British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Big Ben (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/big-ben-344505/)

Rockgurl Dec 26th 2005 6:58 am

Big Ben

Is there a way to watch the New Year's Eve Big Ben chimes on the internet? The New Year just ain't the same without Big Ben....it's a bit of an anti-climax actually. I'd love to watch it live and grab some of the atmosphere.

yorkshire_lass Dec 26th 2005 10:52 am

Re: Big Ben

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Is there a way to watch the New Year's Eve Big Ben chimes on the internet? The New Year just ain't the same without Big Ben....it's a bit of an anti-climax actually. I'd love to watch it live and grab some of the atmosphere.

Hope someone comes up with an answer, would like to see that myself. I have mostly got over the frequent homesickness but this was my first Christmas away from family and the UK, and to be frank, it sucked..... :(

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 26th 2005 12:33 pm

Only trouble is it'd be like "BOING...Happy New year....oh its only 7pm"

TruBrit Dec 26th 2005 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

:D :D Hey AWP duno why but that made me laugh..lol :D

aboding Dec 26th 2005 3:34 pm

Don't know of anywhere that you can here Big Ben but you can see it live at

http://www.camvista.com/england/london/bigben.php3

Its not very clear but you can also see more live web cams of London

Rockgurl Dec 26th 2005 5:47 pm

I know! But really I'd rather celebrate it at 7pm the British way and then again with the anti-climatic American way at midnight. The first chime of Big Ben always brings a tear to my eye.

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 26th 2005 5:54 pm

I know! But really I'd rather celebrate it at 7pm the British way and then again with the anti-climatic American way at midnight. The first chime of Big Ben always brings a tear to my eye.

It did mine too when I got my fingers caught in a model of it one drunken news year eve.

But I know what you mean. If it'll help Ill come on here and type BOING really loudly at midnight next saturday.

Patrick Dec 26th 2005 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
:D :D Hey AWP duno why but that made me laugh..lol :D

Houston has sucked all the intelligence out of you!

Last year one of the cable news channels was going country by country on the hour. 5pm was something like Helsinki, 6pm was Berlin, 7pm was London etc. etc... Dont know whether they are going to do it again (not that I can remember if it was MSNBC, Faux News or CNN)

TouristTrap Dec 26th 2005 7:45 pm

It did mine too when I got my fingers caught in a model of it one drunken news year eve.

Details please. :D :D

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 26th 2005 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick

Thanks.

TruBrit Dec 26th 2005 9:37 pm

[QUOTE=Patrick]Houston has sucked all the intelligence out of you!

Hey you are so right there...don't take much to make me :) Hopefully I'll improve :rolleyes:

CaliforniaBride Dec 27th 2005 2:00 am

With this.... you can do both!

Lord Lionheart Dec 27th 2005 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Patrick

Last year one of the cable news channels was going country by country on the hour. 5pm was something like Helsinki, 6pm was Berlin, 7pm was London etc. etc... Dont know whether they are going to do it again (not that I can remember if it was MSNBC, Faux News or CNN)

they usually go around the world at new year on tv or simply print this out and place one of those little jingle bells in side before assembling it. give it a shake at 7pm est.... nearly as good

ukemigrant Dec 27th 2005 10:59 am

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass
Hope someone comes up with an answer, would like to see that myself. I have mostly got over the frequent homesickness but this was my first Christmas away from family and the UK, and to be frank, it sucked..... :(

Hehehe I thought you were posting about the Steelers quarterback :) Here we go Pittsburgh!

TN-Dave Dec 27th 2005 12:24 pm

But I know what you mean. If it'll help Ill come on here and type BOING really loudly at midnight next saturday.

I hope you are going to remember to do that for every time zone ?

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 27th 2005 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by izibear
Details please. :D :D

It wasnt pretty I can assure you.

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 27th 2005 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
I hope you are going to remember to do that for every time zone ?

Oh aye. I'll be on for 24 hours straight typing BOING on the hour every hour.

TN-Dave Dec 27th 2005 1:21 pm

Oh aye. I'll be on for 24 hours straight typing BOING on the hour every hour.

LOLOL..... I remember before I moved here I celebrated New Years about 8 times throughout the night when different friends from across the country called me back in the UK..... I was still celbrating New Year at 8am in the UK ! :D

HappyHammer Dec 27th 2005 3:25 pm

Don't know about Big Ben, but Big Jack is on one of those naughty adult channels around 11:30 PM---------------------- er.. so I hear !! HNY to all :beer: :beer: :beer:

TN-Dave Dec 30th 2005 7:13 pm

1 Attachment(s)

How about this ? After whoever it was pasted the link... I got bored at work one lunch time..... LOL