Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bet on the coldest place in the US

Bet on the coldest place in the US

Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:53 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Bet on the coldest place in the US

A thought occurred to me this evening after the brutal onslaught of 'rubbing it in" by our Florida members.(You know who you are)

I thought it would be fun if everyone bet $1 for every degree in tempreture difference between their town and the coldest town at the end of winter. Coldest tempreture reached day or night on one single occasion and not measured over a period of time.

The member from the coldest town taking the winnings.

Knowing AWP to be the good sport and jolly good fellow that he is I have already put his name down for a $2 bet per degree . I am sure as he reads this his house will be filled with delighted Yorkshire exclaimations such as "******' cockerney baaasturd"!!

Going on weather tempretures from previous years he will be donating about $170 to $300 to me.......(ahem) I mean to the winner.

All tempreture will have to be verified by a pic of an outside thermometer (outside Floridian beer coolers do NOT count and northerners freezer units are fine by me, as they're probably warmer than outside). Anyone found cheating will face a forfeit involving an 1000 page essay on the possibilities of driving from Harrogate to Leeds in 20 minutes.

To those also living in the cooler climbs, I am sure the distinquished and honourable gentleman mentioned above will be only to pleased to have a few side bets in the region of $2 to $4 a degree.

Enjoy the beach!!!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bet on the coldest place in the US

Originally Posted by rushman
A thought occurred to me this evening after the brutal onslaught of 'rubbing it in" by our Florida members.(You know who you are)

I thought it would be fun if everyone bet $1 for every degree in tempreture difference between their town and the coldest town at the end of winter. Coldest tempreture reached day or night on one single occasion and not measured over a period of time.

The member from the coldest town taking the winnings.

Knowing AWP to be the good sport and jolly good fellow that he is I have already put his name down for a $2 bet per degree . I am sure as he reads this his house will be filled with delighted Yorkshire exclaimations such as "******' cockerney baaasturd"!!

Going on weather tempretures from previous years he will be donating about $170 to $300 to me.......(ahem) I mean to the winner.

All tempreture will have to be verified by a pic of an outside thermometer (outside Floridian beer coolers do NOT count and northerners freezer units are fine by me, as they're probably warmer than outside). Anyone found cheating will face a forfeit involving an 1000 page essay on the possibilities of driving from Harrogate to Leeds in 20 minutes.

To those also living in the cooler climbs, I am sure the distinquished and honourable gentleman mentioned above will be only to pleased to have a few side bets in the region of $2 to $4 a degree.

Enjoy the beach!!!

No problems. All the money I will save by not having to heat my house and buy clothes rated to -60f...I think its only fair to share the wealth. Of course since the roads up north will be closed all winter due to the deep perma-snow drifts you'll have to come down here to claim your winnings in the spring (Thats around May in your spring - otherwise known as our summer part 2). I'll leave it out by the Gator house for you as I'll probably still be down on the beach. Oh and dont forget to bring your suntan lotion and a hat. It gets mighty sunny down here you know. I'll put the beers on ice for when you get here.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

sprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to all

Can I just send you all some money anyway ?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sprintblue
Can I just send you all some money anyway ?
Ah no where you are will be postively tropical compared to where these boys live.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:00 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Ah no where you are will be postively tropical compared to where these boys live.
LOL, this poster falls into the category of 'weather naive'

The variants

People in the US who think it rains all the time and is freezing in the UK

People who live in the UK who think its sunny and hot everywhere in the USA

Reality is that if you go much north of me (200 miles) its a lot colder than the UK

Also lots of places in the USA have much higher rainfall than the UK - TN's is basically double London's
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

As you would expect, the coldest temperature ever officially recorded in the United States was in Alaska.
It was -79.8 degrees Fahrenheit - rounded off to minus 80 degrees - observed at Prospect Creek Camp in the Endicott Mountains of northern Alaska on Jan. 23, 1971
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
As you would expect, the coldest temperature ever officially recorded in the United States was in Alaska.
It was -79.8 degrees Fahrenheit - rounded off to minus 80 degrees - observed at Prospect Creek Camp in the Endicott Mountains of northern Alaska on Jan. 23, 1971
Think I'll stick with Florida if its all the same.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:49 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

No problems. All the money I will save by not having to heat my house
aww it all even's out in the end...in the Summer our prices sky rocket because of our A/C you don't hear us griping about it all the time...and A/C is more necessary than the heater cos you can always stick on another sweater but you can only take so many clothes off
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
aww it all even's out in the end...in the Summer our prices sky rocket because of our A/C you don't hear us griping about it all the time...and A/C is more necessary than the heater cos you can always stick on another sweater but you can only take so many clothes off
Too true... $200-$300 per month avg leccy bill in the summer for me.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:

The highest electric bill we had last year was $140 and that was in the dead of winter and we were living in an all electrical house, i.e. no gas furnace, cooker, etc.

Of course we didn't have central air, nor a pool.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 2:07 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

same here and I was still hot!!! stupid house has crappy insulation It'll be great when I can actually have a day were I can open the windows and let the nice polluted air of Houston freely flow around the house
Old Oct 12th 2005, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

sprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to all

I know, thats what I ment cause I couldn't play I wanted to just send you all some money any way cause I was in a happy mood before. Now however im in a sh1tty mood so no money for anyone!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I'll remember that this winter when the temp falls to -40 at night, Ahh just throw on a cardy.
Why didn't that fool Capt. Scott think of that!!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rushman
I'll remember that this winter when the temp falls to -40 at night, Ahh just throw on a cardy.
Why didn't that fool Capt. Scott think of that!!
It makes me feel cold just watching you lot digging out on the telly. I nearly had to put a cardy on myself last winter one night.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 4:58 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

If this is for coldest average temp, bet on International Falls MN. I know...Alaska is cold, but we should exclude it... it's basically like being in Canada, Greenland, Siberia or some other God forsaken place. Not that MN is much better (most up there might actually prefer to be in Canada...blue state and all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.