Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Black Friday Booty

Black Friday Booty

Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Friday Booty

Toys R Us opened at midnight this year so I thought that it would not be that busy at that time of night. I thought most people would be sleeping ready fro the 5am thing, oh was I mistaken! When I got there at 12.10 there was probably 300 or more people standing queuing waiting to get in the line did move quickly and I waited maybe 10 mins to get in there. I did find the toy I wanted however I would have probably had to have waited an hour or more to check out so I put the toy back and left.

I went to Wally World and got what I wanted, they price matched and there was no one in line!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:53 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

For all you shoe collectors out there (and let's face it, I'm talking mostly to the laydeeez on the board!), Endless.com has 30% off all "full price" shoes today. Their usual free overnight shipping and free returns apply too.

They say "full price", but we just bought these $170 Timberland boots, which were already reduced to $130, for $90 after the site applied the additional 30% off anyway.

Never too late for a Black Friday deal
Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:34 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

As I mentioned elsewhere, I successfully put off buying an M1 Garand until they had sold out and was then absolved of any need to get into the scrum.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't be arsed to get up at the crack of dawn...only thing I was looking for was that tomtom xl 340s at Target for $97...didn't find it.

The missus got a much needed new wardrobe of clothes as she now has to wear suits to work rather than smart casuals because of a policy change at work.

The wee one has enough toys and toys that x-mas and her birthday are pretty much covered.

I got a pair of cheap trousers at Old Navy and that's it....though also some nice Timberland winter boots for $30 on the way home at Freeport.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Couldn't be arsed to get up at the crack of dawn...only thing I was looking for was that tomtom xl 340s at Target for $97...didn't find it.
Bob, I was able to buy the tomtom xl 340s through the Target website for the same price $97 on Thursday evening. Must have been a run on them as the price is back up to $249.99 on the Target website today. I didn't realize the store websites sometimes match the in store deals, it was my wife who suggested I try it.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

FWIW someone forwarded me this NYTimes article about credit card rebates, might save a few bucks. For instance fatwallet.com mentions Shopping via Bing. Overstock.com has the tomtom XL340s on sale for $160, Use Bing to get additional 15% Cash Back for a total 135 plus your local states sales tax.

Last edited by Dewey; Nov 30th 2009 at 7:43 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

well i was out there like last year braving the odds.. I got 2 ipod touches, a laptop, another bloody wii.. a hoover in target with some dvds.. why the bloody hell i spent more time in the queue to get to pay for the stuff than i did actually finding them .. !!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
Bob, I was able to buy the tomtom xl 340s through the Target website for the same price $97 on Thursday evening. Must have been a run on them as the price is back up to $249.99 on the Target website today. I didn't realize the store websites sometimes match the in store deals, it was my wife who suggested I try it.
I'd have done that but I was stuck in Maine where I didn't have internet access

Newegg and Amazon sell refurbed units for $89 but there's a chance the maps might not be up to date and can be a mare updating them apparently.

Last edited by Bob; Nov 30th 2009 at 8:31 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd have done that but I was stuck in Maine where I didn't have internet access

Newegg and Amazon sell refurbed units for $89 but there's a chance the maps might not be up to date and can be a mare updating them apparently.
Ah, a sacrifice you made by visiting relatives for thanksgiving.

I thought about a refurbished GPS as they can be good value. AFAIK the problems with the XL340S are due to lack of memory and TomTom not thinking to design in an SD card slot, but I understand the work around is to do a complete backup of the contents of your PC using the TomTom Home software, then removing most of the foreign voices i.e. French, Spanish, etc. This should free up enough room to sync the GPS unit with TomTom map updates. It's a bit of a pain because I was hoping I could just buy a UK map and use the GPS when driving in Britain so if there's a way to take off individual maps then Mexico and Canada will probably have to go by the way to make room.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Dewey
Ah, a sacrifice you made by visiting relatives for thanksgiving.

I thought about a refurbished GPS as they can be good value. AFAIK the problems with the XL340S are due to lack of memory and TomTom not thinking to design in an SD card slot, but I understand the work around is to do a complete backup of the contents of your PC using the TomTom Home software, then removing most of the foreign voices i.e. French, Spanish, etc. This should free up enough room to sync the GPS unit with TomTom map updates. It's a bit of a pain because I was hoping I could just buy a UK map and use the GPS when driving in Britain so if there's a way to take off individual maps then Mexico and Canada will probably have to go by the way to make room.
Aye, that's what you do, you can just bin what you don't use, your meant to back them up, but if you need them you can always download the defaults from tomtom later anyway.

Delete the extra voices creates enough room for US map updates, but you can ditch canada, mexico and extra poi's you might not be interested in if you want extra maps.

Is daft there's no SD slot though
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

There is not anything in this world I need to get up before dawn to go shopping.

The mall I work at was dead on black Friday, slower then a normal Friday.