British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Black-Eyed Peas... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/black-eyed-peas-345483/)

TruBrit Jan 1st 2006 1:38 pm

Black-Eyed Peas...

How many of the US folk will be eating black-eyed peas today, supposed to be a symbol of good wealth?? It's a tradition to eat black-eyed peas and turnip greens. The peas represent copper and the greens are dollars. We say each pea you eat equals one dollar's worth of earning, and each portion of turnip greens equals $1,000....enjoy :rolleyes:

commoner Jan 1st 2006 2:40 pm

Re: Black-Eyed Peas...

Originally Posted by TruBrit
How many of the US folk will be eating black-eyed peas today, supposed to be a symbol of good wealth?? It's a tradition to eat black-eyed peas and turnip greens. The peas represent copper and the greens are dollars. We say each pea you eat equals one dollar's worth of earning, and each portion of turnip greens equals $1,000....enjoy :rolleyes:

That's interesting. I thought eating black-eyed peas and rice during the new year was simply lucky.

TruBrit Jan 1st 2006 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by commoner
That's interesting. I thought eating black-eyed peas and rice during the new year was simply lucky.

not heard of eating rice but think it can vary up and down the country.... quote....A traditional New Year's Day meal throughout the South -
This custom is traditional throughout the southern part of the United States. There are some variations; for example, in Texas and in Alabama, cabbage sometimes accompanies the black-eyed peas instead of turnip greens. The black-eyed peas are considered a symbol of good luck; and the cabbage, like the turnip greens, is considered a symbol of money.

commoner Jan 1st 2006 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
not heard of eating rice but think it can vary up and down the country.... quote....A traditional New Year's Day meal throughout the South -
This custom is traditional throughout the southern part of the United States. There are some variations; for example, in Texas and in Alabama, cabbage sometimes accompanies the black-eyed peas instead of turnip greens. The black-eyed peas are considered a symbol of good luck; and the cabbage, like the turnip greens, is considered a symbol of money.

Well, I'm originally from Alabama. Gumbo pages has a fantastic recipe for the dish. This style is more of what I'm used to.

My family went off collards and greens a long time ago when my Dad got the bright idea of putting dirty greens in my grandmother's washing machine for cleaning, since removing grit from greens can be a nightmare. Months afterwards her clothes had little green specks on them. No more greens for us. :)

nethead Jan 1st 2006 3:21 pm

Up here in PA it's traditional to eat pork and sauerkraut on New Years day, think I'll be giving it a miss.

Annette

TruBrit Jan 1st 2006 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by nethead
Up here in PA it's traditional to eat pork and sauerkraut on New Years day, think I'll be giving it a miss.

Annette

hmmm now that sounds like a good German meal...delicious...pork knuckle lovely ;)

Pimpbot Jan 1st 2006 3:41 pm

Eating chicken as your first meal of the new year is suppose to be bad luck.

tony126 Jan 1st 2006 4:16 pm

Collards, black eye peas and ham, just plain ole traditional.

Patrick Jan 1st 2006 5:11 pm

My Humps, My Humps, my lovely lady lumps,
I'm gonna get get get you drunk, get you love drunk on my hump

Lynne Jan 1st 2006 5:28 pm

From talking to the true Southerners at my office most Alabamians will be eating black eyed peas, collard greens and hog jowls(sp).

This is one tradition I shall not be adopting lololol

NC Penguin Jan 1st 2006 7:01 pm

I shall be combining lots of traditions in my New Year's Day meal.

We'll be having roast pork with sauerkraut (with special added ingredients using a recipe from my MIL), blackeyed peas (with bacon), rice and kimchee.

I think this will be a pretty international meal! :)

NC Penguin