Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Blood Donation

Blood Donation

Old May 27th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Blood Donation

I just got back from donating blood today after work, and it made me wonder whether there is a similar setup in the US?

Given the whole private medical thing, it's unlikely to work in the same way. Do any of you guys know how this works, or perhaps even do it yourselves?

Will, as a resident alien, I be able to get involved?

Thanks
Old May 27th 2010, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blood Donation

Originally Posted by srefre
I just got back from donating blood today after work, and it made me wonder whether there is a similar setup in the US?

Given the whole private medical thing, it's unlikely to work in the same way. Do any of you guys know how this works, or perhaps even do it yourselves?

Will, as a resident alien, I be able to get involved?

Thanks
Yes, there is a similar set up here in the US.
No, as a (former) UK resident, you cannot donate. Mad cow disease and all that.
Old May 27th 2010, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes, there is a similar set up here in the US.
No, as a (former) UK resident, you cannot donate. Mad cow disease and all that.
Really?
I'm not questioning my potential eligibility, just the reason for not being able to.

Also I take it by your wording that means I will never be able to donate, even after having been in the US for a certain period of time?
Old May 27th 2010, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby (US native) used to donate thru' his job every year (Military) after we did a stint in the UK for a couple years, he has never been able to donate here since! He was pretty upset and still thinks it's stupid, but it's just the rules. There was talk a year or so back of changing it, so you could donate after say 5/10 years of leaving the UK, but haven't heard anything definite on that.

Same thing goes for donating organs too, as far as I know
Old May 27th 2010, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Really?
I'm not questioning my potential eligibility, just the reason for not being able to.

Also I take it by your wording that means I will never be able to donate, even after having been in the US for a certain period of time?
There is a particular timeframe when if you lived in the UK for more than a few months you are ineligible. I want to say 1980-96 for six months.

A USC friend of mine who spent sometime at a UK university in the 80s suddenly found out she couldn't donate.

I would like to point out that although you cannot donate blood, you can still donate bone marrow. Probably because if you are a match for the patient it then becomes a one to one relationship and they can test you specifically and it is up to the patient to decide. Please register for the bone marrow registry, many people could be helped.
Old May 27th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks!

Just found this page also. http://www.americasblood.org/go.cfm?do=Page.View&pid=2

Its funny, its not like me not donating really affects me, just makes me a bit sad that I can't do it. Especially with no proof CJD is transmitted through blood, although I guess no proof it is not either.
Old May 27th 2010, 5:45 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Same thing goes for donating organs too, as far as I know
Hm, I was in the UK for five years and signed up as an organ donor when I returned to the US and they didn't ask me any questions. Though it was through the DMV and I don't know if they're even aware I had been overseas, since I'd maintained a US license for a different state.
Old May 27th 2010, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

As the law currently stands, that will be the case if you lived in the UK in the window from '80 - '96:

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donatin...l-listing#arc5
Old May 27th 2010, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I would like to point out that although you cannot donate blood, you can still donate bone marrow. Probably because if you are a match for the patient it then becomes a one to one relationship and they can test you specifically and it is up to the patient to decide. Please register for the bone marrow registry, many people could be helped.
We are all on it, my SIL has leukemia, unfortunately none of us were a match
Old May 27th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

This thread got me thinking... when was the last time you heard about a human having CJD? It seems like it has been a long time, maybe it is still happening but is not news worthy?
Old May 27th 2010, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
This thread got me thinking... when was the last time you heard about a human having CJD? It seems like it has been a long time, maybe it is still happening but is not news worthy?
http://www.cjd.ed.ac.uk/figures.htm

CJD has been round a long time, so these cases didn't start with the mad cow scare. Suffice to say, a small number of deaths (see the vCJD column) can presumably be attributed to mad cow, but there has been no epidemic as predicted 15 years ago. Also, the numbers of vCJD are now tailing off to next to nothing.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 27th 2010 at 6:14 pm.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I gave blood regularly and was on the bone marrow register in the UK. As I am not allowed to give blood here in the US how can I get registered as a bone marrow donor? In the UK it was done when I went to give blood one time.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:16 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

They still don't know whether there will be a spike, an epidemic, if you will.
I seem to remember reading that the people that got sick and died may have had a genetic susceptibility to it. But we could all be carrying it, and it may have an 20 or 40 year incubation period. And then boom, millions of us get it.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
http://www.cjd.ed.ac.uk/figures.htmAlso, the numbers of vCJD are now tailing off to next to nothing.
That would explain it.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
They still don't know whether there will be a spike, an epidemic, if you will.
I seem to remember reading that the people that got sick and died may have had a genetic susceptibility to it. But we could all be carrying it, and it may have an 20 or 40 year incubation period. And then boom, millions of us get it.
Nothing's certain, but the fact that the number of vCJD cases per year has declined to almost 0 makes this kind of scenario increasingly unlikely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.