British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Black History Month (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/black-history-month-358405/)

ladylisa Mar 1st 2006 7:35 pm

Re: Black History Month

Originally Posted by Sarah
Morgan Freeman....like James Earl Jones and John Hurt, he's got one of those voices where he could read the phone book and it would sound amazing.

Thats him, agreed he has a lovely voice. Oprah got Anthony Hopkins to read the phone book on her show recently as she always said she loved his voice so much that she could listen to him doing that.

anotherlimey Mar 1st 2006 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I'd hurry up and marry her if i were you.
Women that easy to please don't grow on trees you know

"Easy to please" and Latina don't go in the same sentence. :(

BigDavyG Mar 1st 2006 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
"Easy to please" and Latina don't go in the same sentence. :(

Flashback to rosie perez in white men can't jump...
"Oh no you ddn't" :)

anotherlimey Mar 1st 2006 7:48 pm

Flashback to rosie perez in white men can't jump...
"Oh no you ddn't" :)

I haven't seen that in a long time.... so I have no idea what you're talking about! :o

BigDavyG Mar 1st 2006 8:01 pm

I haven't seen that in a long time.... so I have no idea what you're talking about! :o

Cartman also did a good latina impression in an episode of south park when his hand became the next jennifer lopez (don't ask me to explain).
Anyway as a result of that I now have certain phrases I can say in a female puerto rician accent which never fail to make me laugh.
None of the above will mean anything to you or anyone else, so I'll stop rambling now.

anotherlimey Mar 1st 2006 8:07 pm

Cartman also did a good latina impression in an episode of south park when his hand became the next jennifer lopez (don't ask me to explain).
Anyway as a result of that I now have certain phrases I can say in a female puerto rician accent which never fail to make me laugh.
None of the above will mean anything to you or anyone else, so I'll stop rambling now.

Oh.. I've seen the SP episode..... Hennifer Lopez.... "taco flavoured kisses"

BigDavyG Mar 1st 2006 8:10 pm

Oh.. I've seen the SP episode..... Hennifer Lopez.... "taco flavoured kisses"

Yep.
Actually now that I think about it the "Oh no you ddn't" comes from a South Park where cartman tries to be the most out of control kid and appears on Jerry Springer as a child hooker - anyway he sounded a bit like Rosie Perez in white men can't jump.

Have you any idea how much you have confused me now ??? :o

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 1st 2006 8:11 pm

First I heard of it.

I did mention yesterday that today was St David's Day and what were they doing for it. Cmyru am Byth.

Blank looks.

But then as far as I know there is only one person of black ancestry in the town and he is well beyond retirement age. So it would not mean very much to any of the students, or teachers.

There was a bit on the radio this morning, 10th Grade Geography lesson?!, one of the students recorded it, amazing, the guy was complete left wing nutter. Completely off his trolley. And they get paid for this. Sort of story that has some legs, will be interesting to see how it runs.

To be fair the kid seemed straight, no political axe to grind, just recorded all his lessons, but then my wife records her lectures on her I Pod.

BigDavyG Mar 1st 2006 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
There was a bit on the radio this morning, 10th Grade Geography lesson?!, one of the students recorded it, amazing, the guy was complete left wing nutter. Completely off his trolley. And they get paid for this. Sort of story that has some legs, will be interesting to see how it runs.

Sounds interesting - any links ??

Bob Mar 1st 2006 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
For being interested in a black person's perspective on Black History Month?

If you haven't, you should see Human Stain- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308383/

gruffbrown Mar 1st 2006 9:15 pm

And it's ash wednesday today, seen a few people walking around with ash crosses on their foreheads :confused:

LeedsGirl Mar 1st 2006 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
And it's ash wednesday today, seen a few people walking around with ash crosses on their foreheads :confused:

It's so you can go and repent all your sins, dust to dust and we will return and all that good stuff, hence the ashes ;)

gruffbrown Mar 1st 2006 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
It's so you can go and repent all your sins, dust to dust and we will return and all that good stuff, hence the ashes ;)

I'd never seen it in the UK and didn't realise it was Ash Wednesday until someone told me. Oh me of little faith :D

LeedsGirl Mar 1st 2006 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'd never seen it in the UK and didn't realise it was Ash Wednesday until someone told me. Oh me of little faith :D

Have to admit I spent my lunch hour at the Ash Wednesday church service and got my ashes on my forehead, however, I forgot they were there and left church to pick up my lunch and go back to my office with a black cross on my forehead. :scared:

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 2nd 2006 2:29 am

Sounds interesting - any links ??

I will look and post, I found it fascinating.