
I remember seeing OU on BBC2 back in the 80's and there was a guy slicing up a brain with a bacon slicer. I'm sure you get used to it! Fascinating stuff
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

OMG :scared:
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:25 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

A word of warning - this is not the same guy. I was looking around and found this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051107/clm047.html?.v=27
"Premier Exhibitions, Inc. is not affiliated with any other organizer of human anatomy exhibitions, including Gunther von Hagens, Gerhard Perner, or Genlife Biomedical. BODIES ... The Exhibition should not be confused with "Body Worlds," "Body Exploration," "The Universe Within," "Bodies Revealed," or any other human anatomy exhibition."

The "real" one is in Philadelphia right now but is moving on to other parts of the US:
http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/ausstellung_usa.asp
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I saw it in Tampa over Thanksgiving.

It was fascinating - my kids (3 & 5) were interested in it all. I was a bit worried about taking them into the foetus/baby section but they took it all in stride and asked some good questions (luckily my father in-law, a doctor, was with us so we could pass the tough questions on to him).

Well worth seeing if you have the chance.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Philgr
I saw it in Tampa over Thanksgiving.

It was fascinating - my kids (3 & 5) were interested in it all. I was a bit worried about taking them into the foetus/baby section but they took it all in stride and asked some good questions (luckily my father in-law, a doctor, was with us so we could pass the tough questions on to him).

Well worth seeing if you have the chance.

tks phil, yep we will def go and see it....you lot have made my mind up to go..tks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.