Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beware: lots of Americanisms in this question

Beware: lots of Americanisms in this question

Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beware: lots of Americanisms in this question

What's the scoop on being a naturalized US citizen and getting health care in the UK?
I'm planning to split my time in both the US and England after I retire. So, having gotten a little tight-fisted and greedy in my old age, I want to know if I can get free health care when in England. I had only paid into the system for 4 years (between ages 17 and 21) before immigating here.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware: lots of Americanisms in this question

Originally Posted by Jensmate
What's the scoop on being a naturalized US citizen and getting health care in the UK?
I'm planning to split my time in both the US and England after I retire. So, having gotten a little tight-fisted and greedy in my old age, I want to know if I can get free health care when in England. I had only paid into the system for 4 years (between ages 17 and 21) before immigating here.
Eligibility for free health care in the UK is, I believe, currently still based on residence.

So, to be eligible, you would have to return to the UK, establish residence there and maintain that residence while you "visited" the US.

See: Eligibility for free hospital treatment under the NHS

Last edited by md95065; Dec 27th 2008 at 3:43 am.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware: lots of Americanisms in this question

I believe the above to be correct. You're only entitled to free emergency care.