Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Blizzard in the Northeast

Wikiposts

Blizzard in the Northeast

Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blizzard in the Northeast

Well it snowed most of the night around here but none of it stuck and now it's a roasty 34F that what did has pretty much melted in the sun....should be nice bit of ice in the evening

We're had more snow in a none blizzard than that
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:44 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
A similar tale from Western New York. Lovely spring day.

Since moving here in January 2009 all I've heard from the locals is "This certainly isn't a typical xxxxxxx" (insert whatever season or month name you like into that comment.)

So I have yet to figure out whether the current blue skies are typical, atypical or whether people here have short memories...
It is an unusual winter. We've had a mild winter with not too much snow (although we have some on the ground now.) Other places have had more snow than usual. Outer Cape Cod, for instance, usually gets just occasional snowfall but this year they've had tons. My daughter drives a snow plow for one of the towns out there, and she was able to take a ten day Caribbean vacation without taking any vacation days .. she just used the comp time she'd accumulated by plowing for 16-hour shifts night after night. Fortunately it didn't snow while she was away
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:56 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Us too. No snow here since last week. Sunny and in the twenties.. it's like spring here. And I just checked the Cape Cod forecast.. sunny & mid-30s today and for the next few days. Is it really snowing somewhere or is this just a wind-up??
Just went out and washed the car. This February really is strange.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:59 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too far from Englishmum in North-Central NJ, and we ended up with about a foot. Sidewalk and driveway needed to be cleared 3 times, but it wasn't too bad. I even ended up shoveling the neighbor's sidewalk this morning as I felt really guilty for not doing it yesterday (her husband is working in France and she has two kids and I had to work yesterday). All in all, I've seen worse for sure, including heavier, drifting snow, but if that's the last one we get this season, I'll be a happy man. I'm bored of wearing five layers every day. I want light funky jacket and open neck shirt weather again!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:48 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
I'm not too far from Englishmum in North-Central NJ, and we ended up with about a foot. Sidewalk and driveway needed to be cleared 3 times, but it wasn't too bad. I even ended up shoveling the neighbor's sidewalk this morning as I felt really guilty for not doing it yesterday (her husband is working in France and she has two kids and I had to work yesterday). All in all, I've seen worse for sure, including heavier, drifting snow, but if that's the last one we get this season, I'll be a happy man. I'm bored of wearing five layers every day. I want light funky jacket and open neck shirt weather again!
Unfortunately, where I live it's mosquito season the day after winter goes away...
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well, in northern New Jersey we were lucky to miss the white-out snow conditions which hit Washington DC, Philadelphia up to mid-NJ last weekend.

However, the snow here in the Tri-State area (which includes New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) is very, very heavy and I expect most of the Northeast is also badly affected. We are almost 20 miles west of Manhatten and it's now white-out conditions here and we are getting blips in our power supply (and we are all-electric...). I think the snow is about 10 inches deep right now and still snowing hard and may not stop until about 6am tomorrow.

All of Continental Airlines' flights have been cancelled at Newark airport, as have Virgin Atlantics and British Airways. The trains are still running though, but the road outside my house is no longer being ploughed by the contractor the council has hired...I guess he's tired and called it a day. It's really dark yet it's not 4pm yet!

I do wonder why the electric wires are not underground...the weight of the snow is bound to bring down branches and power lines at the rate it is snowing...

New York traffic in that kind of weather? Now, that's a survival test that Bear Grylls wouldn't try. This area of Illinois was expecting 8 in., but we lucked out and got only 4.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:26 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
New York traffic in that kind of weather? Now, that's a survival test that Bear Grylls wouldn't try. This area of Illinois was expecting 8 in., but we lucked out and got only 4.
Read an article this am comparing the response of DC and NYC to their snow. DC won the "best choice of snowball fights," but NYC came out ahead on everything else.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:08 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It's been blizzarding all day in Texas.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:14 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I must be sad I am off to Tahoe next week to be in the snow, it won't come to me so I am going to it. lol

Last edited by Poppy girl; Feb 11th 2010 at 9:25 am.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

I can happily report that I haven't seen a single snow flake here in Austin, TX for over a year!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:59 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tom60
We got 4+6+2
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:56 am
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

We had 20" then the next day another 6" then another 10" on top of that.
(Pittsburgh)
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:11 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Well the Gulf Coast is closing down, schools, college, bases all closed due to potential 1-3 inches of snow tommorow, they reckon no one knows how to drive in snow so its precautionary!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:21 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Well the Gulf Coast is closing down, schools, college, bases all closed due to potential 1-3 inches of snow tommorow, they reckon no one knows how to drive in snow so its precautionary!
That's the forecast we got here for Fri at rush hour, so just in case I am getting out and doing errands in the am.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
It's been blizzarding all day in Texas.
yep...still snowing here...school's have already posted their closings for tomorrow as it's all about to freeze. Over 100 traffic accidents reported in Fort Worth this morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.