Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Birth Delivery Options- Which Country?

Wikiposts

Birth Delivery Options- Which Country?

Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:33 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth Delivery Options- Which Country?

Having moved from the US to the UK at 6 months pregnant:

- If you're not living in the UK, you're not eligible to have a free NHS delivery (you can pay, or pay to go private). In London, at least, GPs and hospitals are pretty on-the-ball about checking that you're habitually resident in the UK. Think tenancy agreements, bills, work contracts.

- If you have an uncomplicated single pregnancy, most airlines let you fly up to 36 weeks (roughly 8 months). You need to provide a doctor's note after 28 weeks.

- Transferring from US healthcare to the NHS mid-pregnancy is like changing from one school system to the other in the middle of your exams. Different procedures, different vocabulary, different assumptions. Plus a lot of bureaucracy. It took a good few weeks and a lot of faffing around to install me in NHS antenatal care, which feels like a long time when your due date is getting closer.

In conclusion: pick a country, live there, give birth there! If you have good health insurance I wouldn't hesitate to stay in the States.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

audi4t is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an FYI and it's a long way off for the baby.

The US doesn't officially "recognize" dual citizenship - the UK does.

Trivia - Winston Churchill was given honorary US citizenship after WW2 - one of a select few to be given this distinction.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by 'more efficient'.

Turning up to deliver in the UK would be unwise from a number of points of view, as mentioned above.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:37 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP doesn't really have a choice of where to have the baby...the mum is not a UK resident and therefore is not eligible to use the NHS for the birth.
so she may have to pay something (like she will no doubt with a co-pay or whatever here) - they wont 'not help her'.

also think about your attitude towards 'intervention'. If you are not into pain and want drugs up the wazoo and want/dont care if you end up with a c-section - then US is a very good fit. If you prefer more natural and less intrusion and intervention (and c-section only if reqd) - then the UK is a much better fit. I had my third child as a home birth here (prev 2 were born in the uk) and people here look at me like i'm insane when i tell them. I also had to forcefully opt out of unnecessary tests here that were just given to everyone. (ie in the uk they give a glucose test for maternal diabetes if ANY of your monthly tests give an indications. In the US the glucose is administered to all regardless.) or that the US hospital want to stick a cannula in your arm upon arrival - so its easier to administer drugs later. I strongly preferred to wait until i needed drugs (which i didnt end up needing at all).
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audi4t

You should probably qualify that statement. The US just doesn't care if you are a dual citizen, when you are in the US you will only be treated as a US citizen.

http://travel.state.gov/content/trav...tionality.html
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice everyone! And to the person who said this discussion is premature until it happens, I don't think it should matter to you, plus I think it is important as from what it look like (based on posts) a lot of planning is required (if I choose to have to the baby in the UK).

As an aside, I didn't realize I would not be allowed under NHS as I always assumed that would be the case- How easy would be it be to get registered again?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:59 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Thanks for all the advice everyone! And to the person who said this discussion is premature until it happens, I don't think it should matter to you, plus I think it is important as from what it look like (based on posts) a lot of planning is required (if I choose to have to the baby in the UK).

As an aside, I didn't realize I would not be allowed under NHS as I always assumed that would be the case- How easy would be it be to get registered again?
There is no 'registered again' option. If you want a 'free' birth on the NHS you need to be a resident of the United Kingdom.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
How easy would be it be to get registered again?
Depends how easy it would be for you to move back to the UK.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui

also think about your attitude towards 'intervention'. If you are not into pain and want drugs up the wazoo and want/dont care if you end up with a c-section - then US is a very good fit. If you prefer more natural and less intrusion and intervention (and c-section only if reqd) - then the UK is a much better fit. I had my third child as a home birth here (prev 2 were born in the uk) and people here look at me like i'm insane when i tell them. I also had to forcefully opt out of unnecessary tests here that were just given to everyone. (ie in the uk they give a glucose test for maternal diabetes if ANY of your monthly tests give an indications. In the US the glucose is administered to all regardless.) or that the US hospital want to stick a cannula in your arm upon arrival - so its easier to administer drugs later. I strongly preferred to wait until i needed drugs (which i didnt end up needing at all).
Not my cup of tea either.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

so she may have to pay something (like she will no doubt with a co-pay or whatever here) - they wont 'not help her'.
I didn't say they wouldn't help her. As Moshi-Moshi posted...there is a good chance she would have to pay.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

This is not true. It really, really depends on your hospital. Please shop around IF your insurance allows it.

My wife did not have a glucose test in either hospital maternity program she attended.

The midwifery program at UCSD actively encourages natural birth. They do not want you to have a C-section because it takes longer to recover. They also do not want to give you drugs. There was no cannula put in my wife's arm. But there is no pressure either way, there main focus is doing what you want and making you comfortable.

I have heard that the NHS makes you share recovery rooms, and also the staff are not as attentive as in the US. But this is all anecdotes from the women I know that have had a child in both countries.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bewildering
This is not true. It really, really depends on your hospital. Please shop around IF your insurance allows it.

My wife did not have a glucose test in either hospital maternity program she attended.

The midwifery program at UCSD actively encourages natural birth. They do not want you to have a C-section because it takes longer to recover. They also do not want to give you drugs. There was no cannula put in my wife's arm. But there is no pressure either way, there main focus is doing what you want and making you comfortable.

I have heard that the NHS makes you share recovery rooms, and also the staff are not as attentive as in the US. But this is all anecdotes from the women I know that have had a child in both countries.
That's good to know. Every mother I have come across here seems to have had a lot of intervention.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering

Just to add another anecdote. There are plenty of good hospital based midwife programs out there if you look for them. My wife gave birth at St Josephs here in Phoenix and the care was exemplary and minimal with regards to intervention in the birth.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audi4t

Trivia - Winston Churchill was given honorary US citizenship after WW2 - one of a select few to be given this distinction.
Trivia - Winnie was also a citizen at birth. Several Courts have ruled that it was a violation of equal protection that Jennie was not allowed to pass down citizenship but a man in her position would have been. His children were also US citizens by the same token.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Does the UK have the equivalent of the Irish foreign births registrar to allow citizenship to continue through the generations?
Not in the same way. Though one can be registered as a Brit, if certain criteria is met. But it doesn't apply that many generations down the line like the Irish seem to allow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.