Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Big Yin & Ken Bigley

Big Yin & Ken Bigley

Old Oct 9th 2004, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Big Yin & Ken Bigley

Did anyone else see the story about the world's unfunniest comedian ( Billy Conolly ) making jokes about Mr Bigley ? He 'joked' that they should hurry up and get on with it, then when one of his audience heckled him about it he had a go at him. Still Billy, least you got your wish then.

How do people find him funny ?
Old Oct 9th 2004, 10:19 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Yin & Ken Bigley

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Did anyone else see the story about the world's unfunniest comedian ( Billy Conolly ) making jokes about Mr Bigley ? He 'joked' that they should hurry up and get on with it, then when one of his audience heckled him about it he had a go at him. Still Billy, least you got your wish then.

I've always thought he was a really good comedian, but that's just sick. What on Earth was he thinking?
Old Oct 9th 2004, 10:23 am
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy

I've not seen exactly what he said, but I have read claims from his side of things saying he was misquoted, so I'm holding back my judgement until I know for sure.

On a side note, he is not the worlds unfunniest comedian, he is a very funny man who's comedy I have enjoyed over many years. But thats just my opinion.

Dont get me wrong, if he did make those jokes, and meant them in the way the national tabloids claim, then I'll be disgusted, but I'll also be very surprised.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 11:16 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torpkevuk
I've not seen exactly what he said, but I have read claims from his side of things saying he was misquoted, so I'm holding back my judgement until I know for sure.

On a side note, he is not the worlds unfunniest comedian, he is a very funny man who's comedy I have enjoyed over many years. But thats just my opinion.

Dont get me wrong, if he did make those jokes, and meant them in the way the national tabloids claim, then I'll be disgusted, but I'll also be very surprised.
He made a comment about the hostage takers just getting on with it. I think he said he was getting bored with the situation. He also made some comments about Ken Bigley's wife being younger than him. When someone in the audience said something along the lines of "This is a man's life you're talking about", he uttered some expletive or other. Whichever way you look at it, that's in extremely poor taste and is totally thoughtless.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 1:18 pm
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Whichever way you look at it, that's in extremely poor taste and is totally thoughtless.
Absolutely poor taste, and I'm sure he'll continue to be crucified in the tabloids for it, but, unfortunately he wasn't the first, and he certainly wont be the last comedian to make an off-colour joke that upsets the general populace, (for example, Chubby Brown in Birmingham after a fire at a football stadium I think it was [-now that, is a man who i really think is not funny-])

In all honesty though, I do like Billy Connolly's comedy shows, I think hes a great performer, though he may lose a fair bit of respect from his comment, I'm sure that he never meant it in such a callous way as the tabloids are making out. Quite frankly, and again, this is just my opinion, I think that people have gone way over the top on his comments. Yes, they are in terribly poor taste. Yes they may seem cruel. Yes, he made a tremendously poor decision in judgement. But we all make mistakes. I remember one time when I was in university and a friend of mine turned up in a suit, and I jokingly asked him who'd died, and it turned out it was a very close family member. I felt a right fool and felt bad about it, but we cant turn back time and take comments back.

Please dont think I'm advocating the comments he made, I was born and bred in Liverpool, spent all my life here, I used to work down the road from where Ken Bigley lived, so I know the public feeling and I feel nothing but the greatest sympathy for Mr. Bigley's family. But crucifying a comedian who made a joke in poor taste will not bring Mr. Bigley back, or relieve his family's grief one iota.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 2:55 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Absolutely poor taste, and I'm sure he'll continue to be crucified in the tabloids for it, but, unfortunately he wasn't the first, and he certainly wont be the last comedian to make an off-colour joke that upsets the general populace, (for example, Chubby Brown in Birmingham after a fire at a football stadium I think it was [-now that, is a man who i really think is not funny-])

In all honesty though, I do like Billy Connolly's comedy shows, I think hes a great performer, though he may lose a fair bit of respect from his comment, I'm sure that he never meant it in such a callous way as the tabloids are making out. Quite frankly, and again, this is just my opinion, I think that people have gone way over the top on his comments. Yes, they are in terribly poor taste. Yes they may seem cruel. Yes, he made a tremendously poor decision in judgement. But we all make mistakes. I remember one time when I was in university and a friend of mine turned up in a suit, and I jokingly asked him who'd died, and it turned out it was a very close family member. I felt a right fool and felt bad about it, but we cant turn back time and take comments back.

