Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:38 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Originally Posted by Manc
Indecent Exposure.
Yep.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Partystar
A friend told me that if you get caught having sex in a public place in Arizona, then you get put on the SOR.
Sex in a public place is illegal in the UK too if its somewhere any reasonable person would be offended by it. The difference is a UK copper is more likely to have a good laugh then send you off home to finish the job...
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:51 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Sex in a public place is illegal in the UK too if its somewhere any reasonable person would be offended by it. The difference is a UK copper is more likely to have a good laugh then send you off home to finish the job...
they wouldn't put you on the child molestation list either.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:51 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Or join in!!!
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
they wouldn't put you on the child molestation list either.
Nope. In general I feel the UK has a more....realistic..application of its laws than the US.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

Or join in!!!
Depends on whether the female was a minger or not.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How about a policeman using a telephone to pass information gleaned from watching a CCTV system onto a bobby on the street who then turns up and arrests the mugger who is currently kicking seven bells out of you in a shop doorway?
The police are going to have their tools. As Tone pointed out, we can't turn the clock back and these tools will become increasingly sophisticated. However, what the policeman can do with his tools is what concerns me. I would like strict and independent control of it.

Can the police use their tools to fight crime? Yes
Can the police use their tools to fight crime at the cost of my liberties? No

Specifically,
Can the police appeal to an independent authority for permission to infringe the civil liberties of someone whom they have strong evidence to suspect is committing a serious crime? Yes

Can the police infringe the civil liberties of anybody they fancy before they commit a serious crime merely to prevent them from so doing? No
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
In Florida ...if in doubt ...spray .....
I did that, now I'm the father of 23 children.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The police are going to have their tools. As Tone pointed out, we can't turn the clock back and these tools will become increasingly sophisticated. However, what the policeman can do with his tools is what concerns me. I would like strict and independent control of it.

Can the police use their tools to fight crime? Yes
Can the police use their tools to fight crime at the cost of my liberties? No
Difficult one because any application of tools to help detect and prevent crime will mean an intrusion of civil liberties to people to a degree....passports, driving licenses, car registration, birth records, marriage records, criminal intel databases, fingerprints, DNA gathering, CCTV are all examples where civil liberties are infringed simply by the gathering and monitoring of data. But the are all used succesfully to detect and prevent crime.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Specifically,
Can the police appeal to an independent authority for permission to infringe the civil liberties of someone whom they have strong evidence to suspect is committing a serious crime? Yes

Can the police infringe the civil liberties of anybody they fancy before they commit a serious crime merely to prevent them from so doing? No

I think you'll find that in the UK at least thats pretty much how it is...
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I did that, now I'm the father of 23 children.
CS is white and powdery. What you sprayed was not.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

This is what my SFIL (also a cop) gave my husband as a present this year. My hubby doesn't keep it in his car, but in the truck that I drive, I'm sure he did this on purpose. I've never had weapons before I moved here, I don't feel the need to have them here really, but my husbands family prefers that I do, but I completely refuse to own a gun. It would do more harm than good & I'd never forgive myself if my 18 month old son were to be harmed by it.

http://www.shoppingwarehouse.net/prod-23730.html
That's just the thing I want.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Difficult one because any application of tools to help detect and prevent crime will mean an intrusion of civil liberties to people to a degree....passports, driving licenses, car registration, birth records, marriage records, criminal intel databases, fingerprints, DNA gathering, CCTV are all examples where civil liberties are infringed simply by the gathering and monitoring of data. But the are all used succesfully to detect and prevent crime.
Depends what the information is and what kind of access people have to it. The government keeps records of your birth but I wouldn't consider that a violation of my liberties.

It will always be a trade off between what people are willing to give up and what protections that offers.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

That's just the thing I want.
Actually you want the 32" variety as we used to carry in Blighty. The 26" is way too short.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

Depends what the information is and what kind of access people have to it. The government keeps records of your birth but I wouldn't consider that a violation of my liberties.

It will always be a trade off between what people are willing to give up and what protections that offers.
But your birthday can be used as a piece of information to track you.

Its not the information thats the problem. Its the application that can be.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But your birthday can be used as a piece of information to track you.

Its not the information thats the problem. Its the application that can be.
Quite true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.