Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best and Worst states to live in

Best and Worst states to live in

Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best and Worst states to live in

Best: Vermont. Why? No bill billboards littering the sides of its interstates, visually stunning most of the year, best farmers markets in the nation and the cheese........ !

Worst: Vermont.....mud season.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:03 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Colorado is slightly better than the shit hole that is Oklahoma.
I remember when I lived in the TX hillcountry, an old salty Texan told me that there are only 3 kinds of people in the country:

1- Texans
2- Damn Yankees
3- GD Okies
He then hacked up a lugie and spat...indicating his opinion of Okies.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:13 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Kansas made me lose my will to live once.

Drove thu once, all I remember was that the only thing on the radio (all I had was AM) on Friday night was HS Football...and God. 50 f**ing stations of God. Every flavor of God you could imagine.
Even Birmingham don't got that much God.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:20 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I remember when I lived in the TX hillcountry, an old salty Texan told me that there are only 3 kinds of people in the country:

1- Texans
2- Damn Yankees
3- GD Okies
He then hacked up a lugie and spat...indicating his opinion of Okies.
They're horrible people and should be drowned at birth.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:53 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Best: Vermont. Why? No bill billboards littering the sides of its interstates, visually stunning most of the year, best farmers markets in the nation and the cheese........ !

Worst: Vermont.....mud season.
winter ain't exactly for sissies there either.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Juswus
Maine sucks

I could handle the Winters if the Summers were nice. but it's humid with mosquitos the size of birds, and your power goes out at least once a week in the Summer lightning storms.
Yes, living in New Hampshire we share the same things, how about spring when the snow melts and everything turns to mud, it even has it's own season. And lets not forget about the Horse Fly, named not because they look like a horse but bite like one.
Then there's the tourists, they come up here from all the big cities where people really want to live to vacation in the country, creating big backups on our little roads and it's a fight for survival if you go into your local Hannafords.

Nope, i would'nt want to live anywhere else.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:42 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
Yes, living in New Hampshire we share the same things, how about spring when the snow melts and everything turns to mud, it even has it's own season. And lets not forget about the Horse Fly, named not because they look like a horse but bite like one.
Then there's the tourists, they come up here from all the big cities where people really want to live to vacation in the country, creating big backups on our little roads and it's a fight for survival if you go into your local Hannafords.

Nope, i would'nt want to live anywhere else.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:18 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
Maine sucks

I could handle the Winters if the Summers were nice. but it's humid with mosquitos the size of birds, and your power goes out at least once a week in the Summer lightning storms.
I have to disagree. I lived in Southern California for 20 years then moved to Maine. Never looked back.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you didn't have to work and weren't to old to worry about shovelling snow, mid coastal Maine would be a nice spot to live...especially during spring/autumn.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:26 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
California doesn't have a pot to piss in.
Bollocks Northern Cali is lovely, I was driving back from San Jose today and thinking how beautiful and green the place looked.

I have visited alot of the states and for me it would have to be Virginia, yes opposite to Cali but there is something about it that I love.

Lived in Illinois hell hole hated the place never agian.
Just not a lover of the mid-west sorry folks.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:38 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Bollocks Northern Cali is lovely, I was driving back from San Jose today and thinking how beautiful and green the place looked.

I have visited alot of the states and for me it would have to be Virginia, yes opposite to Cali but there is something about it that I love.

Lived in Illinois hell hole hated the place never agian.
Just not a lover of the mid-west sorry folks.
Its beautiful and green right now......give it a couple of months and it will be back to mottled sand colour with shades of brown

How are you darling?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:40 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
Its beautiful and green right now......give it a couple of months and it will be back to mottled sand colour with shades of brown

At least I am not freezing my tits of in the snow with a huge electric bill

How are you darling?
Very well thanks sweetie life is real good at the moment, makes a change waiting for the sh@t to happen as it always does sooner or later lol.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:31 am
Dis-Member

Very well thanks sweetie life is real good at the moment, makes a change waiting for the sh@t to happen as it always does sooner or later. Still dreaming of you every night and fantasizing about how well we will fit, like pieces of a jigsaw lol.
2 can play at that game
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
2 can play at that game
You're a Sh@t LOL
Old Mar 6th 2009, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree, Northern California is simply the best place to live. I've visited around 25 states at this point and always think 'could I live here?' - and the answer is always no. People have misconceptions about CA, but the reality is, it's full of people who are interesting and who work hard; there's plenty of places to eat great food, the weather is unbeatable and there is plenty of work.

You can drive to the coast for year-round mild weather and greenery; head inland for warmer and drier climes; and head further inland for mountains. The warm weather comes with no humidity - it's the humidity that rules out the entire eastern and central part of the country for me. We have the tallest mountain in the contiguous 48 states (Mt. Whitney at 14,000+feet; the lowest point (death vallley); the hottest point (Death Valley) and often one of the coldest (Truckee in the Sierras). The tallest trees (Redwoods up in the Redwood forests), the trees with greatest mass (Sequoias, in Sequoia National Park). We have Yosemite National Park.

I have to admit, though - Utah has the best National Parks with Zion and Bryce being unbelievable.

Biggest problem with CA is that it is expensive. No getting around that one ... definitely a strike against it but if you came here a while ago like I did, it's not such a big problem.

I came to the states 29 years ago on vacation and traveled across the country by greyhound (CA->NY !) as a poor student. I fell in love with San Francisco back then and still love the Bay Area today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.