Please dont think I'm advocating the comments he made, I was born and bred in Liverpool, spent all my life here, I used to work down the road from where Ken Bigley lived, so I know the public feeling and I feel nothing but the greatest sympathy for Mr. Bigley's family. But crucifying a comedian who made a joke in poor taste will not bring Mr. Bigley back, or relieve his family's grief one iota.
I totally agree - we all make mistakes and crucifying people for them doesn't take them back. However, most of us apologise when we realise we have said something that has upset people. As far as I'm aware (although I could be wrong - the tabloids undoubtedly wouldn't be as quick to print it) Billy Connolly hasn't done so. Don't get me wrong - I have a lot of respect for the guy. I think he's an outstanding comedian and has also given a lot of his time for charities, which I applaud (the naked in Piccadilly Circus incident springs to mind ) but he should have apologised for his comments. That kind of thing just shouldn't be joked about.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:28 pm
Scouse Git

I totally agree - we all make mistakes and crucifying people for them doesn't take them back. However, most of us apologise when we realise we have said something that has upset people. As far as I'm aware (although I could be wrong - the tabloids undoubtedly wouldn't be as quick to print it) Billy Connolly hasn't done so. Don't get me wrong - I have a lot of respect for the guy. I think he's an outstanding comedian and has also given a lot of his time for charities, which I applaud (the naked in Piccadilly Circus incident springs to mind ) but he should have apologised for his comments. That kind of thing just shouldn't be joked about.
I absoluetly agree with you Wintersong

Incidentally, heres a few quotes from 'The Scotsman' News, just for the record, as it were.

Comic Billy Connolly today said he was “desperately sad� by reports of the death of Ken Bigley – days after being criticised for making jokes about his plight.

But a spokeswoman for the Scottish stand-up comic said today: “If the reports (of Mr Bigley’s death) are true, Billy Connolly, like everyone else, is desperately sad by the news.

“His thoughts are with Ken Bigley’s family.�

A statement on the Big Yin’s website, posted yesterday, said the star was “angry and disgusted� by the reports about his jokes on stage.

It said: “Billy’s stage comments were restricted to pointing out the hypocrisy of some people, including sections of the media, faking concern about Mr Bigley’s predicament while enjoying the drama of the tragedy and exploiting it for their own ends.�

The statement added: “Billy is saddened by any distress these false reports have caused Mr Bigley’s family and he hopes that Mr Bigley returns home safely.�
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:33 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

I absolutely agree with you Wintersong

Incidentally, heres a few quotes from 'The Scotsman' News, just for the record, as it were.
At least there are a few papers that can be relied upon to give both sides of the story - it's just a shame that the ones south of the border can't do the same. Makes me pine for my days in Aberdeen!
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:43 pm
Scouse Git

At least there are a few papers that can be relied upon to give both sides of the story - it's just a shame that the ones south of the border can't do the same. Makes me pine for my days in Aberdeen!
Ahh.. give me Edinburgh any time
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:45 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Easily the best comedian to come from the British Isles. Trying to think of another one who still sells out shows across the country 30 odd years after starting out...nope can't think of one. As usual the chav papers blow everything out of proportion and conveniently misquote. He should not have brought this into his routine however, not sure what he was thinking. But like someone said, we all make mistakes.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:48 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Yeah - you can take it
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:49 pm
Scouse Git

Yeah - you can take it
ha ha :P
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:51 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by tony_2003
Easily the best comedian to come from the British Isles. Trying to think of another one who still sells out shows across the country 30 odd years after starting out...nope can't think of one. As usual the chav papers blow everything out of proportion and conveniently misquote. He should not have brought this into his routine however, not sure what he was thinking. But like someone said, we all make mistakes.
Channel 5 are currently running a "best living comedian" thing. Connolly's in there, along with Victoria Wood, Dawn French and... Frank Skinner! Sorry, but I can't bear him or his orange underpants.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:53 pm
Scouse Git

Channel 5 are currently running a "best living comedian" thing. Connolly's in there, along with Victoria Wood, Dawn French and... Frank Skinner! Sorry, but I can't bear him or his orange underpants.
Victoria Wood is class, as is Billy Connolly imo. The other 2.. well.. can take or leave Dawn French, Frank Skinner, i think *very* over-hyped, but, each to their own
Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:29 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't disagree with that

Victoria Wood, about as funny as Jasper Carrot and Russ Abott...i.e not funny in the slightest.

Skinner is ok on the TV shows he does, but his jokes are on a par with what you'd hear your mates saying in the pub, nothing special.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.