Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

birth control help?

birth control help?

Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: birth control help?

Originally Posted by MsElui
in the short term and to prevent the pregnancy issue you can just buy condoms in the supermarket.

If you want to match the specific pills you had back in the UK- then track down the exact name of the tablets (full name and maybe also the medication name they go by too) and the manufacturer. Packaging from the last set would be useful. Then maybe show this to a local pharmacy and see if it is something they can get hold off. Ie do they recognise the brand/manufacturer/packaging etc as it MIGHT not be identical to what they have here or not under the same name etc. If you cant get hold of the right stuff then you have a choice as to whether or not to pursue getting an alternative from a doc here or just waiting til you get back home and starting up again.

last option - could you caLl in a repeat prescription to your docs in the UK - get someone to collect for you and post them to you?
That wouldn't do her any good, unless she can get a prescription for them. The pharmacy will not dispense birth control without one. Best advice is to take any packaging she still has to Planned Parenthood, and do whatever they require to get a script for the same pill.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

sadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
From the BF who's not getting any?

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Looks like we're off to planned parenthood asap
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:28 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

AND a sponge, lol.
Depends if the BF is sponge worthy.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Depends if the BF is sponge worthy.

That is one of my top time favorites. I have SO been there done that!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:18 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
That wouldn't do her any good, unless she can get a prescription for them. The pharmacy will not dispense birth control without one. Best advice is to take any packaging she still has to Planned Parenthood, and do whatever they require to get a script for the same pill.
i know - but if the pharmacies over here done have access to the specific brand she wants then its moot if she needs a prescription.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

<covering my little doggie ears>

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

I can't hear you!

Lucky (Ian's doggie)
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

sadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nice

Poor Lucky, I think it's your eyes you should cover, not your ears!
Originally Posted by MsElui
i know - but if the pharmacies over here done have access to the specific brand she wants then its moot if she needs a prescription.
This is true, but luckily I have absolutely no brand-loyalty with regards to birth control! Over the years I've tried various different ones and they all seem about the same.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Planned Parenthood doesn't care about your immigration status and it's a sliding scale fee, and will be much cheaper than going to a doctor's visit. PP is geared for low income people and wouldn't be considered expensive by most any stretch.
If you've lost your current pack, bear in mind the consequences of missing even a day and be sure to use backup BC. GOOD backup.
Planned parenthood doesn't care about your immigration status, but they might want you to be resident of the town/county to offer free/cheap service...depends how they're funded.

Getting the exam and a prescription could well be cheap/free but you've got to fill it, and that might not be so cheap though.

Just deal with being on the rag and sheep up
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with PP - or the docs I go to is a health center that does fees on sliding scale for non-insured, there might be something like that near you. Although the prescription cost will be $$$ without insurance. If you get the script, check online for the price and compare pharmacies too. Ask for the cheapest one if possible from the doc too, they often know.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap scrip = Costco, if you're a member.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap scrip = Costco, if you're a member.
Wally World or Target do cheap scripts too...not sure if BC is on their list though.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wally World or Target do cheap scripts too...not sure if BC is on their list though.
It's usually not.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Thought I'd pop back with an update for the curious types

We went, I sat in a room for half an hour on my own with loads of medical supplies(people must be more trustworthy here, can't imagine being left alone with needles, etc. in the UK), answered some delightfully personal questions(I was expecting most of them, but the "specifically what kinds of sex have you had recently?" threw me xP) got charged $50 for the "exam" and $20 for each pack of pills. Nowhere near as expensive as we were expecting and they give you the pills there rather than a prescription.

Not a bad experience at all, but very much made me appreciate the free healthcare back home, especially as they offered me an IUD for the bargain price of $300(not being sarcastic here, it was a bargain, they were offering the actual thing for free and fitting it costs $300). Definitely made me re-think my squeamishness about implants, IUDs, etc. I'll be off to the docs when I get home!

Again, thanks for the advice ^^
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:25 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

glad your sorted. Although you do know that now you've coughed up almost $100 - you will likely find the old lost stuff within the day