Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Blood donation

Wikiposts

Blood donation

Old Nov 4th 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blood donation

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
I felt this was a very discriminatory practice as the risk of CJD is very small and this is an overly cautious, media driven precaution.
I'm not allowed to donate blood in the UK either, because I received a blood transfusion in 2003.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:22 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Same with me, both because of my time in Africa and the UK.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nor are you ability to donate blood and/or organs if you have had cancer in the past, even if it is over 20 years since you had the disease.

Originally Posted by NatashaB
You are not allowed to donate blood or organs (although I put the organ donor sticker on my driver's license anyway; I figure they might be able to use them for research at least). You can donate bone marrow though. You don't even need to leave home to sign up, they will send you the donation kit.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:20 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Nor are you ability to donate blood and/or organs if you have had cancer in the past, even if it is over 20 years since you had the disease.
Doesn't this depend upon the type of cancer and how it was treated? Cancers of the blood (leukemia, lymphoma) do automatically disqualify someone from ever donating blood.

However, having a history of certain other types of cancer that have been successfully treated in the past with surgery or radiation, for instance, does not prevent one from donating blood--providing a certain amount of time has elapsed with no recurrance.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donatin...criteria-topic
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well the Red Cross was the organization that sent me packing and told me they would not accept my blood and that I could not donate organs because of breast cancer. They the gene that causes breast cancer is carried in the blood and they don't want contaminate someone elses blood with my genes.

BTW I had previously donated over a gallon of blood.

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Doesn't this depend upon the type of cancer and how it was treated? Cancers of the blood (leukemia, lymphoma) do automatically disqualify someone from ever donating blood.

However, having a history of certain other types of cancer that have been successfully treated in the past with surgery or radiation, for instance, does not prevent one from donating blood--providing a certain amount of time has elapsed with no recurrance.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donatin...criteria-topic
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

I too have been mildly irritated that I can't give blood here. I got up to 100 pints in England and quite liked the "warm and fuzzy" you got each time!
I have signed up for the Bone Marrow registry http://http://bethematch.org/ and there's apparently no problem with that.
One though I have had and don't know whether it's possible - on a trip back to the UK would it be possible to just walk into a mobile donation unit and give blood?
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:34 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Well the Red Cross was the organization that sent me packing and told me they would not accept my blood and that I could not donate organs because of breast cancer. They the gene that causes breast cancer is carried in the blood and they don't want contaminate someone elses blood with my genes.
Hmmm, yes I think this was the fear in the past, that there was a small chance cancer could be transmitted via blood transfusion. But the American Red Cross changed the rule for cancer survivors a few years ago.

http://www.newenglandblood.org/giving/cancer.htm

After careful consideration, the Red Cross now believes that it is acceptable for most cancer survivors to donate blood 12 months after their last treatment is completed if they meet all other eligibility criteria.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been able to donate blood for years.

In the US every death must be immediately reported to the State tissue/organ donation program. This is federal law. It doesn't matter whether the patient has a sticker on their license or not. The nurse reporting the death has a conversation with the organ procurement agency about the deceased medical history. Based on the information given, the organ procurement folks decide whether the patient is a candidate for either eye or tissue donation. The conversation about organ donation occurs prior to death, usually when brain death has been established.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:57 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I have not been able to donate blood for years.

In the US every death must be immediately reported to the State tissue/organ donation program. This is federal law. It doesn't matter whether the patient has a sticker on their license or not. The nurse reporting the death has a conversation with the organ procurement agency about the deceased medical history. Based on the information given, the organ procurement folks decide whether the patient is a candidate for either eye or tissue donation. The conversation about organ donation occurs prior to death, usually when brain death has been established.
Wouldn't expect a clear response from a brain dead person

Never heard of this federal law when was it enacted?
Old Nov 5th 2013, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of this federal law when was it enacted?
Uniform Anatomical Gift Act,1986 (Last amended 2009)

Last edited by DebzinUS; Nov 5th 2013 at 5:26 am.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ha ...should have said the conversation occurs with the organ procurement agency about the potential donor
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I am O= (rhesus and cmv negative) and used to give blood every 3 months to my local hospital when we lived in Louisiana, was a member of their "Baby Club" as my blood was used for new borns. I was disappointed when the new rules came into place, but as is pointed out above that is America's problem, no point worrying about it.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:23 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered that people at my place of employment don't share my sense of humour.
We had a blood drive , where people were encouraged to go and gve blood. I was telling people that I couldn't ( rules are similar here in Canada)

There are a few expats on staff so a colleague asked " oh is it because you are English"
Noone saw the humour in my saying "no its because I used to be a prostitute!"

Cue shocked faces and noone knowing quite what to say
No sense of humour at all
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:16 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
There are a few expats on staff so a colleague asked " oh is it because you are English"
Noone saw the humour in my saying "no its because I used to be a prostitute!"

Cue shocked faces and noone knowing quite what to say
No sense of humour at all
If no-one got their wallets out and chanced their arm you should be offended.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:25 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't donate blood you can always become a volunteer for the American Red Cross Blood Services. I've couriered blood for 5 years around Oregon and Washington State when a hospital needs blood urgently. You can also help out at blood drives, helping others to donate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.