Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

I surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4570008.stm

The Presidnet authorised the NSA to conduct surveillance on US citizens without approval from a judge.
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
It is certainly not A.

more accidents occured due to people slamming on. Indeed it was such a problem that the EU passed a mandate requiring all camera's to be painted flourescent yellow so they could be seen further away.

Speed humps are just as good at slowing people down..........so why the need for camera's if the answer is just A?
Because speed humps on a motorway would be a tad dangerous!!!
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I agree. But concentrating on these things will reduce it greatly. If you want to stop it completely, let's monitor everybody all the time. I worry about who will monitor the monitors, though! And it's not a world I would particularly want to live in.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

However its a sad fact that while there are humans there will be crimes.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Absolutely. And we (they) need all the tools we can use in detecting crime and legally bringing criminals to justice.
You realise you just opened the door for Leslie to mention a Policeman's tool? :scared:
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You realise you just opened the door for Leslie to mention a Policeman's tool? :scared:
Uh oh...I was specifically trying to avoid anything that could be used as an innuendo.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:52 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

There aim was probably using B to pay for the cameras to help reduce A.

Unfortunately the Government fell for the salesman's pitch and now we have cameras that have moved speeding drivers to other parts of the road.

I don't believe you can use speed cameras effectively unless you either have them everywhere covering all roads, or you have more mobile cameras that are easily moved.... which is where satellite tracking will come in - which is a whole new can of worms.
If the government really wanted to reduce speed, why don't they have speed restrictors on cars so they can't go above 70mph? if they did this and anyone was doing over 70mph they could then heavly punish them. If the truth be known most of the roads would be grid locked.

Last edited by britontour; Dec 30th 2005 at 4:54 pm.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Partystar
Because speed humps on a motorway would be a tad dangerous!!!
I've always wondered why they just don't limit civilian vehicles to the maximum legal speed?

If there's no excuse for speeding, why don't we do that?
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4570008.stm

The Presidnet authorised the NSA to conduct surveillance on US citizens without approval from a judge.
This worries me greatly.
Because IF they wanted to spy on someone with credible links to a terrorist organisation, no judge in the world would deny them that right.

I'd love to know who they were talking to, I'm thinking member of the DNC and other opponents of the GOP.
Because no judge would allow them to tap say.........Howard Deans' phone.

But maybe I am a cynic.
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Absolutely. And we (they) need all the tools we can use in detecting crime and legally bringing criminals to justice.

No you don't! We need a balance!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britontour
If the government really wanted to reduce speed, why don't they have speed restrictors on cars so they can't go above 70mph? if they did this and anyone was doing over 70mph they could then heavly punish them. If the truth be know most of the roads would be grid locked.
Snap!
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:54 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

A comprehensive cctv system removed my civil liberties but facilitated the conviction of the horrendous crime of an addict nicking a bag of sweets from a shop. Where's the balance here?
Hey, that's all you! I don't feel my civil liberties are being removed, being on CCTV doesn't bother me. This is just an instance that I saw, I'm sure it was used for bigger offenses. It's a shame they couldn't lock him up for longer, he died a year later from a bad heroin/heroin overdose.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

This worries me greatly.
Do you want your child raped or murdered by a terrorist! Why can't you trust your government to do the right thing in protecting you? It's for your own good, you know!
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want your child raped or murdered by a terrorist! Why can't you trust your government to do the right thing in protecting you? It's for your own good, you know!
If the government were serious about protecting us, then a decent universal health insurance scheme would come in handy.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:56 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Partystar
It's a shame they couldn't lock him up for longer, he died a year later from a bad heroin/heroin overdose.
Do you think society could or should have helped him in any other way? Or was it all his own fault anyway and he got what he deserved?
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:57 pm
Septicity

If the government were serious about protecting us, then a decent universal health insurance scheme would come in handy.

You're one of them friggin' commies, ain't you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.