Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it a better life?

Is it a better life?

Old Sep 2nd 2019, 1:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a better life?

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I'm not well informed regarding Visa requirements, but aren't L1 temporary, six years. How does one become a permanent resident?
The company applies for a GC.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The company applies for a GC.
I've learnt from experience, not to rely much on ones employer.
Visa requirements have changed since I came to the USA. I've had a good life in the US, but so have my family and my contemporary's back in the UK.
No two people feel the same, just read moving back to the UK posts. Impossible to say what's a better life for any one person.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazybrit
Multiple articles showing discrimination against people of my origin and how they dont make it to the top positions in Britain and nothing has improved for the past 30 years.
Look at the US the heads of Google, Adobe and other top MNCs are foreign born ethnic minority professionals. Would never imagine such a thing happening in the UK. Here merit is the only thing that matters.
Whilst not explicitly "foreign born", both the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Mayor of London were born to Pakistani bus drivers, whilst the Home Secretary was born to Ugandian-Indians.

All three are second generation immigrants, and there is at least one other member of the Cabinet who was born to Ugandan immigrants.

I can't speak to your personal experiences, but I look at some of the media rhetoric against ethnic minority politicians here in the US and I actually feel damn proud that you can get a fair crack of the whip in the UK, and that being Black or Asian is no barrier to holding the highest offices in the land.

I know that the UK hasn't always been such a tolerant place and I know that there are still idiots who hold prejudiced and racist views, but the UK has come a long, long way in my lifetime and notwithstanding the dinosaurs and idiots, it's one of the best countries in the world to be a minority regardless of your color or your sexuality.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 2:07 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Whilst not explicitly "foreign born", both the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Mayor of London were born to Pakistani bus drivers, whilst the Home Secretary was born to Ugandian-Indians.

All three are second generation immigrants, and there is at least one other member of the Cabinet who was born to Ugandan immigrants.

I can't speak to your personal experiences, but I look at some of the media rhetoric against ethnic minority politicians here in the US and I actually feel damn proud that you can get a fair crack of the whip in the UK, and that being Black or Asian is no barrier to holding the highest offices in the land.

I know that the UK hasn't always been such a tolerant place and I know that there are still idiots who hold prejudiced and racist views, but the UK has come a long, long way in my lifetime and notwithstanding the dinosaurs and idiots, it's one of the best countries in the world to be a minority regardless of your color or your sexuality.
ask your kids. This is white privilege speaking. "I can't speak to your personal experiences" exactly.
Crazybrit, good luck to you.

Old Sep 12th 2019, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta remember the UK empire raped the minority world of its wealth and liberties for centuries and that white privilege is still endemic in UK society today.

Very glad to be in the US I see every creed and colour in top finance, tech and healthcare positions here. Not been called p&ki once here in the UK happened almost every day to someone in my family.

From my experience UK is not a place for minorities. The country historically has a terrible track record for what they did in other countries and the way racism is endemic in society today there is a disgrace.
I am happy to hear that your experience has been a positive one but it sounds like you mix with professionals in the upper middle class echelons, I think that if you were to leave the cosmopolitan, ethnically diverse, centres things might appear differently. There is an undercurrent in the rural areas where they might be nice as pie to your face but when in their little whites-only enclaves some of the chit chat is deplorable. The white empire attitudes are as strong here as ever they were in Europe.
Sure the racism is more overt in the UK, I haven't been called by my childhood nickname of Ghandhi in a long time but white racist asshole kids are never as subtle as adults and as an outdoor worker, in Britain and Florida, an all year round tan is expected of even the most lily white skin types.
I think a lot depends upon the area in which you live, people tend to be far more accepting of each other when they live and work in etnically diverse areas.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but totally disagree given you are likely white it's easy to make favourable general observations but given me and my family were victims of overt racism right up until we left I can judge from the other side and it's definitely not one of the best countries to be a minority and I speak as a minority!

As an example the NHS has had to admit several times its institutionally racist. Studies have shown in the UK if you have a minority name less likely to have your CV shortlisted than an identical white CV. Pathetic

Gotta remember the UK empire raped the minority world of its wealth and liberties for centuries and that white privilege is still endemic in UK society today.

Very glad to be in the US I see every creed and colour in top finance, tech and healthcare positions here. Not been called p&ki once here in the UK happened almost every day to someone in my family. Spot the difference. In the Uk you never see the diversity in centers of academic excellence that you do in the US. Quite simply in the US merit counts, in the UK skin colour plays a large part.

From my experience UK is not a place for minorities. The country historically has a terrible track record for what they did in other countries and the way racism is endemic in society today there is a disgrace.
I doubt it's any better in the US. The only difference for you now, is that nobody really knows what p*ki means and you would fall under such a small minority, that nobody would even notice you.
It only really starts when a small minority grows and people suddenly notice you. If you were African-American, you wouldn't say the US is better. Being white does not mean that you'll never be a victim of racism either. You just have to ask many Polish people in the US and they can tell you about the Anti-Polish sentiment. Go to Africa and you will find that Albino hunting is very common, so people are killed because they look different. Try entering Angola as a Nigerian. Look at the Turks and Greeks. There are so many examples of racism and skin color alone is just a very small percentage. You can even feel racism just because you have a football jersey on.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
ask your kids. This is white privilege speaking. "I can't speak to your personal experiences" exactly.
Get in the sea with that "check your privilege" nonsense.

