Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Black-Eyed Peas...

Black-Eyed Peas...

Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Black-Eyed Peas...

How many of the US folk will be eating black-eyed peas today, supposed to be a symbol of good wealth?? It's a tradition to eat black-eyed peas and turnip greens. The peas represent copper and the greens are dollars. We say each pea you eat equals one dollar's worth of earning, and each portion of turnip greens equals $1,000....enjoy
Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of
Default Re: Black-Eyed Peas...

Originally Posted by TruBrit
How many of the US folk will be eating black-eyed peas today, supposed to be a symbol of good wealth?? It's a tradition to eat black-eyed peas and turnip greens. The peas represent copper and the greens are dollars. We say each pea you eat equals one dollar's worth of earning, and each portion of turnip greens equals $1,000....enjoy
That's interesting. I thought eating black-eyed peas and rice during the new year was simply lucky.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by commoner
That's interesting. I thought eating black-eyed peas and rice during the new year was simply lucky.

not heard of eating rice but think it can vary up and down the country.... quote....A traditional New Year's Day meal throughout the South -
This custom is traditional throughout the southern part of the United States. There are some variations; for example, in Texas and in Alabama, cabbage sometimes accompanies the black-eyed peas instead of turnip greens. The black-eyed peas are considered a symbol of good luck; and the cabbage, like the turnip greens, is considered a symbol of money.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TruBrit
not heard of eating rice but think it can vary up and down the country.... quote....A traditional New Year's Day meal throughout the South -
This custom is traditional throughout the southern part of the United States. There are some variations; for example, in Texas and in Alabama, cabbage sometimes accompanies the black-eyed peas instead of turnip greens. The black-eyed peas are considered a symbol of good luck; and the cabbage, like the turnip greens, is considered a symbol of money.
Well, I'm originally from Alabama. Gumbo pages has a fantastic recipe for the dish. This style is more of what I'm used to.

My family went off collards and greens a long time ago when my Dad got the bright idea of putting dirty greens in my grandmother's washing machine for cleaning, since removing grit from greens can be a nightmare. Months afterwards her clothes had little green specks on them. No more greens for us.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Up here in PA it's traditional to eat pork and sauerkraut on New Years day, think I'll be giving it a miss.

Annette
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nethead
Up here in PA it's traditional to eat pork and sauerkraut on New Years day, think I'll be giving it a miss.

Annette

hmmm now that sounds like a good German meal...delicious...pork knuckle lovely
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Eating chicken as your first meal of the new year is suppose to be bad luck.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Collards, black eye peas and ham, just plain ole traditional.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:11 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

My Humps, My Humps, my lovely lady lumps,
I'm gonna get get get you drunk, get you love drunk on my hump
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:28 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

From talking to the true Southerners at my office most Alabamians will be eating black eyed peas, collard greens and hog jowls(sp).

This is one tradition I shall not be adopting lololol
Old Jan 1st 2006, 7:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I shall be combining lots of traditions in my New Year's Day meal.

We'll be having roast pork with sauerkraut (with special added ingredients using a recipe from my MIL), blackeyed peas (with bacon), rice and kimchee.

I think this will be a pretty international meal!

NC Penguin