Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bloody US realtors

Wikiposts

Bloody US realtors

Old May 22nd 2006, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody US realtors

Originally Posted by dunroving
News flash: The cash buyer who flew up from Florida offered me the full asking price! We sat down at my kitchen table and wrote onto a blank contract, discussing each part as we went through. We then went to a real estate attorney to talk us through a couple of questions we had, we signed the contract/offer, and we will be closing in 3 weeks!

Yee - flippin' - haw! I can't tell you how relieved I am, at a lot of different levels. Obviously, because my house sold, but also because I trust this person, and she trusts me. She will be a good neighbor, and won't rent the house out to students.

Not only that, but she is letting me stay on, rent free, until I leave the US (a month later)! She won't be moving up here until August, and in fact she is happy to have someone take care of the place rather than have it sit empty.

Thank you Lawdy!
Well done and you get to stay there until you return to the UK. Great news.
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

News flash: The cash buyer who flew up from Florida offered me the full asking price! We sat down at my kitchen table and wrote onto a blank contract, discussing each part as we went through. We then went to a real estate attorney to talk us through a couple of questions we had, we signed the contract/offer, and we will be closing in 3 weeks!

Yee - flippin' - haw! I can't tell you how relieved I am, at a lot of different levels. Obviously, because my house sold, but also because I trust this person, and she trusts me. She will be a good neighbor, and won't rent the house out to students.

Not only that, but she is letting me stay on, rent free, until I leave the US (a month later)! She won't be moving up here until August, and in fact she is happy to have someone take care of the place rather than have it sit empty.

Thank you Lawdy!
I'm glad for you, mate. Well done.
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:33 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

He said that he meant after selling his house (in August), he would have cash.

I should have also called him on the "I can't get an inspection done within 3 weeks" BS too - we managed to set up an inspection for THIS WEDNESDAY! And two other companies I called said they could do it by NEXT TUESDAY!
God, doesn't that make you so angry. He takes you as a complete dork... "If it quacks like a duck..." springs to mind. you are well rid.

Congrats on your sale.

My wife is a Brit, she's a realtor. She mainly only sells for friends, gives a great deal (4%-5%) or if she's the buying and selling agent - 1%-3%. (The buyers agent gets 3% and won't show people round unless they get 3% !!!).

WHAT A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE DO NOT REALISE ABOUT THE 6% THING is that a realtor could end up showing a buyer around 100's of homes before the buyer finds one they like *OR* the since they as "selling" agent often have to be there for "buyers" (wasters), a LOT of time can be consumed before an agent earns their money. There are some REAL quick deals out there for agents and the agents luck out BUT in most instances, my wife does a LOT of hard graft -

Contracts (often 10 or more backwards and frowing)
Negotiating around inspectors
Sales comparisons
Marketing (flyer generations)
marketing (advertising at own costs)
Closing attorneys (making sure all T's and I's)
Dealing with the other (often) dorky agents (not always, some are easy to work with).
EMotional blackmail - houses are funny things
If a house doesn't sell, sitting at an open house all day Sunday!!
They don't make LOADS of sales a month...
Last minute deals (agents cut / eat into margin to close deal)
50%-75% goes to broker and insurance and office space
taxes!!

Unlike a UK agent that sits in a shop window

Last edited by franc11s; May 22nd 2006 at 9:41 am.
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
WHAT A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE DO NOT REALISE ABOUT THE 6% THING is that a realtor could end up showing a buyer around 100's of homes before the buyer finds one they like *OR* the since they as "selling" agent often have to be there for "buyers" (wasters), a LOT of time can be consumer before an agent earns their money. There are some REAL quick deals out there for agents and the agents luck out BUT in most instances, my wife does a LOT of hard graft -

Contracts (often 10 or more backwards and frowing)
Negotiating around inspectors
Sales comparisons
Marketing (flyer generations)
marketing (advertising at own costs)
Closing attorneys (making sure all T's and I's)
Dealing with the other (often) dorky agents (not always, some are easy to work with).
EMotional blackmail - houses are funny things
If a house doesn't sell, sitting at an open house all day Sunday!!
They don't make LOADS of sales a month...

Unlike a UK agent that sits in a shop window
The issue isn't really whether they do more work than UK agents, but whether to sellers their service is worth 6% of the selling price. In that respect, I think there's something seriously awry. Property prices around me have mor ethan doubled in the last few years. Does this mean that the value of the service has also doubled in that time? Somehow, I doubt it, especially as it's been such a strong seller's market. Additionally, it seems realtors them selves are scared of lower-cost, lower-service alternatives; witness the efforts in some states to introduce "minimum service" requirements on real estate agents. Why can't consumers themselves decide what level of service they want to sell their home? Witness, also, NAR's attempts in Washington to prevent banks from moving into the real estate selling business. To me, it smacks of a business scared of alternate models for the selling of real estate.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 22nd 2006 at 9:53 am.
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future

Thank you Lawdy!
Congratulations Dunroving !!! We sold our house just after 5 days and close on the 6th June. Removals are coming in on the 2nd June and we're going into a corporate condo until hometime. I know how you feel with the relief of selling and knowing you've got the money in the bank ready to start all over again in the UK.........I've managed to relax enough to go to the loo regularly again (I know ...too much info...sorry )
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:20 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but the biggest rip-off has to be the closing costs.

