Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:48 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Precisely. Or suffer the consequences.
sounds lovely.
Elvire can move to Manistee, Partystar can move to China.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:48 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, sad but true.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I was giving her the benefit of the doubt...
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:50 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Is there a point to this? What are you trying to say?
That everyone has an opinion, unfortunately some people don't live a free land & aren't allowed to voice theirs.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:51 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Elvira
I was giving her the benefit of the doubt...
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:52 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manc
I'd love to know who they were talking to, I'm thinking member of the DNC and other opponents of the GOP.
Because no judge would allow them to tap say.........Howard Deans' phone.

But maybe I am a cynic.
No, just a realist. Cartoonist Ted Rall, who has been particularly vicious about Bush (portraying him as the medal-bedecked generalissimo of a banana republic), has written about a supposed Verizon employee who was fiddling with the phones in his apartment block and who fled like a bat out of hell when Rall asked to see his ID.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Lets see...

Police equipment:
Wooden truncheon.
Handcuffs
Rattle (later whistle)

No communications, no forensics, no crimanologists, databases, DNS, fingerprints etc etc etc. Crime was rife and when caught it was the coppers word against yours.

2005 (UK):
Handcuffs
Baton,
CS Spray
Airwaves (TETRA) digital radio

Very good communications, advanced forensics, fingerprints, DNA, intelligence databases, computer tools, CCTV, etc. Conviction requires proof beyond doubt preferably with non-circumstantial evidence. In order to provide that proof tools are required.

Every single tool used in modern police work could be considered a blight on civil liberties. Unfortunately, democracy and freedom are their own worst enemies by their very nature therefore we have to have tools to help protect them even if that means a small loss of percieved civil liberties. I dont want someone watching me, but of some scumbag robs my house I want them brought to justice and prosecuted. Ergo I must have some form of tool that may invade my civil liberties in order to protect them.

Of course that intrusion of liberties must also be monitored.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

What are the rules for using CS spray?

I would imagine it is for self defense only no?

that I can more than live with.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I would imagine it is for self defense only no?

that I can more than live with.
For UK Police?
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:54 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
For UK Police?
yes
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

In Florida ...if in doubt ...spray .....
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:56 pm
Back where I belong!

Lets see...

Police equipment:
Wooden truncheon.
Handcuffs
Rattle (later whistle)

No communications, no forensics, no crimanologists, databases, DNS, fingerprints etc etc etc. Crime was rife and when caught it was the coppers word against yours.

2005 (UK):
Handcuffs
Baton,
CS Spray
Airwaves (TETRA) digital radio

Very good communications, advanced forensics, fingerprints, DNA, intelligence databases, computer tools, CCTV, etc. Conviction requires proof beyond doubt preferably with non-circumstantial evidence. In order to provide that proof tools are required.

Every single tool used in modern police work could be considered a blight on civil liberties. Unfortunately, democracy and freedom are their own worst enemies by their very nature therefore we have to have tools to help protect them even if that means a small loss of percieved civil liberties. I dont want someone watching me, but of some scumbag robs my house I want them brought to justice and prosecuted. Ergo I must have some form of tool that may invade my civil liberties in order to protect them.

Of course that intrusion of liberties must also be monitored.
Well said. I'm guessing that everyone would change their tune if it was them that was the victim & the criminal was caught & convicted based on CCTV footage.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

yes
Use in self defence or to prevent a crime being commited or in the apprehension of a suspect of a crime that has been comitted where the use of such force is justified.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That's great, but I'm worried about the costs, who is watching them, the lack of man power to follow up on data they produce, their ineffectiveness in reducing crime etc...
On a side note, we've just had an amusing one of these locally. The state has mandated that pharmacies pull any OTC medicines containing ephedrine behind the counter and keep a log book of all those who buy it so as, they declare, to reduce the number of meth labs. They must fax the sheets from this log to DPS every week.

Now, the simple facts are this:
1/ OTC medicines containing ephedrine are not an economical method of obtaining ephedrine, one of the basic ingredients for making meth. Simply, if you wish to start a meth lab, you do not seek OTC medicines as your source of ephedrine.
2/ Despite the fact that the information is indeed useless, there is nobody at DPS to process the information as this was not even budgeted for, so they throw all this information in a big box and do nothing with it.

Bullshit over brains! Time and time again! Yet the guidable fall for it.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Use in self defence or to prevent a crime being commited or in the apprehension of a suspect of a crime that has been comitted where the use of such force is justified.
It does vary with forces though ...and departments within

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.