Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Black History Month

Black History Month

Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black History Month

Originally Posted by Ray
Is this offensive????????
I'm not offended. Perhaps some would be. I don't think it should be illegal though. The way to do away with racial stereotypes is through social pressure. If we as a society stop supporting these stereotypes, shop owners won't continue to sell it.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I'm not offended. Perhaps some would be. I don't think it should be illegal though. The way to do away with racial stereotypes is through social pressure. If we as a society stop supporting these stereotypes, shop owners won't continue to sell it.
The matter has been resolved.... there are no charges being brought
the item are back on sale ....and with all the publicity ..the demand is enormous ..
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The matter has been resolved.... there are no charges being brought
the item are back on sale ....and with all the publicity ..the demand is enormous ..
Exactly. You cannot enforce or legislate morality.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:12 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
No, I'm saying that when we define something as "Black", i.e. BET or "Black" movies, then we also create a subculture and therefore it promotes segregation.

You're talking about the past, times have changed; now's the time we should be looking to create a single culture in America, one that's diverse but also integrated.

I don't think that will make anyone more "white"; maybe we're advocating the same thing?
Where did you get the idea that wanting to be different in your own right or not adopting certain cultural aspects of the so called majority ,to be a bad thing?And aren't you aware that there is a skin majority in America but not a major cultural ethnic majority? There are Germans,Irish,African Americans,Hispanics,Italians and Native Americans and the list goes on and on.

If we are suppose to accept the beliefs of those who settle this country, wouldn't we be living in tents and far kinder to the inviroment like Native Americans?They are the originals and I doubt seriously if their customs were adopted.If developing one culture in America would end Racism, I would be all for it. Question is, which culture should we all adopt?

German maybe? Not sure if we could talk all the newly arrived Brits to swing thata way. Once you go German you never march back. Or maybe segments of African American culture like Hip Hop, all though most of the youth of America are allready accepting and adopting aspects of Black culture from type of dress to music and speak.

There is no one culture in the States. Are we all going to become more Italian or more Irish? There are 25 million Italians. Certainly adopting their culture deserve as much consideration as any other.America is not Sweden with one hugh majority culture.

The Census Department reports that by 2060 America will have a 45% minority population.Now I know there are many Whites who hate Jews and Blacks and they think even less of Hispanics but they better learn to live among them because they are the fastest growing minority population in America. Change happens regardless if we accept it or not. Hey I wouldn't be shocked if one day the Asian population in the UK numbers one third of all the British, (not including Scotland,Whales and Ireland). Can happen and would it be a bad thing really?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Where did you get the idea that wanting to be different in your own right or not adopting certain cultural aspects of the so called majority ,to be a bad thing?And aren't you aware that there is a skin majority in America but not a major cultural ethnic majority? There are Germans,Irish,African Americans,Hispanics,Italians and Native Americans and the list goes on and on.

If we are suppose to accept the beliefs of those who settle this country, wouldn't we be living in tents and far kinder to the inviroment like Native Americans?They are the originals and I doubt seriously if their customs were adopted.If developing one culture in America would end Racism, I would be all for it. Question is, which culture should we all adopt?

German maybe? Not sure if we could talk all the newly arrived Brits to swing thata way. Once you go German you never march back. Or maybe segments of African American culture like Hip Hop, all though most of the youth of America are allready accepting and adopting aspects of Black culture from type of dress to music and speak.

There is no one culture in the States. Are we all going to become more Italian or more Irish? There are 25 million Italians. Certainly adopting their culture deserve as much consideration as any other.America is not Sweden with one hugh majority culture.

The Census Department reports that by 2060 America will have a 45% minority population.Now I know there are many Whites who hate Jews and Blacks and they think even less of Hispanics but they better learn to live among them because they are the fastest growing minority population in America. Change happens regardless if we accept it or not. Hey I wouldn't be shocked if one day the Asian population in the UK numbers one third of all the British, (not including Scotland,Whales and Ireland). Can happen and would it be a bad thing really?
I said IMO it was bad because it seems to promote segregation here.

I don't think the Irish and Italians have their own subculture or at least not one on par with "Black" subculture; there's no IET

Perhaps we'll all meet in the middle, won't that be nice. Or is that an ideal we'll never reach?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:56 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I said IMO it was bad because it seems to promote segregation here.

I don't think the Irish and Italians have their own subculture or at least not one on par with "Black" subculture; there's no IET

Perhaps we'll all meet in the middle, won't that be nice. Or is that an ideal we'll never reach?
The Italians and Irish have not been subjugated in American history. They came as willing immigrants and found a better life. The same cannot be said for people of African descent. Unfortunately, we have had our own Holocaust here.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:03 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
The Italians and Irish have not been subjugated in American history.
Not entirely true - you must have heard of the "no Irish need apply" suffix to help wanted ads in the 19th century. Obviously Irish people did not/have not suffered a fraction of what black people have in this country, but Irish immigrants weren't always completely welcomed in with open arms.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:05 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman
Not entirely true - you must have heard of the "no Irish need apply" suffix to help wanted ads in the 19th century. Obviously Irish people did not/have not suffered a fraction of what black people have in this country, but Irish immigrants weren't always completely welcomed in with open arms.
I was always lead to believe that the "No Irish need apply" signs were on the dorrs of lodging houses in London when they came over from ireland to work on the railways and roads.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:13 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by elfman
Perhaps that is true. I will need more proof to form a complete opinion. Racism is an unpleasant truth of American history. I'm sure that many ethnic groups were oppressed on many different levels. This does not detract from the fact that what was done to black people under the word of the law is something that should be viewed as a reality and in its entirety.

Last edited by Leslie; Mar 8th 2006 at 3:16 am.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
the British, (not including Scotland,Whales and Ireland). Can happen and would it be a bad thing really?
Are you deliberately try to piss of the WELSH, nothing to do with sea creatures.

Not sure the Irish would like to be called British.

Wonder if the qualifies me for a Geography Doctorate...Anglo/Welsh studies

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Mar 8th 2006 at 3:32 am.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:30 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Wonder if the qualifies me for a Geography Doctorate...Anlgo/Welsh studies
You'd qualify, if you can tell us where Anlgo is?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
You'd qualify, if you can tell us where Anlgo is?
Well there's no point me every trying for one in typing.

Or spelling.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:36 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's no point me every trying for one in typing.

Or spelling.
Errr no, do you need a shovel?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Errr no, do you need a shovel?
Just proving my point.

Why could I not have taken typing classes instead of woodwork....
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:40 am

Just proving my point.

Why could I not have taken typing classes instead of woodwork....
Because your mum would only have a typed letter, instead of a crappy carved duck on a stand to remember you by

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.