Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bf permanent resident trying to get citizenship ..

Bf permanent resident trying to get citizenship ..

Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Cocolina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bf permanent resident trying to get citizenship ..

Hi ! Maybe you can give me some help with this one as well.
My bf is a Haitian citizen and he's living in the U.S. for more than 10 yrs...He has his permanent resident status for more than 5 years and lately applied for citizenship . Problem number 1 : He lost his Green card !!! but has the number of it on the passport so he could travel back to his country , and sent a letter to INS for about 1 year now to give him a new one ...Do you have any idea how long he has to ...still wait for it ? And will that influence the citizenship process ? And how long he has to wait to become a U.S. citizen ...INS offoicer told him about the History and U.S Goverment test he has to take..but no date for it .He's trying his best so we can be together, but ...

I met him in the U.S ..2001 , I came back for my uni and return for the summer of 2002 ..we really love each other ...How can he help me so we can be together consider the legal process and having in mind that his current status is : Permanent Resident for more than 5 yrs .

I also applied and got my credits transfered in a US college..but instead of applying for a student visa, I decided to apply again for a J1 visa and change status there, once in the U.S. The move wasn't that smart as the US Embassy decided not to give that many visas this year - many students never came back from US, so that's explane everything. My question is : Once I get a rejection ( I try to prepare myself for everything ) for the J1 what chances to I have to actually get a student visa ? And what papers I have to show them except the I-20 issued by the college . The school sent me a letter and on July 23rd I have to be there for the orientation . I so want to study there , it's a very good college and they put me on the papers for 2 yrs ...but I don't know if I can make it .

Please help if you can . Thank you !
Old Jun 13th 2003, 11:35 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bf permanent resident trying to get citizenship ..

Originally posted by Cocolina
Hi ! Maybe you can give me some help with this one as well.
My bf is a Haitian citizen and he's living in the U.S. for more than 10 yrs...He has his permanent resident status for more than 5 years and lately applied for citizenship . Problem number 1 : He lost his Green card !!! but has the number of it on the passport so he could travel back to his country , and sent a letter to INS for about 1 year now to give him a new one ...Do you have any idea how long he has to ...still wait for it ? And will that influence the citizenship process ? And how long he has to wait to become a U.S. citizen ...INS offoicer told him about the History and U.S Goverment test he has to take..but no date for it .He's trying his best so we can be together, but ...

I met him in the U.S ..2001 , I came back for my uni and return for the summer of 2002 ..we really love each other ...How can he help me so we can be together consider the legal process and having in mind that his current status is : Permanent Resident for more than 5 yrs .

I also applied and got my credits transfered in a US college..but instead of applying for a student visa, I decided to apply again for a J1 visa and change status there, once in the U.S. The move wasn't that smart as the US Embassy decided not to give that many visas this year - many students never came back from US, so that's explane everything. My question is : Once I get a rejection ( I try to prepare myself for everything ) for the J1 what chances to I have to actually get a student visa ? And what papers I have to show them except the I-20 issued by the college . The school sent me a letter and on July 23rd I have to be there for the orientation . I so want to study there , it's a very good college and they put me on the papers for 2 yrs ...but I don't know if I can make it .

Please help if you can . Thank you !
Boy your a sucker for pain,
Ok, your boyfriend should have applied for a letter of transportation from your nearest consulate ( for he's return back to US without the lost green card),and informed the INS the moment he left the US.

1st problem: whilst in possesion of greencard as in not a US citizen yet, you cannot leave the US beyond 1 year. You say its been over a year since he wrote to INS, did he keep a copy of the letter !!. Also when he wrote to INS did he submit he's "A" number on the letter.
The reason I ask, is after 1 year of being out the US he will lose he's right to permenant residence.
Thats probably why he's not recieved a reply from INS - he's timed out.

With regard to yourself, you should have applied for the student visa in the 1st place. As I replied in my other post, you will be looked at with some reservation, as you've admited you overstayed on your work and travel visa. Now applying for a student visa, will look like your trying to get in through the backdoor so to speak.

Good Luck, I think your going to need it - mark
Old Jun 14th 2003, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Cocolina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mark ! Thanks for your reply...well my bf is in the U.S. He only left for a 2 weeks Christmas vacation in Haiti...They entered his A number in a machine to make sure he actually is A resident..So, he is there and he can travel like that ... Now he went to INS office and the officer sent a " note " he said to Vermont to speed up his citizenship process consider that he's a resident for so long now ...
So, how if he's coming to my country ( Romania ) and we get married ..What chances do I have to return in the U.S with him as long as he is not yet a citizen .
I didn't apply for a student visa because they usually reject you on that , so I thought this way is less risky ...So now , I don't know ...I might be late..if they deny my J1 visa...deny me on F1 visa..then Jesus, will I ever be able to get back there ? :scared:
Thx again for your reply !