Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Big hello ! From a "moist " UK ....

Big hello ! From a "moist " UK ....

Old Jan 7th 2016, 1:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big hello ! From a "moist " UK ....

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
If you want heat what's wrong with Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece?
Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Greek languages need to be learned?
Old Jan 7th 2016, 2:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sleeplessrowan
I fully agree with this comment about "people's grass.....except we don't want "heat" .
We have spent may happy times ( months or full seasons ) in the US & love the place & it's folk .
We don't want to move to or within Europe.
I must point out that visiting the US (even for extended periods, I did it for 2-3 months at a time before moving) isn't the same as living here, working here and trying to scratch together enough money to get by out here. Doubly so if you don't have a working US spouse as your route to get in. Take it from someone who does genuinely like living here, it was not always that way, and I did suffer from extreme culture shock and homesickness for about 3 years after I moved and reality set in. That took a few years to manifest as well. Something as insignificant as my mother selling her house was what kicked it off and my work situation at the time didn't help.

Now, I got over it, but it is a reality of moving anywhere that this kind of thing can happen.

Unfortunately, at this time at least, it doesn't look like you meet any requirements to be able to obtain a visa for the US at this time though, unless you have some more info you could share.

Seriously though, if you really do want to move, have you considered researching if Canada is an option?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Greek languages need to be learned?
You can get Rosetta stone for much less than the cost of a visa to the US (for example). Learning a new language need not be a bar to emigration.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

I fully agree with this comment about "people's grass.....except we don't want "heat" .
We have spent may happy times ( months or full seasons ) in the US & love the place & it's folk .
My apologies, your title seemed to imply you didn't care for the weather and were looking for somewhere more clement.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
North Carolina seems well thought of, but some of the locals can be a bit odd.
Have you spent much time in the Carolinas?
Old Jan 7th 2016, 4:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Other than sinking your nest egg into a business in exchange for E-2 visas (which have considerable strings attached) you still haven't told us anything that will give you even the faintest hope of visas to live in the US.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Wasn't that a song by Shaggy?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope never been.

Never been invited.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
.... Never been invited.
I can't imagine why.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 10:00 am
Just Joined

sleeplessrowan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I must point out that visiting the US (even for extended periods, I did it for 2-3 months at a time before moving) isn't the same as living here, working here and trying to scratch together enough money to get by out here. Doubly so if you don't have a working US spouse as your route to get in. Take it from someone who does genuinely like living here, it was not always that way, and I did suffer from extreme culture shock and homesickness for about 3 years after I moved and reality set in. That took a few years to manifest as well. Something as insignificant as my mother selling her house was what kicked it off and my work situation at the time didn't help.

Now, I got over it, but it is a reality of moving anywhere that this kind of thing can happen.

Unfortunately, at this time at least, it doesn't look like you meet any requirements to be able to obtain a visa for the US at this time though, unless you have some more info you could share.

Seriously though, if you really do want to move, have you considered researching if Canada is an option?

You can get Rosetta stone for much less than the cost of a visa to the US (for example). Learning a new language need not be a bar to emigration.
Hello my friend, thank you for your honest opinions , it's strange this world we live in ! If your an honest tax paying, hard working (70+ hrs/week) , genuine guy/girl .....you struggle to emirate. .....
call yourself a refugee and doors round the world open for you. .....free housing....free cash handouts.....free medical.....free cars.....free food ...😠😠😠😠😠😠
Old Jan 11th 2016, 10:02 am
Just Joined

sleeplessrowan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
My apologies, your title seemed to imply you didn't care for the weather and were looking for somewhere more clement.
Lol.....no we are just having a VERY WET winter 💨💦💦💦
Old Jan 11th 2016, 10:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello my friend, thank you for your honest opinions , it's strange this world we live in ! If your an honest tax paying, hard working (70+ hrs/week) , genuine guy/girl .....you struggle to emirate. .....
call yourself a refugee and doors round the world open for you. .....free housing....free cash handouts.....free medical.....free cars.....free food ...😠😠😠😠😠😠
You would rather be a refugee would you?

As for struggling to emigrate, that's not correct - you can easily emigrate, but just not to the US. There are plenty of countries within the EU where you don't even need a visa, but you don't seem to want to move there. If you do want to move to the US, then work towards it - get yourselves degrees (preferably masters too), get married, work your way up in to a senior job where you can get a transfer etc.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

call yourself a refugee and doors round the world open for you. .....free housing....free cash handouts.....free medical.....free cars.....free food ...���������������� ������������������ �����
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You would rather be a refugee would you?
Seems he hasn't learnt the first rule of being an expat ..........most things you read in the taboid papers are garbage.

OP - if you are a genuine refugee, then no one should begrudge you the basics of life, but life is still far tougher than you or I could ever imagine.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 11th 2016 at 11:09 am.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:36 pm

I can't imagine someone called "Sultan" struggling to "emirate".
Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Now, you must remember that the US is not obligated to approve a visa for anyone if it doesn't want to, even the comparatively straight forward CR-1 or K1 visas. The whole US immigration system is set up to keep people out of the US, it's only until you get to the naturalization process that they start to want you to succeed.

You can be the hardest working, most regular, honest person in the world, but if you have no ties to the US (work, family, investment), it is meaningless. They have enough honest, genuine, hard working Americans as it is.

... call yourself a refugee and doors round the world open for you. .....free housing....free cash handouts.....free medical.....free cars.....free food ...� ��� � ��� � ��� � ��� � ��� � ���
Yeah, escaping a war torn country in fear for your life. Some people have it easy.

I can't imagine someone called "Sultan" struggling to "emirate".
Ooooo, punarific.