British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bet this will get a response! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bet-will-get-response-196866/)

Poshpaws Dec 15th 2003 4:22 am

Bet this will get a response!

How shall I put this then? Subjects worthy of further discussion seem to be almost ignored, unless they are of a tawdry nature.

I digress, my question is....how many of you, in your day to day lives use the verbage you use here? I like a joke as much as the rest of you. However, some of the language used here I doubt is used in day to day life...unless you like job hopping. It almost seems like a contest at times...especially between the men.

I doubt very much, if we were face to face, many of you would talk like you do. Now I shall recline in my rocker, knitting needles in hand ( to stab you) whilst you blast me with your adjectives. *S*

Manc Dec 15th 2003 1:17 pm

I am a shy reserved teddybear in real life.

dunroving Dec 15th 2003 3:01 pm

Re: Bet this will get a response!

Originally posted by Poshpaws
How shall I put this then? Subjects worthy of further discussion seem to be almost ignored, unless they are of a tawdry nature.

I digress, my question is....how many of you, in your day to day lives use the verbage you use here? I like a joke as much as the rest of you. However, some of the language used here I doubt is used in day to day life...unless you like job hopping. It almost seems like a contest at times...especially between the men.

I doubt very much, if we were face to face, many of you would talk like you do. Now I shall recline in my rocker, knitting needles in hand ( to stab you) whilst you blast me with your adjectives. *S*
I don't use any different language here than in real life. I'm probably more argumentative here, because I don't face as broad a set of viewpoints in real life as I do here. Also, being in academia, sometimes I feel like screaming "Just tell me what you think!" I don't have that problem here; people are not backward in coming forward. The language and forthrightness I find here is more typical of what you find in the UK, and I find it refreshing.

BUT it ticks me off when someone refuses to agree to disagree. Many of the discussions revolve around points of view, and so there's not an obviously "right" answer. It's interesting to exchange points of view, but now and again a thread gets spoilt because people get abusive just because someone disagrees with them.

BrigieDarling Dec 15th 2003 4:43 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
I am a shy reserved teddybear in real life.
Yarite!!!

I saw the "Blah" comment!
:rolleyes:

dudleydowg Dec 15th 2003 5:03 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dunroving
I. Also, being in academia, sometimes I feel like screaming "Just tell me what you think!" I don't have that problem here; people are not backward in coming forward. The language and forthrightness I find here is more typical of what you find in the UK, and I find it refreshing.

Being in Academia? I thought you were in Greenville:)

dunroving Dec 15th 2003 9:07 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dudleydowg

Originally posted by dunroving
I. Also, being in academia, sometimes I feel like screaming "Just tell me what you think!" I don't have that problem here; people are not backward in coming forward. The language and forthrightness I find here is more typical of what you find in the UK, and I find it refreshing.

Being in Academia? I thought you were in Greenville:)
Hold on, after that I really need a :beer: - OK, now I feel better.

Webbie Dec 15th 2003 9:16 pm

That it what I love about the web.

Level playing field and no bias (well at first !)
Doesn't matter how old you are, what sex, what you look like, what your status is or where you live.

If we all met or could see each other we would be judged on appearance, accent and education.
Don't say you wouldn't because you would ! It's in our nature.

Pulaski Dec 16th 2003 2:33 am

Originally posted by dunroving ..... I don't have that problem here; people are not backward in coming forward. ....
Except, of course, Patrick who is is something of a shy wallflower! :D

scotch03 Dec 16th 2003 3:35 am

I rarely express my true feelings.

Patrick Dec 16th 2003 5:19 pm

I was in the army for 12 years, swore like a trooper. At University for 4, swore like a trooper, worked for Nokia for 4 years, swore like a trooper (except when I felt it inappropriate), swear every hour of every day - if you don't like it then it is your problem not mine because they are only words.

Patrick

PS tit, ****, wank

Lion in Winter Dec 16th 2003 6:39 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
I was in the army for 12 years, swore like a trooper. At University for 4, swore like a trooper, worked for Nokia for 4 years, swore like a trooper (except when I felt it inappropriate), swear every hour of every day - if you don't like it then it is your problem not mine because they are only words.

Patrick

PS tit, ****, wank

And they say us Brits are repressed! Also it's so much cheaper than paying a therapist $150 an hour to work out one's feelings, like they do here. You just carry on doing your thing. It's how you treat your fellow human being that matters I say, not your vocabulary. :lecture: and:beer:

Yosser Dec 16th 2003 7:31 pm

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
And they say us Brits are repressed! Also it's so much cheaper than paying a therapist $150 an hour to work out one's feelings, like they do here. You just carry on doing your thing. It's how you treat your fellow human being that matters I say, not your vocabulary. :lecture: and:beer:
Amen to that, the slightest bit of stress and the average yank will go to a therapist, us Brits make do with a dozen ale's a piss in the allyway and a fight with the telephone box to relieve ones stress!

Lion in Winter Dec 16th 2003 7:48 pm

Originally posted by Yosser
Amen to that, the slightest bit of stress and the average yank will go to a therapist, us Brits make do with a dozen ale's a piss in the allyway and a fight with the telephone box to relieve ones stress!
Although the new telephone boxes just aren't the same.

BrigieDarling Dec 17th 2003 12:40 pm

Wait, you forgot to puke on your shoes!;)

NC Penguin Dec 17th 2003 4:54 pm

Either way is better than beating one's spouse or swearing at the kids!

NC Penguin