Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Birthright citizenship?

Birthright citizenship?

Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Birthright citizenship?

On the way home from work this afternoon, I listened to a local radio talk show on which the topic was "Birthright citizenship. Apparently, the host (can't remember his name) believes that the US should stop recognizing birthright citizenship.

That is, a person born in the US would no longer be an automatic a US citizen.

How do the rest of you feel about this? I'm not sure where I stand at the moment. The host stated that most European countires didn't allow birthright citizenship, and he thought the US should follow suit.

He emphasized that the government needed to exercise greater control over the US population and emmigration policies.

How do you feel?
Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birthright citizenship?

Originally Posted by Jabba1
On the way home from work this afternoon, I listened to a local radio talk show on which the topic was "Birthright citizenship. Apparently, the host (can't remember his name) believes that the US should stop recognizing birthright citizenship.

How do the rest of you feel about this? I'm not sure where I stand at the moment. The host stated that most European countires didn't allow birthright citizenship, and he thought the US should follow suit.

He emphasized that the government needed to exercise greater control over the US population and emmigration policies.

How do you feel?
I'm not sure I 'get' this; is he suggesting anyone born in the US should not be a citizen if the babies parents are not USCs?
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

The debate may relate to this-
http://www.numbersusa.com/interests/...itizenship.htm

Go to the section on the Fourteenth Amendment Debate
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure this is the case in Britain now. It just means if you are born in a certain country and leave soon after you aren't automatically entitled to it. Chances are you would get it.

A lot of people are in favour of this idea here in the US to stop Mexicans coming over on "vacation" having a baby and then trying to bring over the whole family.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:24 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to me that one of the parents should be a citizen or at least a permanent resident, but I haven't really studied the pros and cons of it all. It's an interesting argument.

Last edited by Elsie The Maid; Jan 5th 2006 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:37 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

I think as mentioned by another poster, that the point of changing it would be so that people could not come into the country, with no connections, give birth and then have a us citizen child. As this is most common with people who come across the mexican border. Whether or not is should happen i don't know. Seems like it could be good, i do think that you should be at least living here legally to give the rights if us citizenship to your children.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Basically anchors and PRUCOLS are costing vast sums of money ...
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:49 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

How do you feel?
I was talking to my wife about this recently - I was very surprised to find out that any child born in the US is automatically a US citizen considering they make it pretty difficult for some people. It would seem to make sense that it should only be the case if the parents are legally in the country at least.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm not sure I 'get' this; is he suggesting anyone born in the US should not be a citizen if the babies parents are not USCs?
Exactly! If neither parent is a citizen, then neither is the baby.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

This surprises me too. I thought they'd done away with this law years ago.

I agree that you should be legally resident here in order to get citizenship.

I extend that to H1B's etc..too though.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:56 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I was talking to my wife about this recently - I was very surprised to find out that any child born in the US is automatically a US citizen considering they make it pretty difficult for some people. It would seem to make sense that it should only be the case if the parents are legally in the country at least.

This would make sense. Something along British lines.

In the UK, the 'alien' parents have to be permanent residents in order for a child be British at birth, but I believe that children born in Britain can also be registered as British citizens if the parents obtain permanent leave ot remain at a later stage.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:12 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
This surprises me too. I thought they'd done away with this law years ago.

I agree that you should be legally resident here in order to get citizenship.

I extend that to H1B's etc..too though.
You can't just 'do away' with this because it is part of the constitution. It would need an amendment to change the constitution, which takes a while.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly! If neither parent is a citizen, then neither is the baby.
I don't see why not then.

That's one law matter solved, lets get to the pub.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:41 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
You can't just 'do away' with this because it is part of the constitution. It would need an amendment to change the constitution, which takes a while.
I have to think that there should be more of a permenant tie to the land- be it parents being citizens or legal residents, or having lived here X years. I believe many Euro countries (Switz and Ireland come to mind(?) restrict citizenship in this manner.
Just because you popped out a baby on your VWP visit to Disney, baby should not be US Citizen automatically.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:26 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you feel?
At least one parent should have to be a United States citizen for a child born here to be a citizen.

The 14th admendment of the constitution making anyone born here a citizen was to makes slaves citizens after they were freed, not for women to run over the border and drop a baby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.