Reload this Page >

Is it a better life?

Is it a better life?

Old Aug 21st 2019, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Luis22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it a better life?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

If he’s paying 60% in deductions then something’s wrong, it shouldn’t be anywhere near that. And you said he’s earning under £100k, so should be averaging out at under 40%. Whatever he’s earning it’s definitely a heck of a lot more than those without employment.
Also, I said lifestyle. Although we put away for retirement, property and savings, that’s kind of becoming not the thing to do anymore. Off topic now though
Old Aug 21st 2019, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luis22

Also, I said lifestyle. Although we put away for retirement, property and savings, that’s kind of becoming not the thing to do anymore. Off topic now though
You said ‘60% tax bracket’. Which doesn’t exist! People were just correcting that for the sake of anybody reading.

Things like the bonus you haven’t mentioned before and how much you’re able to save in the UK are on topic, as that will make a big difference when comparing the salary on offer in the US to his U.K. one. Will he get a bonus in the US too and if so, fir the same amount or higher/lower?
Old Aug 21st 2019, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If he’s paying 60% in deductions then something’s wrong, it shouldn’t be anywhere near that.
I think they are possibly talking about marginal rate rather than tax brackets, which would make sense.

Either way they are still substantially better off than the guy down the road on benefits!
Old Aug 21st 2019, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Luis22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you’re getting confused with what I’ve said on each reply to different people and getting yourself all worked up. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 9:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Although my husband earns a very good wage here, we are living the same lifestyles as people not working as he is taxed so much and I am no longer working.

Sorry Luis, I'm not directing this at you personally but I see these types of statements so often, and so many people seem to believe it, that I just wanted to post this.

With very few exceptions, the amount people can receive in benefits is now capped. For areas outside Greater London the most a couple with children can receive is £20,000 per annum, inside Greater London it's £23,000. The cap encompasses all of the below:
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widow’s Pension if you started getting it before 9 April 2001)
  • Universal Credit
People who are out of work struggle to meet theirs and their kids' basic needs on that, let alone have anything left for savings, property and retirement! Believe me, the fact that your husband is earning a decent wage means your lifestyle is MUCH better than that.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 21st 2019 at 9:20 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 9:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think you’re getting confused with what I’ve said on each reply to different people and getting yourself all worked up. Thanks everyone for your help.
Not sure who you’re directing this to, but I don’t see anybody getting ‘worked up’. People are just politely trying to correct your statements about being no better off than those without any jobs and taxes.

It helps everybody if we keep info on the forum as accurate as possible for the sake of anybody reading in the future, but also helps you so that you can accurately work out comparisons with a potential income and life in the US.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You cannot compare Texas to GA, TN, FL, AL.

It's a whole other beast and a different sort of heat. The couple of times I've been to TX I've really enjoyed the dry heat, it's the humidity that's the killer.

I do agree it's a matter of perspective though. I came from Somerset, so we got decent weather already.

I guess you haven't visited the Houston/Galveston area. The humidity here is constant almost year round. After 30 years of coping with fierce heat and humidity I'm done with it. I need somewhere with at least 2 seasons!
Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and regarding the OPs question about working, your OH will most likely be on an L visa as he is transferring, which will mean that you will be able to work. However, his L visa is tied to his job. If he gets fired, it's back home you go immediately. He cannot work for another company on that visa. Also the visa is only valid for 5 years. This is why people have mentioned that he needs to have an agreement for his employer to start the greencard process (permanent residency) immediately. This is because it takes a couple of years at least to go through that process. And note that companies that apply for greencards for their staff drag out the process as long as possible and often add clauses in to the contracts such as if you leave within a year of getting the GC, you will need to pay back all the costs, which can be significant (think in the region of $15-20k).

The response here has been overwhelmingly negative. But since you're not coming into this with glassy eyed enthusiasm, you should not be too shocked. I really do feel that many people move over here with such high hopes and are seriously disappointed: the costs, the culture, the me-me-meeeee attitude, the healthcare system, the abject poverty, the shallowness and focus on appearance, terrible state of education, the traffic, the lack of public transport, complete disregard for the environment ....I could go on but you get the idea).

