British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   bit of help, please... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bit-help-please-129868/)

gavindowney Jan 31st 2003 8:33 am

bit of help, please...

I have a job set up in New Jersey where I should be going within the next few months if all goes to plan - my question is - how do I get my girlfriend out there with me?

Could she still be classed as a girlfriend or would she have to become my fiancee or wife or something?

All I need for now is initial thoughts or advice as I have scoured the internet and all I have found is a sheer amount of indecipherable visa's for the US - there are so many I don't know where to begin!

I've been out for the three months before and it was absolutely amazing - I just didn't let myself get sucked in too much by it all as I knew I'd be coming back after the three months and plus the fact that I did miss her a lot. I would love to go out there and start living that kind of lifestyle but I need to be sure - so what would the deal be if I tried even just to get her out there for a year or six months or something first to see how things go?

Help!

gavindowney Feb 20th 2003 8:40 am

so - if I married her, and moved over there - she could get in on an H4 - but couldn't work?

how long is an H4 for and would she be able to journey out with me or would she have to wait a bit before coming out?

let's say she got the H4 and we're in the states - whats next? what happens IF I got a permanent work visa?

Ivonne Feb 20th 2003 1:41 pm

Originally posted by gavindowney
so - if I married her, and moved over there - she could get in on an H4 - but couldn't work?

Well, assuming, your employe gets you an H1B, than she can get a H4. But she won't be allowed to work. Ask your employer, what kind of visa he intends to get for you (may also be an E-visa or J1-depending on how long the employment is)

how long is an H4 for and would she be able to journey out with me or would she have to wait a bit before coming out?

A H4 is valid as long as your H1B is valid. she can come along with you right away or later, if she wishes.

let's say she got the H4 and we're in the states - whats next? what happens IF I got a permanent work visa?
If you get a permanent work visa (Green Card), she can get one at the same time, since she is your spouse.

NC Penguin Feb 20th 2003 9:48 pm

If you are sponsored a work visa by your American employer they are the ones who will also sponsor you for a Green Card. This process is costly to the employer and takes time (i.e. at least a yr).

In any case, don't expect to be sponsored for a Green Card so soon after starting work in the US. I would imagine that you'd work for at least 4 yrs (IMHO) for that employer before they'd consider you for a Green Card.

NC Penguin

BrigieDarling Feb 23rd 2003 10:05 pm

Gavin... If your serious enough to bring here her, are you not serious enough to ask her to marry you?

That poor girl is probably wondering about that!

:) Brigie

Chopper-Chris Feb 28th 2003 12:57 pm

Re: bit of help, please...

Gavin, Hope it's all going well mate, 8 months ago, I went through exactly what you're going through now, I moved to New Jersey from London (but my family are all from Darlington) I'm married so it was a little easier to get my wife out here, she's on an H4 visa, she can't work but can volunteer and can study (so she's enrolling yet another university course) What will you be doing out here and where in Jersey will you be moving to?

I'll help all I can.

Chris

I have a job set up in New Jersey where I should be going within the next few months if all goes to plan - my question is - how do I get my girlfriend out there with me?

Could she still be classed as a girlfriend or would she have to become my fiancee or wife or something?

All I need for now is initial thoughts or advice as I have scoured the internet and all I have found is a sheer amount of indecipherable visa's for the US - there are so many I don't know where to begin!

I've been out for the three months before and it was absolutely amazing - I just didn't let myself get sucked in too much by it all as I knew I'd be coming back after the three months and plus the fact that I did miss her a lot. I would love to go out there and start living that kind of lifestyle but I need to be sure - so what would the deal be if I tried even just to get her out there for a year or six months or something first to see how things go?

Help!