Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bloody hell.... we're here!

Bloody hell.... we're here!

Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bloody hell.... we're here!

Just check out my location <-- PoE Sanford, FL last friday. In my mind I was expecting all kinds of bells, whistles, sirens, guns when we turned up, but in reality the experience was so laid back we almost high fived the ladies on the 'nothing to declare' channel on the way out. Got straight through the citizens/permanent resident line without any fingerprints or photographs and taken to a waiting area at secondary behind the lines.

A couple in one of the offices around the waiting area weren't having as good a time as us though.... We could hear loud voices from the office, and then the customs officer came out of the room threatening to arrest the guy he'd been interviewing. Cue another four customs blokes coming to see what the fuss was about, very quickly! It sounded like the guy in the room had a Liverpool accent, but I could be wrong, so don't quote me. End result, despite his girlfriend/wife/partner trying to placate the customs guy by calling him 'darling' (wrong move, just made the situation worse), was they could either leave on the next plane, or be arrested for threatening the officer. From the general gist of the conversation, it was only his 'ass' they were going to arrest, so I guess things work differently around here They obviously failed the attitude test with a vengance.

That situation calmed down (Liverpool pun intended) and I went to a back office to be fingerprinted (ink, not digital), sign both sides of a form, get my passport stamped, and that was it! (Luckily I spotted the stamp was set to May 4th instead of June 4th so the officer amended that and initialled it). I got the 'welcome to America' handshake and thanked the officer for being a gentleman and we were on our way.....

The past three days have been a blur of car hire, buying mobiles, hotels, a full day on I95, ordering furniture and eating takeaways with no fork'n knives! (top tip..... eating mashed potato and gravy with the stirrers out of the coffee stuff in the hotel doesn't work). Tomorrow is apartment complex to sign lease, bank to notify change of address and make sure I can pay for the furniture in one card transaction, and call the cable company to make sure we have somewhere to plug our new 50" plasma into! (free {ok, I know} with the rooms to go package)....

Currently relaxing with the last glass out of a bottle of Lindemans shiraz at a very nice hotel in north Charleston. Can't wait for the reclining couch (with the optional electric package) to get delivered! Are they really that lazy here, they need a motor to put their feet up! I'll have some of that, thank you
Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody hell.... we're here!

Originally Posted by Steve_I
Just check out my location <-- PoE Sanford, FL last friday. In my mind I was expecting all kinds of bells, whistles, sirens, guns when we turned up, but in reality the experience was so laid back we almost high fived the ladies on the 'nothing to declare' channel on the way out. Got straight through the citizens/permanent resident line without any fingerprints or photographs and taken to a waiting area at secondary behind the lines.

A couple in one of the offices around the waiting area weren't having as good a time as us though.... We could hear loud voices from the office, and then the customs officer came out of the room threatening to arrest the guy he'd been interviewing. Cue another four customs blokes coming to see what the fuss was about, very quickly! It sounded like the guy in the room had a Liverpool accent, but I could be wrong, so don't quote me. End result, despite his girlfriend/wife/partner trying to placate the customs guy by calling him 'darling' (wrong move, just made the situation worse), was they could either leave on the next plane, or be arrested for threatening the officer. From the general gist of the conversation, it was only his 'ass' they were going to arrest, so I guess things work differently around here They obviously failed the attitude test with a vengance.

That situation calmed down (Liverpool pun intended) and I went to a back office to be fingerprinted (ink, not digital), sign both sides of a form, get my passport stamped, and that was it! (Luckily I spotted the stamp was set to May 4th instead of June 4th so the officer amended that and initialled it). I got the 'welcome to America' handshake and thanked the officer for being a gentleman and we were on our way.....

The past three days have been a blur of car hire, buying mobiles, hotels, a full day on I95, ordering furniture and eating takeaways with no fork'n knives! (top tip..... eating mashed potato and gravy with the stirrers out of the coffee stuff in the hotel doesn't work). Tomorrow is apartment complex to sign lease, bank to notify change of address and make sure I can pay for the furniture in one card transaction, and call the cable company to make sure we have somewhere to plug our new 50" plasma into! (free {ok, I know} with the rooms to go package)....

Currently relaxing with the last glass out of a bottle of Lindemans shiraz at a very nice hotel in north Charleston. Can't wait for the reclining couch (with the optional electric package) to get delivered! Are they really that lazy here, they need a motor to put their feet up! I'll have some of that, thank you
Congrats
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:19 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the USA
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

YAY! glad you guys made it ok! We are here too, pretty hectic 5 days, will hopefuly have furniture delivered and all done by Tuesday PM. As soon as my PC is hooked up and ready to go, I will be back with the high/low lights!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:38 am
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Glad to hear it all went / is going smoothly. I'm storing up all these bits of information and advice for when we come over in July - can't wait...!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Way to go Bonnie Lad, good to see you are getting stuff sorted out quickly, enjoy getting the keys to your 'new home', soon it will feel like it was all worth while.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all the warm welcomes! Off now for a coffee and doughnut breakfast
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

hi, congrats and best wishes
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:58 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats and welcome to the USA.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Sounds very familiar! Congratulations on your successful arrival, and all the best for getting settled into your apartment. Like you, we arrived (in December) with no furniture or other domestic comforts, but rapidly acquired the necessities in a blur of shopping.

Electric recliner? I guess lots of people really are that lazy!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:21 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats you're not too far up the road from me. I would've told you to give yourself a break and get off 95 onto 17 when you hit the GA border and relax a bit. But then I drive 95 daily.........
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Congrats you're not too far up the road from me. I would've told you to give yourself a break and get off 95 onto 17 when you hit the GA border and relax a bit. But then I drive 95 daily.........
Speed demon!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Awh congrats Steve, good to hear it all went smoothly for ya. So we'll be expecting the avatar to change to you in humungous electric chair!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.