British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bisto Gravy - query about bringing into USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bisto-gravy-query-about-bringing-into-usa-744715/)

CAdreaming Jan 12th 2012 10:26 am

Bisto Gravy - query about bringing into USA

hi - is this a product (chicken/meat gravy powder) that i can bring into USA. Ive looked at the list of foods admissible but am still a bit unsure about this product.
Ive looked at the ingredients of both the chicken and the beef gravy and it doesnt say it contains any meat which was my concern

thanks!!

bilbos92 Jan 12th 2012 10:36 am

Re: Bisto Gravy - query about bringing into USA

Hi there,

I had some gravy granules delivered as part of a delivery from the british cornershop last year, had no issues. I friend has been through the airport last week with some (don't know yet what she may have been asked as they my gravy granules and custard powder are still sitting in her suitcase until next week and i'm sure the dogs at the airport had a good sniff around the luggage).

If the ingredients don't show meat in the contents, it's fine.

Enjoy that gravy........mmmmm Bisto.....:thumbsup:

tonrob Jan 12th 2012 10:42 am

I bring Bisto in 2 or 3 times a year. I believe it's fine because (a) it's processed and (b) there is no meat content at all.

CAdreaming Jan 12th 2012 10:45 am

thanks Tonrob and Bilbos:thumbup:

Brat1 Jan 12th 2012 11:12 am

Yeah, I brought 4 boxes back the other week from Scotland, along with my Salad Cream, ham stock cubes etc, and it was fine, just threw them in the case. My mum's also sent over some in a comfort package since we moved here, so you should be absolutely fine - enjoy!! :D

lisa67 Jan 12th 2012 12:50 pm

My Mum used to bring oxo cubes over for me until she was asked, last year, if she was bringing any oxo cubes with her...scared her to death so won't risk it any more! (on that particular trip she wasn't bringing any!)

Sheepdip Jan 12th 2012 1:12 pm

I've found that it depends on the officer (that is of course if it's declared). My sister had two tubs removed due to the 'meat' content this summer, but I've brought it back a couple times. They sell it in Publix here :)

p.s. should say that these were gravy granules - not sure if that makes a difference? 'Beef' was listed as an ingredient so it was taken away.

CAdreaming Jan 12th 2012 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9837702)
Yeah, I brought 4 boxes back the other week from Scotland, along with my Salad Cream, ham stock cubes etc, and it was fine, just threw them in the case. My mum's also sent over some in a comfort package since we moved here, so you should be absolutely fine - enjoy!! :D

thank you!!!

CAdreaming Jan 12th 2012 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 9837909)
I've found that it depends on the officer (that is of course if it's declared). My sister had two tubs removed due to the 'meat' content this summer, but I've brought it back a couple times. They sell it in Publix here :)

p.s. should say that these were gravy granules - not sure if that makes a difference? 'Beef' was listed as an ingredient so it was taken away.

Yep declare everything down to the last cookie - thanks!!! Dont think bisto has actual meat extract in it but will go and have another look at the carton

CAdreaming Jan 12th 2012 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9837876)
My Mum used to bring oxo cubes over for me until she was asked, last year, if she was bringing any oxo cubes with her...scared her to death so won't risk it any more! (on that particular trip she wasn't bringing any!)

Blimey - oxo must have actual meat extract in it
not sure il bother with it now - its not even for me anyway but a request!!

coastieexpat Jan 12th 2012 1:54 pm

This may be an easier option...

http://www.amazon.com/Bisto-Gravy-Gr...6379889&sr=1-1

Burn1911 Jan 12th 2012 2:02 pm

I have found Bisto to be readily available at most places around here - maybe we are just lucky I am not sure, my local QFC stocks ALOT of english products, must be loads of Brits around here - none of which I have ever bumped into :blink:

avanutria Jan 12th 2012 3:46 pm

Cost Plus World Market and Fred Meyer both carry Bisto now, though I don't know how national those chains are.

toopie28 Jan 12th 2012 3:50 pm

I believe all bisto products are okay since you can buy it at the brit stores here. However the chicken knor cubes are not allowed. Weird.

Orangepants Jan 12th 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by toopie28 (Post 9838248)
I believe all bisto products are okay since you can buy it at the brit stores here. However the chicken knor cubes are not allowed. Weird.

You can buy oxo cubes here too but YOU are just not allowed to bring them in through customs, they must be imported.