Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Birth Delivery Options- Which Country?

Birth Delivery Options- Which Country?

Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth Delivery Options- Which Country?

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
When you mean by "not a resident", what exactly are you saying? I still have my own home, bank account (paying taxes of course) etc as I only moved to the States just 2 years ago.
How many days a year do you live in the UK? I think it goes by that.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

When you mean by "not a resident", what exactly are you saying? I still have my own home, bank account (paying taxes of course) etc as I only moved to the States just 2 years ago.
A UK resident, by definition, is someone who normally resides in the UK. If you've been living in the US for 2 years, you're not a resident of the UK. Owning property and having a bank account in the UK does not make you a UK resident.

If you returned to the UK just to use NHS services, there is probably no way for them to know that you are not a UK resident (unless they ask you and you answer truthfully) since you have UK citizenship and can provide what looks like a permanent UK address. However, if you show up to have a baby, they'd probably want to know who your GP is and the medical history of the pregnancy.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:44 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How many days a year do you live in the UK? I think it goes by that.
Not sure it does.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...rom_abroad.htm
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
A UK resident, by definition, is someone who normally resides in the UK. If you've been living in the US for 2 years, you're not a resident of the UK.
For NHS treatment purposes, this is simply incorrect. If you have returned with the intention of staying in the UK then you are absolutely 100% entitled to free NHS treatment.

From: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...rom_abroad.htm

You can receive free NHS hospital treatment if you:-
  • Have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse

I could have received free NHS treatment as well (whilst I was in L-1 status) via this qualifying statement:
  • Normally work in the UK, but are temporarily working abroad for less than five years. You also need to have lived in the UK continuously for at least ten years before going overseas.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Yes, I would have thought it means where you actually live - "You can get free NHS hospital treatment if you are lawfully entitled to be in the UK and usually live here. This is called being ordinarily resident." - but thought I had seen something about the number of days. Maybe that is for just for taxation. OP seemed to be saying she pays UK tax.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For NHS treatment purposes, this is simply incorrect. If you have returned with the intention of staying in the UK then you are absolutely 100% entitled to free NHS treatment.

• Have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse

I could have received free NHS treatment as well (whilst I was in L-1 status) via this qualifying statement:
  • Normally work in the UK, but are temporarily working abroad for less than five years. You also need to have lived in the UK continuously for at least ten years before going overseas.
Oh right, maybe she can then.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't live there though. Paying taxes and owning a home is irrelevant.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Which means you are not a UK resident.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 5:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Which means you are not a UK resident.
...yet could still qualify for free NHS treatment depending on their intentions / circumstance.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

A UK resident, by definition, is someone who normally resides in the UK.

Regardless of whether they are entitled to free NHS treatment, the point I was making is that the OP is not a UK resident. There may be exceptions that the OP (and other non-UK residents) can take advantage of but that does not change the fact that the OP is not a UK resident. Of course, if you have returned to the UK permanently then you are a UK resident - that's stating the obvious.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:17 pm
Banned

Regardless of whether they are entitled to free NHS treatment, the point I was making is that the OP is not a UK resident. There may be exceptions that the OP (and other non-UK residents) can take advantage of but that does not change the fact that the OP is not a UK resident. Of course, if you have returned to the UK permanently then you are a UK resident - that's stating the obvious.
Sure. I was just gently making the point (not at you) that being a UK resident is not the only qualifying criteria for free NHS treatment.
Old May 2nd 2014, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Now that the citizenship question has been answered, definitely stay in the US, where you already are. I cannot imagine upheaving myself and starting over with a new midwife, different clinics, a hospital I'm not familiar with, let alone the horrific idea of sitting on a long haul flight and dealing with all that swelling. Even sitting in a car for 3 hours was awful. And then flying back to the US with a newborn...no way. And that's if everything goes well, which it might not. You might be stuck in the UK for a while if baby ends up in NICU.

As others have said, you have far more options in the US. If you want to choose a c-section or an induction that's not medically necessary, you can (though it's becoming rarer, thankfully). If you want midwife led care that emphasises minimal intervention, you can have that instead. Where I live, home births and doulas are very common, so that's an option too in many parts of the US. Also, with great insurance, you're getting better care in the US for much less money: my copay for maternity care is $0. Hospital stay will be a lot more than $0, but that's all right, wouldn't go anywhere else for my care.
Old May 2nd 2014, 10:39 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
so she may have to pay something (like she will no doubt with a co-pay or whatever here) - they wont 'not help her'.
They'd help if you turned up in labour, but you might have trouble getting proper antenatal care. I wasn't allowed to have an ultrasound until I had proved I was resident. That was a London hospital, though.

