Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster and Netflix Online Rentals

Blockbuster and Netflix Online Rentals

Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blockbuster and Netflix Online Rentals

Now I know this has been done before....so no scolding. This is just information. And it may be different wherever you live.... We did a free 2 week trial membership with Netflix, had superiour service and was very pleased. Well to be fair to the competition, we tried Blockbuster as well - same monthly price, and of course a 2 week "free trial". Blockbuster is horrible ( I told them I'd pass on their reputation....I'm so glad that I can!) In the 2 weeks we were lucky to get 3 dvd's, one of which was so badly scratched we couldn't watch it. They never informed us when the two week trial was up, and even though I cancelled the membership (didn't cancel it on the right day) they charged us $20 for a month. When I called the customer service she went on a tirade about how the dvd's are mailed from all over and that the service center isn't necessarily where you mail your dvd's back to. Well ok, perhaps its the same with Netflix. Except when I got an email from Netflix saying a movie was mailed to us, we got it the next day. With Blockbuster it was more like 3 to 4 days. Then customer service says, well if I would have called to complain they could have made some adjustments. Well gee on a two week free trial you'd think they'd pull out the stops and then start the bad service after you paid. But then again, I ended up paying for a free trial anyway.

Anyway, just my opinion....but if anyone is thinking of trying to the two, I recommend Netflix.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Blockbuster and Netflix Online Rentals

Get Hollywood Video MVP pass. Cheaper, MUCH greater selection, and more availability.

btw: Scratched disks are not a blockbuster exlusive. Plenty of Netflix customers have complained of scratched dvd's. All rental companies have that exact problem. However -- At least with BB or HV you can go back and get another one so your romantic evening with that special one isn't ruined on track 4.

-= nav =-
Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blockbuster and Netflix Online Rentals

Originally Posted by supernav
Get Hollywood Video MVP pass. Cheaper, MUCH greater selection, and more availability.

btw: Scratched disks are not a blockbuster exlusive. Plenty of Netflix customers have complained of scratched dvd's. All rental companies have that exact problem. However -- At least with BB or HV you can go back and get another one so your romantic evening with that special one isn't ruined on track 4.

-= nav =-
Yeah I know the scratched disk isn't just courtesy of BB. And in fairness to them they replaced, but it took forever to get another movie. Anyway.....in the long run we've decided we don't watch that many movies to warrant spending whatever amount monthly.....but it was nice to try them both out to see how their service worked.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thats strange about the Hollywood MVP because I found that the latest releases were never marked MVP. I asked and was told it takes a few weeks for them to go onto MVP status. It is slightly cheaper though I think. I liked netflix when I tried them out, 1 day to get here 1 day to get back.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:01 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Netflix will mail a title out from the colo center nearest to you. If the title on your list isn't available there, it'll be mailed from another facility, somewhere else in the country.

I've used Netflix for about a year now, very happy with it, considering the mean cost of each title is $0.30 per day. Occasionally, we'd get a disc with a scratch in it, that causes the movie to skip - once in a blue moon, we'd get a badly scratched disc, though they seem to have stepped up their quality assessments lately.
Cracked or shattered discs used to be frequent, but this is a problem more attributable to the USPS' sorting machines, than Netflix themselves.

Blockbuster, on the other hand, my wife and I have had nothing but terrible experiences with their in-store service, for both DVDs and games. They have a smaller selection of titles compared to Netflix as well. They also try their best to gank you for late fees even if you return the title shortly before midday - it becomes your word vs a biscuit faced teen who checked the bin at 11.40 because they "had to go to lunch at 12".