Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner (and the Final Cut)

Blade Runner (and the Final Cut)

Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blade Runner (and the Final Cut)

I'm pretty excited that me and Mr. NC Penguin are going to see Blade Runner: The Final Cut this week in Durham. The local independent cinema, the Carolina Theatre, has one of only four copies of this movie that are available in the US.

Now my question is, how comes when I mention this movie to people, nobody's heard of Blade Runner? I thought this was a classic movie or is it a cult classic?

Admittedly, one of the people I spoke to about it is 24 years old so she wasn't even born when the original cinema version of Blade Runner was released.

I've only ever seen the movie on TV and sometimes, you just have to see a movie on the big screen. I even saw Total Recall in the cinema, enjoyed that very much and I don't even consider myself a sci-fi fan.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blade Runner (and the Final Cut)

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm pretty excited that me and Mr. NC Penguin are going to see Blade Runner: The Final Cut this week in Durham. The local independent cinema, the Carolina Theatre, has one of only four copies of this movie that are available in the US.

Now my question is, how comes when I mention this movie to people, nobody's heard of Blade Runner? I thought this was a classic movie or is it a cult classic?

Admittedly, one of the people I spoke to about it is 24 years old so she wasn't even born when the original cinema version of Blade Runner was released.

I've only ever seen the movie on TV and sometimes, you just have to see a movie on the big screen. I even saw Total Recall in the cinema, enjoyed that very much and I don't even consider myself a sci-fi fan.
Classic
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Classic
Thank goodness someone knows this film. I wouldn't be surprised if The Final Cut is playing somewhere near you.

I heard on NPR that there's Blade Runner fans from GA, SC and other states coming to Durham to see the Final Cut! Talk about diehard fans.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness someone knows this film. I wouldn't be surprised if The Final Cut is playing somewhere near you.

I heard on NPR that there's Blade Runner fans from GA, SC and other states coming to Durham to see the Final Cut! Talk about diehard fans.
Its a huge cult - you are just talking to the wrong people - and there are many directors cuts!

The original script killed off Ford - but coming off Star Wars it wasnt considered good to kill such a star!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'll look out for it
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Big D
Its a huge cult - you are just talking to the wrong people - and there are many directors cuts!

The original script killed off Ford - but coming off Star Wars it wasnt considered good to kill such a star!
No. I think the Final Cut really is what it says. Ridley Scott insisted on editing this version himself since it was to be called "the Final Cut". At least that's what I heard on the NPR broadcast.

You can hear the NPR story here:
http://wunc.org/tsot/archive/sot0111...blade%20runner
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:16 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody from my generation has seen it and loves it .... but it is getting pretty old.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No. I think the Final Cut really is what it says. Ridley Scott insisted on editing this version himself since it was to be called "the Final Cut". At least that's what I heard on the NPR broadcast.

You can hear the NPR story here:
http://wunc.org/tsot/archive/sot0111...blade%20runner
I saw it when it came out and it had the narration which Ridley Scott didn't want, there was a director's cut without that, will be interesting to see what else he wanted.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Everybody from my generation has seen it and loves it .... but it is getting pretty old.
25 years old? If that's old and you and me are are over 30, what's that make us then?

I don't think the movie looks dated because it is set in the future so the scenery looks very futuristic (actually reminds me of Japan a lot of the time).
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:48 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen it. Heard of it though.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have it (BR - The Final Cut) at the top of my DVD rental list (Amazon.co.uk) - so it's out on DVD here ...
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:58 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

25 years old? If that's old and you and me are are over 30, what's that make us then?

I don't think the movie looks dated because it is set in the future so the scenery looks very futuristic (actually reminds me of Japan a lot of the time).
Yeah but think about it .... when you were 24 or 25 had you seen many of the films made around the time of your birth?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Never seen it. Heard of it though.
Rutger Hauer in a decent role
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should mention this, I just ordered the DVD yesterday.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

The version I'm seeing on Friday is 2 hours 7 minutes in length. It may be available on DVD but it's going to look stunning on a big cinema screen. I just hope no cellphones ring during the screening. I shall want to thump the culprit very hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.