I told him that I can't speak to the fact that someone called him racist names 30 years ago because I wasn't there, before further acknowledging that yes, there are indeed still a minority of racist and bigoted people in the UK even today.

I stand by my claim that in spite of that, the UK is still - today at any rate - one of the better places in the world to be a racial or sexual minority. I don't think it is utterly impossible for racial minorities to succeed - Her Majesty's Government is evidence enough that this is not the case.

Is the UK better than it was 30 years ago? Yes.
Do we need to do more? Yes.
Should we rest on our laurels? No.

I'm not sure what more you want from me - do you disagree that the UK is not vastly, hugely improved from where it was 30 years ago? Do you really believe that "nothing has improved in the last 30 years"?

That's utter nonsense and we all know it.

The UK is a far cry from a land of milk and honey but come on, I'm not as blinkered as you are trying to paint me and I don't need to be Black, Asian or LGBT to recognize the despite the vast changes that have taken place in recent decades, or the fact that there's still more to do in spite of it all.

Last edited by TexanScot; Sep 12th 2019 at 5:21 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let everyone know, and save time being wasted replying...crazybrit has left the room.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 9:11 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents live part of the year in Old Naples (yes, it's really called that). I've been going there for about 15 years, my impressions:
1. It's really hot there in the summer but heavenly in late October and mid-March.
2. It's full of rich, old white people who only live there part of the year, like my parents for example. These people are generally type-A personalities who have retired from type-A careers and now have nothing to worry about except the fact that their damned neighbor's driveway being insufficiently sealed, a matter they will certainly bring up passive-aggressively in the next HOA meeting.
3. There is a large number of thriving businesses in Naples that cater to the needs of old, white, rich people. Law firms, investment management firms, fancy doctors, people with advanced degrees in golf course maintenance, Pilates instructors who charge $200 a session etc.
4. The beaches and sunsets are undeniably world class.
5. Pretty good schools for the children of doctors and wealth managers. Surprisingly good parks, playgrounds, pools etc as well. A large tax base and a small number of children helps here.
6. There's a huge, distinctly creepy swamp directly to the east that no one goes to, despite it being one of the most amazing ecosystems (real, live alligators are literally swarming there) on the planet.
7. There's not a lot to do if you don't like golf, tennis, buying Fendi bags, getting plastered on free samples at Total Wine or sitting inside in air conditioning and watching Fox News.
8. Reasonably good restaurants, some very good. Lots of places that will sell you a $79 steak that may in fact be worth $79. Some fun dives if you know where to look.
9. RSW is one of the best airports in the US. No frills, but incredibly efficient and easy to deal with.

Last edited by Hiro11; Sep 14th 2019 at 9:15 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
My parents live part of the year in Old Naples (yes, it's really called that). I've been going there for about 15 years, my impressions:

2. It's full of rich, old white people who only live there part of the year, like my parents for example. These people are generally type-A personalities who have retired from type-A careers and now have nothing to worry about except the fact that their damned neighbor's driveway being insufficiently sealed, a matter they will certainly bring up passive-aggressively in the next HOA meeting.
This has long been the stereotype of Florida retirees. Not without justification.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
This has long been the stereotype of Florida retirees. Not without justification.
Those part-time Neapolitans are a different class to those we get just a smidge further up the coast. We get the local ones who live on the delipidated parks and do their best to give Floridaman a run for his money - running around naked or shooting each other come to mind!
Old Sep 15th 2019, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Those part-time Neapolitans are a different class to those we get just a smidge further up the coast. We get the local ones who live on the delipidated parks and do their best to give Floridaman a run for his money - running around naked or shooting each other come to mind!
Have you ever witnessed some of them arguing about how much to tip at a restaurant? Feral.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carcajou
Have you ever witnessed some of them arguing about how much to tip at a restaurant? Feral.
That's more a Snowbird trait, the locals that have retired to the dire parks don't have two nickels to rub together, let alone go out to anything posher than the drive-thru!

And yes, I have, that and kicking up stink because their well done steak doesn't have the texture of my work boots.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
1. It's really hot there in the summer but heavenly in late October and mid-March.
3. There is a large number of thriving businesses in Naples that cater to the needs of old, white, rich people. Law firms, investment management firms, fancy doctors, people with advanced degrees in golf course maintenance, Pilates instructors who charge $200 a session etc.
4. The beaches and sunsets are undeniably world class.
5. Pretty good schools for the children of doctors and wealth managers. Surprisingly good parks, playgrounds, pools etc as well. A large tax base and a small number of children helps here.
6. There's a huge, distinctly creepy swamp directly to the east that no one goes to, despite it being one of the most amazing ecosystems (real, live alligators are literally swarming there) on the planet.
7. There's not a lot to do if you don't like golf, tennis, buying Fendi bags, getting plastered on free samples at Total Wine or sitting inside in air conditioning and watching Fox News.
8. Reasonably good restaurants, some very good. Lots of places that will sell you a $79 steak that may in fact be worth $79. Some fun dives if you know where to look.
9. RSW is one of the best airports in the US. No frills, but incredibly efficient and easy to deal with.
So Hiro11 is really Jerry Seinfeld!!
Old Oct 29th 2019, 7:56 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

She was told that Naples, FL is like Bournemouth! OMG.