I am one of those people and am plotting to leave (been here 5 years, in California). I would never consider Florida (the humidity, the rednecks, the conservatism, the religious nuts, the cliche...) or any other state to be honest and I would certainly never have considered a move if I had school age children. I often think those who move here with a US spouse fare better because they usually have a support network and might be able to navigate the culture better. There are good things about living in the US. As I mentioned, the nature is stunning and they take great care of their natural monuments, weather is fabulous (here in coastal CA), brilliant sports facilities if you're outdoorsy, great career opportunities in certain fields, such as tech, biotech, research etc, and the ability to get whatever you want, when you want (as long as you throw enough money at it). But that alone does not cover up the massive glaring gaps for what I want out of my life...
Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

so, aside from Sherbet hating everything about the USA and TexanScot not missing his Scottish all year winter ( which I totally agree with having lived near Glasgow for 8 wet years) , plenty of people do move to the USA and stay. I work with people doing it and here are things that i think you should check out...
Some points:
1. Check OH's salary on glassdoor or just google whatever he does + salary and see what comes up. Most people I know would not accept a first salary offer and would expect to negotiate. Check out commission levels/bonuses etc.
2.Housing is going to be your single biggest expense and in Florida ( like most of the USA, you really, really need to live in a good school district and the houses are always more expensive there. Otherwise, you're going to want to think about private schooling. Check out greatschools.org and look for schools with an 8+ score. Then look on zillow.com for houses in that school district and see what kind of prices they are, whether to rent or buy.
3.go online to a florida grocery store - someone will perhaps kindly tell you what they're called- and do a normal weekly grocery shop to see what it will actually cost you.
4. Go to gasbuddy.com and find out how much petrol costs. You will use probably double what you do in the UK since you will drive everywhere.
5 Double your current car insurance quotes. Petrol's cheaper but insurance most definitely isn't and you will pay through the nose when you first get here.
6. Cars - go to those nice people at International Auto Source ( ?IAS.com) and get a quote for a lease car. They are slightly more on the pricey side but not much. Forget about looking online and thinking you will get a really great cheap lease for 0% etc. Those are for people with great credit which you won't have for at least a year. Go to carvana.com and take a look at the cost of 2nd hand cars. Carvana is not far off the mark for a car you can trust.
7.Kids activities cost way more here for some reason..
8. Aircon, oh crikey. I live in Austin where it's been over 100F and dry heat for the last month. I don't even want to think about the bill. At least here I will switch it off between end of October and end of March. Florida, it's year round.
9. Healthcare - you'll just have to ask about what plans the company has and how much it costs you. With young kids - I'd go for the one where you'll probably pay more on the premiums and have lower out of pocket expenses/co-pays. Young kids pick up everything going in the first year so just having to pay $20 per visit to the GP is a stress reliever.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
so, aside from Sherbet hating everything about the USA

Wait what...did you conveniently forget this *entire* paragraph. Tsk Tsk:

There are good things about living in the US. As I mentioned, the nature is stunning and they take great care of their natural monuments, weather is fabulous (here in coastal CA), brilliant sports facilities if you're outdoorsy, great career opportunities in certain fields, such as tech, biotech, research etc, and the ability to get whatever you want, when you want (as long as you throw enough money at it).

There are lots more good things but for me the bad points outweigh the good. It's also the area that I live in with its $150,000 a year = poverty wages, $8 lattes, tw@ts in teslas, $3,500 a month for a studio that hasn't been fit for human habitation since 1975 etc which make the quality of life here so low. Yes I've lived elsewhere, yes it was better, but at this point, I need to leave the US.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That’s three more reasons not to go!!
They don't have spiders in the UK?
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That’s three more reasons not to go!!
I forgot to mention snakes.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
They do but most of them aren't evil bitey bastards
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 12:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rete
Not poisonous ones thankfully! My irrational hatred of them is bad enough, if they were poisonous I’d really be in trouble.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 1:59 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

in the last week I've seen a water moccasin fly through the water in the townlake in Austin. The lake that I row on. The lake that I capsized in a few weeks back. Our coach then told us about the time one tried to get into the rowing boat. Noooooo!

My next door neighbour has seen a coral snake in her yard 2x in the last few weeks. I no longer walk around the garden in my barefeet. Shall we talk about the Texas cockroaches????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.