Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Births, Deaths and Marriages

Births, Deaths and Marriages

Old Dec 24th 2004, 7:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Births, Deaths and Marriages

Well, news of births, deaths and marriages tends to come in 'threes' but in the past week I've had this news:

My mum sent me a clipping from her local newspaper with a photo of my old schoolfriend whom I'd lost touch with. It was a wedding photo (she was in a long white dress and it was a registry office wedding). I went to her first wedding 20 years ago! (We've now got in touch with each other which is nice).

News of a new baby girl born in Brisbane, Australia - the daughter of my sister's husband's brother. My sister and her family have flown from the UK to spend a month Down Under on the Gold Coast, lucky things!

Sadly, two deaths in the last week. One of them is my other sister's father-in-law, Richard, whom she was very close to and I knew him fairly well. He was approx 80, a widower and found dead at the side of his bed, apparently from a heart attack by the lady who goes around to do basic cleaning for him and was found late last Friday afternoon. At his side were the Christmas presents he had just wrapped for his son and my sister.

My mum phoned yesterday and said she had some 'bad news'. A guy who was a year older than me (I'm 43) and our next door neighbour when we were growing up so one of the 'gang' we used to hang around with, had died of lung cancer last Saturday. I had had a drink in the local pub when I was back in England during the Summer with two of his brothers and they had told me about Gerard.....but they didn't want their mother to know as she is getting old and frail. I remember Gerard being really popular with the girls, he was quite handsome and he was certainly smoking during (and since) his teenage years. He leaves a wife and two children.

It's weird to think about two people whom I knew now dead and in a mortuary over Christmas. How sad it must be for their immediate relatives. Gerard's funeral service is on the 29th and Richard's at the crematorium not until 4th Jan (he died alone so a post mortem was required). I'm not in Blighty for Christmas this year....but when I was a couple of years ago I ended up going to an uncle's funeral as well.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 10:27 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Births, Deaths and Marriages

Really sorry to hear about the deaths It seems to hurt more on Christmas, I know.

Hang in there, and make sure you enjoy tomorrow !

-Becs