Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Black Friday

Black Friday

Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:39 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Black Friday

Do you? Were you waiting at the mall at 5:00 am?

We are heading out to the most evil place in the world...WalMart, to pick up a few items, but just to cherry pick. This will be our first time- we have never gone shopping the Friday following Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:52 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Friday

Originally Posted by ironporer

We are heading out to the most evil place in the world...WalMart, to pick up a few items, but just to cherry pick. This will be our first time- we have never gone shopping the Friday following Thanksgiving.
Ha!! Funny... woke me at 6am to tell me she was off shopping and that I could go back to sleep ....
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:27 pm
Banned

Pickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to behold

I got up at 5am and pulled up at Best Buy at about 5:45am, it opend at 5am and the whole strip mall parking lot was full it was just crazy. There was a line outside Best Buy about 100m long just to get in the store on a one out one in basis. I just turned around and headed straight home, I'm not that desperate to save $100 or so.

This is the first year I have done this, and I am intersted to see if the prices really go back up again or will the price for what i was looking at be back down again in a week or two.

Never getting up early again to do that.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Done it once never again bloody nightmare
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:39 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone please explain the point of this to me ??
What is the point in selling a load of losing items when people just turn up, buy as many as they are allowed of them then leave, buying nothing else (because the store is that busy they can't).

According to the OH who is just back there were fights in the best buy near us in the line, then once inside people where trying to scam the staff by picking used vouchers up off the floor and arguing that they should get their $100 laptop too.
To top it all our local best buy is beside a golf shop that had no sale today. At 3am the golf store owner turned up to stop people parking in his part of the lot - his store opens at 9.39am by which time everyone will be back at home - what a sad twat.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

5AM that's a bit late m8 ...lots of stores opened at midnight here and according to this mornings news 'tills were ringing throughout the night'
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
5AM that's a bit late m8 ...lots of stores opened at midnight here and according to this mornings news 'tills were ringing throughout the night'
In Atlanta the TV crews were hovering above the malls in helicopters to see how busy they were. One looked nearly empty of cars at around 8.30 so maybe it's not that hot a shopping day. Meanwhile I saw a line of over 200 people at the Honey Baked Ham store on Wed morning waiting to pick up their orders. They say the Brits are patient in queues but that I doubt I could handle......
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Richardson
In Atlanta the TV crews were hovering above the malls in helicopters to see how busy they were. One looked nearly empty of cars at around 8.30 so maybe it's not that hot a shopping day.
The punters had prob all been and gone by then - its bananas
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I hate shopping. I avoid it the rest of the year if at all possible, so why would I want to go today...
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:20 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Can someone please explain the point of this to me ??
What is the point in selling a load of losing items when people just turn up, buy as many as they are allowed of them then leave, buying nothing else (because the store is that busy they can't).

According to the OH who is just back there were fights in the best buy near us in the line, then once inside people where trying to scam the staff by picking used vouchers up off the floor and arguing that they should get their $100 laptop too.
To top it all our local best buy is beside a golf shop that had no sale today. At 3am the golf store owner turned up to stop people parking in his part of the lot - his store opens at 9.39am by which time everyone will be back at home - what a sad twat.
I have to agree on this one. Today isn't a browse and buy day. It's mainly a get in , get it, get out day. I didn't pick up anything that wasn't a special.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:29 pm
Banned

Pickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to behold

his store opens at 9.39am by which time everyone will be back at home - what a sad twat.
9.39am, now that is strange time to open, whatever day of the year it is!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:36 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Pickles
9.39am, now that is strange time to open, whatever day of the year it is!
There are multiple typos in the thread as I was eating a muffin at the time.
Maybe you could try to spot the others
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:40 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

You call your wife muffin?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:41 pm
Banned

I'm only joking mate, just made me laugh thats all. My wife drove past Woodfield Mall on the way to work and she said it was still pretty crazy there at 8am.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:43 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I'll never do Black Friday, horror stories like all the ones above have successfully put me off for life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.