Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bit Of advice re-entry after overseas trp.

Bit Of advice re-entry after overseas trp.

Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold
Default Bit Of advice re-entry after overseas trp.

Hi ,
Just wondered if you could help, Hubby on H1b has made his first trip to Amsterdam on business and been gone for 2 weeks they obv took I94 out of his passport, but all he has is his passprt with visa in, will he need anything else other than the new I94 which he will fill in the plane and does he have to go through immigration again as if he is coming in for the first time.

Cheers

Isabel
Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:33 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit Of advice re-entry after overseas trp.

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy
Hi ,
Just wondered if you could help, Hubby on H1b has made his first trip to Amsterdam on business and been gone for 2 weeks they obv took I94 out of his passport, but all he has is his passprt with visa in, will he need anything else other than the new I94 which he will fill in the plane and does he have to go through immigration again as if he is coming in for the first time.

Cheers

Isabel
It would have been a good idea if he had his approval notice with him, but I'm pretty sure they'll admit him without it, as long as his visa is still valid.

Obviously he has to go through immigration - everyone does.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

I will scan him a copy of approval notice just to be sure at least they will be able to view it although it wont be the original.

thanks
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:19 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ,

Cheers

Isabel
He will be fine, thats the visa I came on. As long as he has a valid visa in his passport he will be ok. I don't mean to sound condescending, but that is what the visa is for.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice,

I was just concerned he hadnt taken any other paperwork with him other than his passport, i.e the approval notice etc so just wanted to double check if he would need anything like that.

thanks
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:30 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice,

I was just concerned he hadnt taken any other paperwork with him other than his passport, i.e the approval notice etc so just wanted to double check if he would need anything like that.

thanks
They sometimes asked to see my husband's approval notice, sometimes they did not. The one time they asked for it and he didn't have it, they admitted him.

The long and the short - I wouldn't worry about it!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:51 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
They sometimes asked to see my husband's approval notice, sometimes they did not. The one time they asked for it and he didn't have it, they admitted him.

The long and the short - I wouldn't worry about it!
I travelled back and forth a few times on business during the 2 years I had an L-1 and always forgot to take my approval notice and was never asked for it. However, my next-door neighbour - also on L-1 - has made 10 trips in and out so far, always carried his notice and finally got asked for it on his 10th entry.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
He will be fine, thats the visa I came on. As long as he has a valid visa in his passport he will be ok. I don't mean to sound condescending, but that is what the visa is for.
Probably just to check that you still are employed in the USA; if the current employer is not the same as the one printed on the H1B visa then the approval would be useful. I've never been asked for it (the approval), neither at the airport nor at the land border.