Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it better to apply for an ITIN online or visiting the actual building?

Is it better to apply for an ITIN online or visiting the actual building?

Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

soontobereleased is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it better to apply for an ITIN online or visiting the actual building?

When I applied for an ITIN, I used the online method, unfortunately I was sent on a wild goose chase through one of the UK embassies for the IRS - I was referred to a non-existent character! What is the best method for obtaining my ITIN/SSN while I am still in England? Is it still possible to open a US bank account via proxy (in the UK) so I am not caught out when I move there?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it better to apply for an ITIN online or visiting the actual building?

Originally Posted by soontobereleased
When I applied for an ITIN, I used the online method, unfortunately I was sent on a wild goose chase through one of the UK embassies for the IRS - I was referred to a non-existent character! What is the best method for obtaining my ITIN/SSN while I am still in England? Is it still possible to open a US bank account via proxy (in the UK) so I am not caught out when I move there?
Are you a USC?

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it better to apply for an ITIN online or visiting the actual building?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you a USC?

Rene
I just read your posts in the Welcome Inn forum. It sounds like you're only going to be a visitor in the USA, on a B-2 visa, is that correct? If you are NOT a USC, and you'll only be a visitor in the USA (either using the VWP or a B-2 visa), then you cannot get a SSN.

I'm not sure about the ITIN, I've only ever heard of one being applied for at the time of filing a tax return (i.e., you can't just randomly file for one any other time of year). As a visitor to the USA, I don't know if you qualify for an ITIN either.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:09 pm

Regarding the bank account, you might be able to open an account in the USA without being present, you'll have to shop around for a bank that might do this. You might have to open an account with a bank in the UK which has branches in the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to be equating the ITIN and the SSN, but the requirements for eligibility, the government entities that issue the two, and the methods of applying are quite different.

As to the ITIN, are you a US income tax payer? In any even, start here:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information

Regards, JEff

What is the best method for obtaining my ITIN/SSN while I am still in England?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:24 pm

What visa are you obtaining to move to the USA? Your other thread only suggests a B-2 visa.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

sinbad2222 is a jewel in the roughsinbad2222 is a jewel in the roughsinbad2222 is a jewel in the roughsinbad2222 is a jewel in the rough

HSBC will open a US account for you if you have a UK account.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I just read your posts in the Welcome Inn forum. It sounds like you're only going to be a visitor in the USA, on a B-2 visa, is that correct? If you are NOT a USC, and you'll only be a visitor in the USA (either using the VWP or a B-2 visa), then you cannot get a SSN.

I'm not sure about the ITIN, I've only ever heard of one being applied for at the time of filing a tax return (i.e., you can't just randomly file for one any other time of year). As a visitor to the USA, I don't know if you qualify for an ITIN either.

Rene
The post in the Welcome Inn told us nothing, and neither does this one.

My assumption, since the OP fails to provide any facts, is that he is under the belief he can move to the US earn his living in the US by flipping houses irrespective of his immigration status. Obviously, this is a train wreck waiting to happen.

To answer his question, however, he can apply for a social security number if he qualifies. A US citizen would qualify, for example, whereas a VWP or B-visa holder would not. If he fails to tell us his status, it becomes increasingly difficult to provide answers without strings of if sentences. In certain circumstances, an alien can apply for an ITIN in cases where they do not qualify for a SSN. This is common, for example, with people who let their US holiday property. The ITIN can only be applied for when filing a tax return.

He the goes on to ask about bank accounts. Presumably he mistakenly believes he needs an SSN or ITIN to open an account. The answer is that yes, it is possible to open an account from abroad, though difficult. I can't be arsed to give him the details though because he can't be arsed to provide any facts.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinbad2222
HSBC will open a US account for you if you have a UK account.
Be as useful as a chocolate teapot in Arkansas.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
He the goes on to ask about bank accounts. Presumably he mistakenly believes he needs an SSN or ITIN to open an account. The answer is that yes, it is possible to open an account from abroad, though difficult. I can't be arsed to give him the details though because he can't be arsed to provide any facts.
There's also been numerous threads asking this question, with a few recommendations, but they kind of all depend on the personal situation. Like you say, having one bank might not help if they don't have a branch within a thousand miles of where you'll be, or if they require a 100K balance :/