Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Birth Certificate question

Birth Certificate question

Old Aug 8th 2002, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Visitor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Birth Certificate question

Does the certified copy have to be certified by an American person or is a British copy good enough?
Old Aug 8th 2002, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I submitted only a photo copy of mine it wasn't even certified. (I-485 says a copy) What is yours for?
Old Aug 10th 2002, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

syedraza70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Birth Certificate question

it only has to be a birth certificate, what they accept for 485 is 1, copy of your birth certificate (certified/not certified) , in case you dont have your orignal birth certificate or you dont have your birth certificate at all you then can go to the Embassy of your country in USA probebly in Washington and when you go to your Embassy tell them that you need a birth certificate they will see your Passport to make sure and other applicable ID use in your country and then will issue you a letter stating that you are born on this date and that is also accepted by INS, for AOS , REMEMBER: some person give the copy of their passport to prove their Brith date but INS does not accept Passport in lieu of birth certificate
Old Aug 12th 2002, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, it is for the 485 package.
The application form does state 'copy' so i guess a photocopy is good enough. I read elsewhere that a certified copy was needed but i guess that is incorrect.

Last edited by Visitor; Aug 12th 2002 at 1:54 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so they have changed the rules so that a copy is good enough but the INS can ask to see the original at a later date, if they so require.