British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bloody crap, stupid US embassy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bloody-crap-stupid-us-embassy-191764/)

waxwabbit Nov 18th 2003 2:20 pm

Bloody crap, stupid US embassy

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So its been 6 weeks since I sent of my checklist on my I-130 application.

My wife decided to ring up their extortionate phone line (£1 an hour) to ask what was up?

Some woman answered who mumbled something about not receiving docs - which docs she wasnt clear on, and my wife hung up coz she felt she didnt know what she was talking about.

I sent off the checklist recorded delivery, by the way.

Ive emailed them now, as Ive been warned not to use their phone line, as they often do not know what they are on about.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Englishmum Nov 18th 2003 2:42 pm

Re: Bloody crap, stupid US embassy

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My wife decided to ring up their extortionate phone line (£1 an hour) to ask what was up?

Some woman answered who mumbled something about not receiving docs - which docs she wasnt clear on, and my wife hung up coz she felt she didnt know what she was talking about.

Ive emailed them now, as Ive been warned not to use their phone line, as they often do not know what they are on about.

Well, with President Bush in town for the next four days I doubt that you will get much luck with dealing with anyone at Grosvenor Square.....I guess they have other things on their mind right now.
:rolleyes: (Oh, and of course it's Thanksgiving next week so I guess they'll be on a go-slow until the first week in December...:confused:

Maggs Nov 18th 2003 2:53 pm

Hello
I e-mailed the US Embassy in London several times for information and they have always replied within 24 hours. Once they replied within 15 minutes! It's definitely better than calling them. Like you, when I called it cost a fortune and they couldn't tell me much anyway! Good luck.

Maggie

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rogerpenycate Nov 18th 2003 3:06 pm

Just for your information, the "hotline" is actually in Edinburgh, which is why you always seem to speak to someone with a Scottish accent !!
When I was going through the process, and like every one else I was anxious for any scrap of information,on my case, that I could get, I also found the best source was emailing the Embassy.
The information the hotline has always seemed to be at least a couple of days out of date.
Good luck

Bookworm Nov 18th 2003 5:42 pm

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Just wait and see - it might get worse! A friend of mine send his passport with a registered mail return envelope - guess what happened? Those goof-balls lost his passport!

Paul&Dawn Nov 18th 2003 8:37 pm

Hi,

Emailing the Embassy is definitely the best route. When you call, you just get through to a call centre, no better than the BCIS customer service line. When I was going through the K1 Fiancee Visa process, the Embassy emailed my fiance with a date for my interview, but when I called to get confirmation the call centre staff said there was no record of our case number anywhere in the system!

We also found that, as we were advised, it is better for the US citizen to contact the Embassy. At the end of the day, the US Embassy is there to serve US citizens, not UK citizens.

The Embassy staff really do try to help speed things up.

I'm sure it will all get sorted out quickly for you. Good luck.

Dawn :)

Bookworm Nov 19th 2003 2:22 am

Originally posted by Paul&Dawn
Hi,

Emailing the Embassy is definitely the best route. When you call, you just get through to a call centre, no better than the BCIS customer service line. When I was going through the K1 Fiancee Visa process, the Embassy emailed my fiance with a date for my interview, but when I called to get confirmation the call centre staff said there was no record of our case number anywhere in the system!

We also found that, as we were advised, it is better for the US citizen to contact the Embassy. At the end of the day, the US Embassy is there to serve US citizens, not UK citizens.

The Embassy staff really do try to help speed things up.

I'm sure it will all get sorted out quickly for you. Good luck.

Dawn :)
Of course the US embassy is for US citizens, every embassy is for its citizens. But as soon as countries require visa for citizens of other countries than their embassies become also service institutions for the citizens of other countries.
Fact is that there are huge differences in the service level between embassies in different countries. The US embassy in Sweden, where I applied because I lived in Sweden, was very helpful and rather friendly. I heard only horror stories about the UK embassy. They are a complete mess and so is the one in Germany.

smiler125 Nov 19th 2003 6:31 am

Not sure how they can justify a £1.30 a minute, and then having people answering the phone who know almost nothing. Everytime I rang I was put on hold for ages for them to get information, then they referred me to the web site

I also found emailing the best way to communicate and get the right information

NC Penguin Nov 19th 2003 1:27 pm

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You simply have to be more patient. Those who can apply for visas through the US Embassy in London are very fortunate so get a grip and just sit tight.

Just thank your lucky stars you don't have to apply through a service centre in the US. Just read the real "horror" stories of separated couples on the US Immigration and US Marriage Based Visas forum for some jawdropping waits.

Your six weeks is nothing !

NC Penguin

Duncan Roberts Nov 19th 2003 1:30 pm

a guy i met at my interview said he called the IRS number and asked the guy he spoke to if there was any way he could get information, 10 minutes later the IRS guy came back and had all the information he needed. might be worth a try. i found email to be superb though

waxwabbit Nov 19th 2003 3:08 pm

I was only concerned as Id been told by others doing DCF that 6 weeks is coming to the end of a response after sending the checklist. That and the fact that the dimwit on the phone reckoned they hadnt received our docs!

Originally posted by NC Penguin
You simply have to be more patient. Those who can apply for visas through the US Embassy in London are very fortunate so get a grip and just sit tight.

Just thank your lucky stars you don't have to apply through a service centre in the US. Just read the real "horror" stories of separated couples on the US Immigration and US Marriage Based Visas forum for some jawdropping waits.

Your six weeks is nothing !

NC Penguin