Funding Fee
Application Fee
Processing Fee
Commitment Fee
Administration Fee
Recording Fee
Title Search
etc,etc, etc

and what has to be the biggest scam,

Title Insurance

Basically I am paying $1000+ to guarantee that you didn't f uck up when I paid to do the title search. Moneygrabbing b@stards.
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
and what has to be the biggest scam,

Title Insurance

Basically I am paying $1000+ to guarantee that you didn't f uck up when I paid to do the title search. Moneygrabbing b@stards.
Particularly as when you refinance you typically have to shell out another $1000.
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Just getting back to FSBOs a minute, isn't it true that realtors wont show people round them, because of the commission, or lack of it? We bought FSBO, but luckily we hadn't signed an agreement with our really crap realtor, so we were able to get rid of her and just sign for the house, no commission to anyone. Normally though am I thinking that the buyer has to pay an extra 3% (for the realtor)?
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Just getting back to FSBOs a minute, isn't it true that realtors wont show people round them, because of the commission, or lack of it? We bought FSBO, but luckily we hadn't signed an agreement with our really crap realtor, so we were able to get rid of her and just sign for the house, no commission to anyone. Normally though am I thinking that the buyer has to pay an extra 3% (for the realtor)?
Up to you as the FSBO.

You can offer agents their norm - 2% here, or leave it as an issue between the buyer and their Agent.

Whatever works best in your market.
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lizzi
The seller's agent splits it with the buyer's agent - hence possible shenanigans if the seller's agent has his/her own client.
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Realtor = Twat.

Wouldn't trust em as far as I could kick em.
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
The seller's agent splits it with the buyer's agent - hence possible shenanigans if the seller's agent has his/her own client.
Surely there is no seller's agent with a FSBO?

Usually, I believe it is left as an issue between the buyer and his/her realtor. As long as the buyer knows the score, he/she knows how much he/she is willing/able to offer for the house and the seller knows how much he/she is willing to accept. An offer of 100k with 3% buyer's agent commission rolled in is the same as a 97k offer with no buyers agent commission rolled in (i.e., seller makes the same in both situations).

When I bought FSBO in TN, I had a buyer's agent working with me (he was only a buyers agent, never represented sellers). Seller was giving me the house at a very reasonable price so buyer broker was left out of the contract and I simply paid him the commission out of my pocket. He really didn't do a great job, and I found the house myself (the lady across the street from where I was renting met me in the street and told me she was selling her house). But I paid him $2k because I had previously agreed to do that for his services.

The woman who bought my house today, in between writing up the contract and coming back to visit the attorney, zipped around to a local realtor who had "helped her out" (no contract signed with him, I don't think), and gave him $200 cash for his time. Now THAT illustrates what my house sale was all about - two very reasonable, trustworthy people coming to an amicable agreement, trying to be fair to all concerned (including this realtor, who probably was gobsmacked anyone would be so fair).
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely there is no seller's agent with a FSBO?

Usually, I believe it is left as an issue between the buyer and his/her realtor. As long as the buyer knows the score, he/she knows how much he/she is willing/able to offer for the house and the seller knows how much he/she is willing to accept. An offer of 100k with 3% buyer's agent commission rolled in is the same as a 97k offer with no buyers agent commission rolled in (i.e., seller makes the same in both situations).

When I bought FSBO in TN, I had a buyer's agent working with me (he was only a buyers agent, never represented sellers). Seller was giving me the house at a very reasonable price so buyer broker was left out of the contract and I simply paid him the commission out of my pocket. He really didn't do a great job, and I found the house myself (the lady across the street from where I was renting met me in the street and told me she was selling her house). But I paid him $2k because I had previously agreed to do that for his services.

The woman who bought my house today, in between writing up the contract and coming back to visit the attorney, zipped around to a local realtor who had "helped her out" (no contract signed with him, I don't think), and gave him $200 cash for his time. Now THAT illustrates what my house sale was all about - two very reasonable, trustworthy people coming to an amicable agreement, trying to be fair to all concerned (including this realtor, who probably was gobsmacked anyone would be so fair).
Must admit I find it all highly confusing - glad things went so smoothly and turned out well for you dunroving. Are you looking forward to going back?
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Must admit I find it all highly confusing - glad things went so smoothly and turned out well for you dunroving. Are you looking forward to going back?
I'm starting to ... it's all still a bit of a dream, a figment of my imagination. I know from past experience (this is my 5th international move - and last I hope!) that it doesn't really sink in for me until just before I leave. It's hard to get excited when you are so busy being stressed out about everything (especially for me as I'm doing everything myself - the dog hasn't been much help). But having a buyer for the house has made a HUGE difference just in the past 24 hours. I actually breathed out yesterday afternoon (I think I have been holding my breath for the past few days!)
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:13 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to ... it's all still a bit of a dream, a figment of my imagination. I know from past experience (this is my 5th international move - and last I hope!) that it doesn't really sink in for me until just before I leave. It's hard to get excited when you are so busy being stressed out about everything (especially for me as I'm doing everything myself - the dog hasn't been much help). But having a buyer for the house has made a HUGE difference just in the past 24 hours. I actually breathed out yesterday afternoon (I think I have been holding my breath for the past few days!)
Good luck Dunroving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.