Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Birth Delivery Options- Which Country?

Birth Delivery Options- Which Country?

Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of
Default Re: Birth Delivery Options- Which Country?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's good to know. Every mother I have come across here seems to have had a lot of intervention.
I think that you can find plenty of examples of non intrusive delivery in US hospitals and intrusive delivery in UK hospitals. I have delivered twice in the US (California). Never delivered in the UK.
First time = no drugs, no intervention, quick, simple, easy. Cost $200.
Second time = lots of drugs, lots of doctors (16 people in the room!), twins, c-section, $75,000. Yikes.

The one thing about delivering a baby that you can guarantee is that it won't go exactly the way you planned.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:22 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

In the Uk I had a lot less choice in my delivery (it was what was avaliable rather than what I wanted). I shared a room with 7 other mothers after giving birth. The doctors were few and far between and when one did appear he asked my how my c-scar was doing. That was a little awkward as I hadn't had a c-section. Mr Weeze had to argue with the pediatrician as they had failed at basic maths.

In the USA I had a choice of hospital and delivery options. I had a private room with room service and it was a wonderful experience. There are more natural midwife led options here, my friend just used tone.

For me there was no comparison. I have excellent Heath insurance.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack

The one thing about delivering a baby that you can guarantee is that it won't go exactly the way you planned.
That is the truth!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
That is the truth!
Probably a good reason to be in familiar surroundings.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 10:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
I have excellent Heath insurance.
That is key.

As is location. Some states don't allow home births and midwives while some do and it's usually somewhere in the middle of what the options are.

Big difference we've noticed is the level of pre/post natal care including anti-natal classes.

Not much option down our way, first birth, great insurance, but didn't cover much in the classes or post natal care and asking for a home visit from the doctor would have been a grand just for the call out. Other friends, have had decent cover for classes.

Then friends in the UK, have had both, great choice and quality to not much choice, but the big difference was it costing them nothing but the cost of parking which was a couple quid a time and they even moaned about that.

Oh and if there are complications, that can be a big factor. We're still paying off Bobette #2 and she turned 3 earlier this year, after spending 3 weeks in NICU as a preamie. With "good" insurance.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Canada.

Your child will then have Canadian and British citizenship at birth and will gain US citizenship when you naturalised at a later date.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
costing them nothing but the cost of parking which was a couple quid a time and they even moaned about that.
so typical.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
so typical.
Yeah, after the $20 a day parking we paid at the first hospital
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Based on my experience of giving birth 3 times in the UK, I would say just stay in the US.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP doesn't really have a choice of where to have the baby...the mum is not a UK resident and therefore is not eligible to use the NHS for the birth.
Actually visitors are allowed to use the NHS. The issue is whether they have to pay for services or not. Some services are free even to overseas visitors. Other services incur a charge.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Canada.

Your child will then have Canadian and British citizenship at birth and will gain US citizenship when you naturalised at a later date.
Yeah but what about the cost? Does the mother have health coverage in Canada?
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kins
Based on my experience of giving birth 3 times in the UK, I would say just stay in the US.
My wife would agree with you! We have 4 kids of which 2 were born in Canada, 1 in the UK and 1 in the US. The scariest birth by far was the one in the UK in terms of facilities and service. The hospital was dilapidated. I went to use the bathroom and the door was hanging off its hinges. I won't go into details here but the birth itself was just scary. The staff were fine but my wife (who is also a nurse) could tell that they were completely overwhelmed and lacking modern equipment. Even good people can give crappy service if they are operating under less than ideal circumstances. Years later we read a report that cited the hospital's maternity unit as having one of the highest death rates in the UK.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
We have a very comprehensive health insurance (by the company).
So why on earth would you consider going to the UK to have the baby? Have the baby where you live.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
So why on earth would you consider going to the UK to have the baby? Have the baby where you live.
Yes, I am considering that- just in case if you see my initial OP, I wasn't able to pass on my citizenship to my (future) child. But as long as I was born & brought up there and am a British Citizen (not by descent) I think there should be no problem?
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP doesn't really have a choice of where to have the baby...the mum is not a UK resident and therefore is not eligible to use the NHS for the birth.
When you mean by "not a resident", what exactly are you saying? I still have my own home, bank account (paying taxes of course) etc as I only moved to the States just 2 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.