Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Birth Certificate

Birth Certificate

Old May 2nd 2001, 11:03 pm

Jade is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiance lives in Canada and I just found out they have a birth certificate, and a "long form" birth certificate. Which do we need? I'm guessing the long form (nothing can be short and easy with this process, right?) Do I need to include a copy of his birth certificate with the I-129F, or just my own and he takes his to the interview? If anyone has any web sites for his half of the paperwork in Canada it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2001, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Yep, you need the long form birth certificate. I'm not sure whether you need his for the I-129F, but regardless you only need photocopies for the I-129F. For his interview, you need originals of both yours and his!
About locating his copies of his birth certificate...in England you have to talk to the Registers Office for the area you were born in. I'd look for similarly named things in Canada, or just search for "Birth Certificate" and "Canada" on a search engine. I found my info pretty quickly this way! Good luck with this!

-Harry
Old May 3rd 2001, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Yep, you need the long form birth certificate. I'm not sure whether you need his for the I-129F, but regardless you only need photocopies for the I-129F. For his interview, you need originals of both yours and his!
About locating his copies of his birth certificate...in England you have to talk to the Registers Office for the area you were born in. I'd look for similarly named things in Canada, or just search for "Birth Certificate" and "Canada" on a search engine. I found my info pretty quickly this way! Good luck with this!

-Harry
Old May 8th 2001, 9:16 pm
Ray and Sandi

Hi Jade: We just got the K1 and I flew into California in March and was married in
April. Your fiance must order the long form birth certificate. Do a search on
birthcertificates Canada. You can fax them the info and they accept payment by major
credit cards. You can pay an extra fee if you are in a hurry to get yours faster (I
was) - it normally takes several weeks - check and find out. I had them couriered to
me, and I ordered 2 - just in case. You need a copy of your information to send with
the i-129F and the form saying that you certify that you made the copies from the
originals. Your fiance doesnt need to send his with the I-129F although I sent copies
of my short form birth certificate (all I had at the time) to prove that I was a
Canadian. You will need to get the original of all your paperwork to your fiance once
the I-129F is approved, as he will have to show the originals if he is asked for
them. He takes a complete set of copies of the originals to give to the Consulate at
his interview, and has the originals there too in case they want to see them to be
sure. Keep the originals for the next processes (AOS, AP etc) Good luck

Sandi

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 9th 2001, 9:09 am
illie

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Of course, being Canada these are province specific. I looked on the website for BC
Vital Statistics and they wanted $32.95CDN for the "large birth certificate" which is
the one with the parents on it. Said it could be ordered by phone, fax, over the net,
or in person. I wandered in to the Vital Stats office in Victoria and got it for $27
(They don't charge the extra $5.95 if you do it in person) in about 5 minutes.

They said most people born after 1970 are completely in their computer system and
they can print off large style certificates immediately for them. Others may not have
the parents information, and take a couple days to process. If there is an office in
the town you're in you may find this really easy and painless.

Oh, the BC Vital Statistics site for doing Birth Certificates (and marriage, etc.) is
http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/

Ian