Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Blood donation

Wikiposts

Blood donation

Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blood donation

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You cannot be an organ donor either.
Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
I did not know that I asked to have the fact that I would be willing to donate on my state ID card.
I knew about the blood donations - didn't know it affected organ donations. I am an organ donor - I have the little donor icon on my Ohio driver's license. No-one has ever said anything to me about it when I've gone to the DMV to renew it every 4 years.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I knew about the blood donations - didn't know it affected organ donations. I am an organ donor
It doesn't ... not everything you read is true.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It doesn't ... not everything you read is true.
Okay - thanks for that information!
Old Nov 6th 2013, 9:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexasPenguin
...... One though I have had and don't know whether it's possible - on a trip back to the UK would it be possible to just walk into a mobile donation unit and give blood?
I think in theory "yes", but there are rules in the UK too, and I don't know if it is still the case, but it used to be that you couldn't have been out of the country (UK) during the prior 14 days.

I have kept an eye on the vCJD death statistics in the UK, as I had always been a sceptic about the connection to BSE, and the need for the mass slaughter of cattle. The fatalities in the UK peaked in 2000 at 28, but had dropped to 20 the following year, and were down to 5 by 2005. Since then there have been 2-5 fatalities per year. I would guess that there are many "extremely rare" diseases that cause more fatalities each year in the UK than vCJD.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 6th 2013 at 9:51 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I knew about the blood donations - didn't know it affected organ donations. I am an organ donor - I have the little donor icon on my Ohio driver's license. No-one has ever said anything to me about it when I've gone to the DMV to renew it every 4 years.
Whether you can donate your organs has nothing to do with the DMV. The DMV simply adds your name to a registry which the organ banks have access to and cross reference when a death occurs. The organ banks make the final decision about the suitability of any eye, tissue, or organ donation.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, the death rate is now lower in the UK than the US.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/cjd/i...-rate-2009.png

However it s only vCJD that has a purported connection to BSE.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:17 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

There is actually two type of CJD according to the CDC one was in the US already and not transmittable by blood, this mainly occurs in older people and then there is variant CJD which is the one that is linked to BSE which is whet the Government are worried in this case, yet all the deaths from CJD either classic or variant are lumped together in this chart.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/cjd/
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
There is actually two type of CJD according to the CDC one was in the US already and not transmittable by blood, this mainly occurs in older people and then there is variant CJD which is the one that is linked to BSE which is whet the Government are worried in this case, yet all the deaths from CJD either classic or variant are lumped together in this chart.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/cjd/
Ah, ok, I didn't realize that CJD (as opposed to vCJD) wasn't transmissible by blood. The current UK death rate of around 2 for vCJD would correspond to around 12 in the US. It would be interesting to know what the US figure is.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:33 am

..... The current UK death rate of around 2 for vCJD would correspond to around 12 in the US. .....
Prorated for population? ... The US would be "10" having almost exactly five times the population of the UK.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Prorated for population? ... The US would be "10" having almost exactly five times the population of the UK.
ok
Old Nov 7th 2013, 4:38 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

That's because most of the Beef turned out to be Horse.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 4:39 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
That's because most of the Beef turned out to be Horse.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that the USDA was pretty much in denial that BSE was an American problem and that it was just other countries. Which strikes me more as protectionism and trade restriction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.