Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bobbies V.s Cops.

Bobbies V.s Cops.

Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bobbies V.s Cops.

Originally Posted by destroyerdivine
Working as a person in the petroleum business I know for sure that oil is starting, REPEAT, STARTING to be in short supply. But, that is only in Saudi Arabia as they are about to start drilling in their last big field and at a loss. The current prices are going up because the Saudis are pumping at 12 million bbls a day, and are only trying to keep production at that level. Yes, we're running short, and that's only with those oil fields that we already tap. There is a huge, "BUT" though, and that is: only a fraction of the Earth has been explored for oil exploration so, I am positive that another huge field will be discovered in the near future. Bio fuels are a ploy to make big business money, and food growers rich because of shortages caused by using corn and sugar cane to make fuel.
I recognise that face.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

What an interesting thread !
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:14 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destroyerdivine
Working as a person in the petroleum business I know for sure that oil is starting, REPEAT, STARTING to be in short supply. But, that is only in Saudi Arabia as they are about to start drilling in their last big field and at a loss. The current prices are going up because the Saudis are pumping at 12 million bbls a day, and are only trying to keep production at that level. Yes, we're running short, and that's only with those oil fields that we already tap. There is a huge, "BUT" though, and that is: only a fraction of the Earth has been explored for oil exploration so, I am positive that another huge field will be discovered in the near future. Bio fuels are a ploy to make big business money, and food growers rich because of shortages caused by using corn and sugar cane to make fuel.
You know my former boyfriend said the Saudis where worried that things were going to go tits up in the future regarding their bread and butter. That's why he was asked to start a Part 135 (Charter Aviation) outfit with someone who had connection to royalty. This was seen as their way out and a new source of cash flow.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
So why the difference? It seems in the UK people don't really give a toss about the police (untill they really need help) the kids have little respect for them.
Seems to be a whole different story in the US (or maybe I have seen one too many edited versions of Cops). On the whole there does seem to be a lot more respect for them over here.
Is it the fact the Police here carry guns? or do the police in the UK need more power to control the people?

What are your thoughts?

My experience has been if they pull you over your getting a ticket regardless..in the UK sometimes they would give you a warning...not here they must be on commission!!!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:57 pm
Banned

Sexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wildmark
My experience has been if they pull you over your getting a ticket regardless..in the UK sometimes they would give you a warning...not here they must be on commission!!!
Getting back to the OP, I don't think there is any more or less respect for the cops here in Houston than there was back home. It seems the generations are completely parallel...the older/middle aged bracket still hold them in high regard, while the younger generations still see them as pigs, nazis, and as I hear a lot, "wimps on a power trip who were probably bullied in high school and college and are now redeeming themselves handing out speeding tickets".

Police here still get the same accusations as those back home - racist, fat and lazy, useless at catching major criminals while excelling in catching speeders and jaywalkers, etc.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Scientist said the same in the 50s .... and the 60s etc

I don't worry or really care about others ..they can sort their own problems out .. I always have..
wow, you're a real hero.

'I dont worry or care about others' is probably the most pathetic thing I have ever read on here.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
wow, you're a real hero.

'I dont worry or care about others' is probably the most pathetic thing I have ever read on here.
Thank you ..you make me feel so proud ....
It's good to be me ....
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray
Totally selfish without a doubt... when it runs out we will all be long dead ..
I don't believe all the hype .... of course its a resource ... to be used ....

Of course now I'm down to a 4.7 V.8

Holy crap i'm going to have all the tree huggers camped at my house, I have a 5.7 Hemi in my 300c it was not fast enough so I had it stroked to 6.4...now it's almost fast enough, but actually gives the same average MPG so I don't feel so bad!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
wow, you're a real hero.

Maybe you could live a little? When in Rome, and all. Get yourself one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Lightning
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildmark
Holy crap i'm going to have all the tree huggers camped at my house, I have a 5.7 Hemi in my 300c it was not fast enough so I had it stroked to 6.4...now it's almost fast enough, but actually gives the same average MPG so I don't feel so bad!
Not fast enough for a Tampa traffic jam, eh?

A lover of fast motors when in Europe, I now can't be arsed. This place has killed my enthusiam! Straight boring roads, full of traffic, public enemy no.1 if you go above 85.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
I'd rather do 120MPH for 30 minutes than 60 MPH for an hour.
Thats all well and good but can you stop when required !Are you really that good ? Any fool can drive in a straight line.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sexytime
while the younger generations still see them as pigs, nazis, and as I hear a lot, "wimps on a power trip who were probably bullied in high school and college and are now redeeming themselves handing out speeding tickets".

Police here still get the same accusations as those back home - racist, fat and lazy, useless at catching major criminals while excelling in catching speeders and jaywalkers, etc.
Difference is the kids would say it to the police over there... not so common here though, they are all 'yes sir, no sir' to their faces at least.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:58 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Difference is the kids would say it to the police over there... not so common here though, they are all 'yes sir, no sir' to their faces at least.
Because there are *consequences* to being rude to a cop here vs there. And in general American kids have more to lose than their UK counterparts (like driving licences). American kids also are aware that the police sadly have beaten the crap out of some people. So while I agree that there's a cultural influence on kids respecting elders and authority figures, there are also some pretty big motivators for American kids to not mouth off.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:54 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Thats all well and good but can you stop when required !Are you really that good ? Any fool can drive in a straight line.
My car has 6 piston Brembo calipers on the front with (GT3) crossdrilled/slotted and vented brake dics and 4 piston Brembo calipers on the rear with crossdrilled/slotted and vented discs on the rear, stainless steel brake lines, synthetic brake fluid and Pagid race pads all round. I'm a NASA (National Auto Sport Association) member and have a N.A.S.A competition license (only available after numerous track days with an instructor) obtained at Watkins Glenn and Lime Rock park track days.

Though not a F.I.A super licence holder I'd say I have a fair enough idea what I'm doing compared to the average Joe.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Any fool can drive in a straight line.
Tell that to John Force or Don Garlits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.