British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Black History Month (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/black-history-month-358405/)

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 2nd 2006 4:13 am

Re: Black History Month

Originally Posted by Boiler
I will look and post, I found it fascinating.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...7-c589c01ca7bf

BigDavyG Mar 2nd 2006 1:37 pm

Ha ha - the teacher sounds like some posters on here :)

anotherlimey Mar 2nd 2006 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ha ha - the teacher sounds like some posters on here :)

"But what I'm trying to get you to do is to think about these issues more in depth and not to just take things from the surface"

That sounds like pretty good advice to me.... :rolleyes:

Comparing Bush to Hitler might be going a bit far though.

BigDavyG Mar 2nd 2006 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
"But what I'm trying to get you to do is to think about these issues more in depth and not to just take things from the surface"

That sounds like pretty good advice to me.... :rolleyes:

Comparing Bush to Hitler might be going a bit far though.

It was the hole comparing Hilter to bush thing then saying "I'm not trying to say that they're the same" that made me laugh - happens a lot on here

anotherlimey Mar 2nd 2006 2:13 pm

It was the hole comparing Hilter to bush thing then saying "I'm not trying to say that they're the same" that made me laugh - happens a lot on here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

:)

BigDavyG Mar 2nd 2006 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

Cool
I also like this one which I found on a link to the above...

Benford's law of controversy, as established by science fiction author Gregory Benford in 1980, states
Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available.

Ben Mar 2nd 2006 11:30 pm

Coming into a country that had legal segregation in my lifetime, I don't believe we should be that surprised that there is such a thing as Black History Month. When you think that the parents of the children in school today were part of that segregation, they will pass down that history to their children.

And as someone has already pointed out, there are many neighbourhoods that are not mixed, and sometimes this is still because people don't want it. We have a couple of homes up for sale in our neighbourhood and my american neighbours have pointed out that they wouldn't like a black or latino family moving in because it WILL reduce the value of their home. There wasn't any 'it might' or 'there is a chance it could' reduce the price. It was a definite. And yet, these people work with many different races at work and have no problems with their work colleagues and are very happy to mix outside of work with on occasion.

Sometimes, these things do have to be pointed out and discussed to stop the racial tension from continuing and going back to the days of segregation. And, let's face it, it is the American way to put labels on things and issues. :)

antjen Mar 3rd 2006 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Does anyone here have their children coming home with some strange stories about what they have been taught in school about black history?

Last year my daughter was taught that the English people think they are better than black Americans. This year my son learnt that the reason that black people were used as slaves was because they were not Christians ... and whilst being used as slaves were taught about Christianity by the white people and thus got their rights?

To be honest, I don't really understand the need to devote a whole month of each year to this?

so which month is 'White History' taught during :D

NC Penguin Mar 3rd 2006 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Does anyone here have their children coming home with some strange stories about what they have been taught in school about black history?

Last year my daughter was taught that the English people think they are better than black Americans. This year my son learnt that the reason that black people were used as slaves was because they were not Christians ... and whilst being used as slaves were taught about Christianity by the white people and thus got their rights?

Surely you know the story. In the olden days, anyone not Christian was deemed a heathen and therefore not human. Therefore, slaves were property, not people. Sad but these were the views held by so-called Christians.

To be honest, I don't really understand the need to devote a whole month of each year to this?
This being what? The spreading of skewed interpreation of history or black history in general?

NC Penguin

BigDavyG Mar 3rd 2006 3:49 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Surely you know the story. In the olden days, anyone not Christian was deemed a heathen and therefore not human. Therefore, slaves were property, not people. Sad but these were the views held by so-called Christians.

:confused:

NC Penguin Mar 3rd 2006 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Ben
Coming into a country that had legal segregation in my lifetime, I don't believe we should be that surprised that there is such a thing as Black History Month. When you think that the parents of the children in school today were part of that segregation, they will pass down that history to their children.

White America is attempting to right the wrongs of their forebears/ancestors, hence Black History month. I don't know if a Native American month/week exists for the same reasons.

And as someone has already pointed out, there are many neighbourhoods that are not mixed, and sometimes this is still because people don't want it. We have a couple of homes up for sale in our neighbourhood and my american neighbours have pointed out that they wouldn't like a black or latino family moving in because it WILL reduce the value of their home. There wasn't any 'it might' or 'there is a chance it could' reduce the price. It was a definite. And yet, these people work with many different races at work and have no problems with their work colleagues and are very happy to mix outside of work with on occasion.
Precisely. There's a growing Black middle class and there are many professional Latinos in the US. The comments of your neighbors reflect an "old school" view of race relations. I'm betting your neighbors are also Conservatives/Republicans...

<<snip>>

BigDavyG Mar 3rd 2006 3:53 am

Precisely. There's a growing Black middle class and there are many professional Latinos in the US. The comments of your neighbors reflect an "old school" view of race relations. I'm betting your neighbors are also Conservatives/Republicans...

Hmm, indeed.
they probably torture small animals to :rolleyes:

NC Penguin Mar 3rd 2006 4:00 am

:confused:

See this-
http://www.heretication.info/_slavery.html

NC Penguin

BigDavyG Mar 3rd 2006 4:07 am

So are you trying to say that christianity is to blame for slavery or merely that christians were involved in the slave trade ??

Ben Mar 3rd 2006 12:24 pm

White America is attempting to right the wrongs of their forebears/ancestors, hence Black History month. I don't know if a Native American month/week exists for the same reasons.

As far as I know there isn't one. One of the greatest problems I see with Native American history is that there is still a lot of resentment is some towns in states where NAs are on reservations, are given money by the government to live but the locals have to go without. What a lot of people don't realise is that NA and their land are like a little country inside a big one for some things and there are still many negotiations that go on between NAs and the Federal Government. Also, as I understand it, to celebrate NA month would go against what some NA cultures believe. They are not interested in that type of publicity and want to be left alone.

<<snip>>

I don't know if it does reflect 'old school' so much as an understanding of how this Country works. Yes, there are some people that would resent having certain ethnic groups in their neighbourhood no matter what - this wasn't that type of comment. When I think about it I don't see their point any different to the points that have been made in the UK when 'living in the community' homes were trying to be bought and the community protesting because they believed it would affect the price of their home. Unfortunately here if you live in a mixed community there is a high likely that the price of your property will be less than one in an all white community (which is crazy because they aren't all white and include many Asians). And, going the other way, speaking to black people here they much rather stay within a community where they blend than one where they stick out so that divide stays and therefore the theory that the price of your property will be affected by one family. The daft part about it is there is a family that live nearby that would be considered black and hardly anyone knows about them so anyone new moving into the neighbourhood, unless they ask, wouldn't know. they are the nicest people you could ever meet and have the most racist neighbour I have ever met!