British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bleeping Any Nurses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bleeping-any-nurses-926358/)

sailaice Jul 11th 2019 2:01 am

Bleeping Any Nurses

I’m a UK trained nurse, Bilingual in both Spanish and English wanting to emigrate with my family to USA. Can anyone help me?

civilservant Jul 11th 2019 9:55 am

Re: Bleeping Any Nurses

Put simply it is very unlikely to happen based on your work, bilingual or not. Not least because UK training programs do not cover all the requirements to be registerd as an RN in the US (in most cases)

You are basically looking at an organization sponsoring you, and spending many thousands of $$$ to do so, so what do you bring to the table that a US based nurse, that could start tomorrow and will not cost them thousands, does not have?

What does your husband do for a living?

Rete Jul 11th 2019 2:42 pm

We have several posters who were UK nurses who emigrated to the US based on their nursing degrees. Perhaps one of them will see this and respond.

There is also a forum dedicated to just this subject further down the main page of BE. My suggestion is to search it out and read and ask questions there as well.

sailaice Jul 11th 2019 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12709320)
We have several posters who were UK nurses who emigrated to the US based on their nursing degrees. Perhaps one of them will see this and respond.

There is also a forum dedicated to just this subject further down the main page of BE. My suggestion is to search it out and read and ask questions there as well.

that’s great, I can’t see it? What’s it called?

sailaice Jul 11th 2019 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12709204)
Put simply it is very unlikely to happen based on your work, bilingual or not. Not least because UK training programs do not cover all the requirements to be registerd as an RN in the US (in most cases)

You are basically looking at an organization sponsoring you, and spending many thousands of $$$ to do so, so what do you bring to the table that a US based nurse, that could start tomorrow and will not cost them thousands, does not have?

What does your husband do for a living?

he worka for a water treatment company

tom169 Jul 11th 2019 11:20 pm

Check out O'Grady Peyton

MMcD Jul 12th 2019 12:09 am

Originally Posted by sailaice (Post 12709445)

https://britishexpats.com/forum/work...profession-73/

Rete Jul 12th 2019 1:54 am

Originally Posted by sailaice (Post 12709445)

I directed you to look down the BE main site page ... anyway https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurs...ccupations-72/

sarasota chic Jul 12th 2019 3:57 am

Originally Posted by sailaice (Post 12709131)
I’m a UK trained nurse, Bilingual in both Spanish and English wanting to emigrate with my family to USA. Can anyone help me?

Hi Sailaice I’ve sent you a PM.

ICUnursey Jul 13th 2019 9:01 am

Hi ,it is still possible to migrate to the US as a nurse . It takes a while and depends on when you trained. If you completed your training prior to the end of Project 2000 then you might be able to get CGFNS to approve your transcript. Nurse training after Project 2000 specialized so much that it didn't cover all the areas you need especially psych,paediatric and maternity. The only way to know for sure is to register with CGFNS,or similar company,and get your transcript evaluated. There are many agencies that help with the migration process in exchange for a few years commitment from you. The advantage for you is that you get to the US with permanent resident status. Good luck .

bob_bob Jul 14th 2019 7:53 am

You need to jump some hoops to work in the USA, Canada IIRC is a little easier, Australia and New Zealand are comparatively easy to get work in. Over the years I lost two of my Nurse team to the USA, 1 to Canada, 3 to Australia and 2 to New Zealand. One in Australia has done very well out there and gone up the ladder, one came back from the USA (lost touch after that) all the New Zealand and Australian nurses are still out there. You said on the Spanish forum you have only been qualified for a year, if I were you I'd get more experience before looking to move. No offence but I found newly graduated nurses needed a little looking after for about a year to get them up to full speed. Its nice to have your nursing degree but sadly you just don't learn enough of the clinical aspect of nursing from it.

Good luck with your relocation.

sarasota chic Jul 14th 2019 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by bob_bob (Post 12710173)
You need to jump some hoops to work in the USA, Canada IIRC is a little easier, Australia and New Zealand are comparatively easy to get work in. Over the years I lost two of my Nurse team to the USA, 1 to Canada, 3 to Australia and 2 to New Zealand. One in Australia has done very well out there and gone up the ladder, one came back from the USA (lost touch after that) all the New Zealand and Australian nurses are still out there. You said on the Spanish forum you have only been qualified for a year, if I were you I'd get more experience before looking to move. No offence but I found newly graduated nurses needed a little looking after for about a year to get them up to full speed. Its nice to have your nursing degree but sadly you just don't learn enough of the clinical aspect of nursing from it.

Good luck with your relocation.

The OP will have to be in possession of the required hours in psych, obstetrics and paeds, the issues a lot of post Project 2000 nurses are having is their training doesn’t meet the requirements of the BON’s. I was lucky I trained just before Project 2000 was fully implemented I had no issues relocating to the USA.
The OP will be required to have at least 2 years post reg experience in acute care, the USA is now one of the hardest countries to immigrate to even with qualifications you jump through hoops.

marta29 Jul 15th 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by sailaice (Post 12709131)

Hey! It is gonna be so hard! It took my friend 10 years to get her nurse diploma in USA approved

bob_bob Jul 15th 2019 10:15 am

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12710443)

The OP will have to be in possession of the required hours in psych, obstetrics and paeds, the issues a lot of post Project 2000 nurses are having is their training doesn’t meet the requirements of the BON’s. I was lucky I trained just before Project 2000 was fully implemented I had no issues relocating to the USA.
The OP will be required to have at least 2 years post reg experience in acute care, the USA is now one of the hardest countries to immigrate to even with qualifications you jump through hoops.

As I said, she needs more experience. I was a ward manager in the UK before I retired and to be honest the quality of graduate training here does not impress me (and others). Project 2000 was a joke, the Diploma was better but still not great and they need to go back to the drawing board with the degree course. Sadly the universities tell the students that the degree is super duper and they will be great nurses, sadly the nurses start their real training when they land on the ward.