However, if you show up to have a baby, they'd probably want to know who your GP is and the medical history of the pregnancy.
If you returned to your old GP at a fairly early stage of the pregnancy, I expect they wouldn't even think to ask about residency.

But if you were returning to another area of the UK, you'd have to register with a new GP and go through the usual residency checks (ours require a tenancy agreement or council tax bill, plus passport and photo ID).

Also, the NHS antenatal care system is very standardized, and whenever you see a healthcare provider the first thing they ask you for is your NHS pregnancy notes. You're supposed to have them on you at all times, as they're a kind of diary of your pregnancy, test results, medical appointments etc. Nearly everyone has a 'booking in' appointment at 8-12 weeks, and follows a regular schedule of midwife/GP appointments, with everything dutifully recorded and signed in your notes. They even have little barcode stickers.

As I said, I was already 6+ months pregnant when I made it onto the NHS system, and all I ever heard about was these bloody notes! First it was 'where are your notes? You don't HAVE ANY NOTES?' 'Why are you just booking in now? Did you not know you were pregnant?'. Then, when I did have notes, everyone asked me why they only started at 6+ months, and I had to explain over and over America yadda yadda moved back yadda yadda yes it's very different there.

Oh, and although I'd already had all the usual 0-6 month tests in the States, and had the OB-GYN records with me, I had to do most of them again in the UK. Apparently it's a liability issue; the NHS wants to make sure all your info is correct.

So there is really no way of subtly entering the NHS system when you're already visibly pregnant. Unless you want to look like a complete idiot and claim you've only just noticed.

Originally Posted by Rose tea
I cannot imagine upheaving myself and starting over with a new midwife, different clinics, a hospital I'm not familiar with, let alone the horrific idea of sitting on a long haul flight and dealing with all that swelling. Even sitting in a car for 3 hours was awful. And then flying back to the US with a newborn...no way. And that's if everything goes well, which it might not. You might be stuck in the UK for a while if baby ends up in NICU.
Absolutely.

I actually wouldn't mind if I gave birth in the UK or the US-with-good-insurance. Yes, there are big differences, but if you're informed and able to advocate for yourself then I think you can aim for the birth experience you want in either country. (The key words being aim for.)
Old May 5th 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I would go for the UK, based on schooling etc.

My OH & I are going to plan for a kid later this year and I wanted to have some opinions on where to go for delivery.

My dad is a naturalised citizen, and my mum became naturalised last year after having PR for the past 30years. I was born & brought up in the UK & have lived there all my life until the past 2years when I came to USA. We are hoping to settle in the US, but till now it's just a dream & we're hoping everything goes smoothly.

My questions are- Based on the information above, will I be able to pass on my UK citizenship to my (future) kid if he/she's born in the US? If no & I go to the UK for delivery how easy will it be to apply for US citizenship/green card (provided we have our green cards by then).

What are the pro/cons for having delivery either in US or UK? Which one will be more efficient (I'm thinking long term)?

Thanks for any help!
Old May 5th 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
This is not true. It really, really depends on your hospital. Please shop around IF your insurance allows it.

My wife did not have a glucose test in either hospital maternity program she attended.

The midwifery program at UCSD actively encourages natural birth. They do not want you to have a C-section because it takes longer to recover. They also do not want to give you drugs. There was no cannula put in my wife's arm. But there is no pressure either way, there main focus is doing what you want and making you comfortable.

I have heard that the NHS makes you share recovery rooms, and also the staff are not as attentive as in the US. But this is all anecdotes from the women I know that have had a child in both countries.
I second this, I live in San Diego too and used Kaiser to deliver my baby. (I was under UCSD care until 24 weeks then our group insurance changes). Neither UCSD or Kaiser made me feel forced into anything. When the time came to deliver my OBGYN was happy to allow me to wait it out rather than force an induction (with the caveat of extra monitoring whihc made sense). I went into labour myself and had zero meds for pain or anything until the point I requested it (laboured with nothing, had been pushing for 2 hours and even I could tell baby was just not coming and a c-section was inevitable). I told the nurses/docs on arrival of my plan and they stuck to it to the letter. Turns out my baby was OP presentation and that combined with him being a 10lber meant their was no way he was coming the regular route.

At my post partum check my OB fully supported a VBAC for next time. So I guess I am saying don't tar all doctors out here with the same brush.

To the OP - if baby is born in the US, it will autmoatically get US citizenship. If you were born in the UK and have citizewnship other than by descent then baby has the right to UK citizenship too.