Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

birth control help?

birth control help?

Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

sadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nice
Default birth control help?

I'm not actually an expat(yet!), but I'm a Brit currently staying in the US in need of some help and hoping you guys can help me out

I'm currently in the US with my American boyfriend via the 90 day visa waiver(esta) and have lost my last two packs of birth control(I'm thinking they somehow got thrown out with the trash ). I have another 5 weeks out here and don't want to turn into a bleeding, spotty, angry bitch, or worse; get pregnant!

I have no idea where I can go, I have no insurance(didn't think I'd need it, stupid, I know) and I don't know how things work out here. If I see a doctor is it going to cost me a fortune? Can I go to planned parenthood as a non-us citizen? Would that be just as expensive anyway? My boyfriend has health insurance, but I'm only visiting, so I'm assuming that's no use?

I'm completely lost on what to do and would really appreciate any advice/suggestions.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:39 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: birth control help?

Can you go to Planned Parenthood?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

sadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nice

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Can you go to Planned Parenthood?
I checked and there's a couple in our area, so getting there wouldn't be an issue, but I don't know if I can do that as a visitor to the US and if it's going to be expensive?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:52 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

in the short term and to prevent the pregnancy issue you can just buy condoms in the supermarket.

If you want to match the specific pills you had back in the UK- then track down the exact name of the tablets (full name and maybe also the medication name they go by too) and the manufacturer. Packaging from the last set would be useful. Then maybe show this to a local pharmacy and see if it is something they can get hold off. Ie do they recognise the brand/manufacturer/packaging etc as it MIGHT not be identical to what they have here or not under the same name etc. If you cant get hold of the right stuff then you have a choice as to whether or not to pursue getting an alternative from a doc here or just waiting til you get back home and starting up again.

last option - could you caLl in a repeat prescription to your docs in the UK - get someone to collect for you and post them to you?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You can use healthcare regardless of what your nationality is, you will just have to pay the cash price which may or may not be expensive. If you can find a doctor they will be able to write a prescription, if you are lucky you might be able to get one to do it for free if your boyfriend knows one. Planned parenthood will be able to get you a prescription but they might make you take a physical exam which could cost you around $100-200 depending on how much the doctor charges. The pills themselves are relatively cheap depending on the type, under $50 for a month and some are less than $20.

By the way, even if you got travel insurance, this wouldn't be covered under it so don't worry about that.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In the interim, condoms plus spermicide!

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

If you have a fairly regular cycle then I'd recommend just using condoms during your fertile period; if you've no idea when that is then just use condoms all the time.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadphish
I checked and there's a couple in our area, so getting there wouldn't be an issue, but I don't know if I can do that as a visitor to the US and if it's going to be expensive?
Planned Parenthood doesn't care about your immigration status and it's a sliding scale fee, and will be much cheaper than going to a doctor's visit. PP is geared for low income people and wouldn't be considered expensive by most any stretch.
If you've lost your current pack, bear in mind the consequences of missing even a day and be sure to use backup BC. GOOD backup.

A similar thing happened to me, and I don't believe in accidents, so abstaining is always an option as well.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In the interim, condoms plus spermicide!

Rene
AND a sponge, lol.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
If you have a fairly regular cycle then I'd recommend just using condoms during your fertile period; if you've no idea when that is then just use condoms all the time.
That's not very reliable advice to give out.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 1st 2010 at 7:22 pm. Reason: typo
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

.....or, no shagging for 5 weeks. It'll be just like being married.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
So will the yelling, crying and bitchiness!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
So will the yelling, crying and bitchiness!
From the BF who's not getting any?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
From the BF who's not getting any?
Darn it, I already karma'd you today. Extra public karma for this one! LOL
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.