Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best and Worst states to live in

Best and Worst states to live in

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best and Worst states to live in

wensleydale, north yorkshire

near the castle of alan the red, the richest man who has ever lived as at today's date

I dont think anywhere in the states has dry stone walls like this ?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2603983.ece

Last edited by exvj; Mar 22nd 2009 at 10:33 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
wensleydale, north yorkshire

near the castle of alan the red, the richest man who has ever lived as at today's date

I dont think anywhere in the states has dry stone walls like this ?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2603983.ece
It's an article about the richest man in Britain?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:55 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
It's an article about the richest man in Britain?
No, the richest man the WORLD has ever known

Far richer than any American in history or any Saudi or the Big daddy of Brunei

unfortunately no relative as far as I know
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:15 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
6) Texas ... to big.
How does being too big equate to being a bad place to live?

Yeah, it takes a long while to travel across the state, or unless you live close to a border, a long time to get to another state/country but the same can be said of the US as a whole.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:21 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
How does being too big equate to being a bad place to live?

Yeah, it takes a long while to travel across the state, or unless you live close to a border, a long time to get to another state/country but the same can be said of the US as a whole.
Too much driving inbetween finding things to bitch and moan about.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:13 pm
Banned

My dad used to say that seaside town is a town cut in half.

There is only the half circle to go at - the other half is sea

Had a mooch round the Grand Coulee dam area in Central Washington over the weekend - and that is the most desolate hopeless scrub desert slum I have ever seen. It is so poor and dirty with wrecked cars piled around the dirty windows of the derelict trailers and miles of nothing - not even wheat- just sour badland

So I can't go east or south ever again

North is sort of possible if you like endless mountains and smashed up pine trees and sharp rocks and nothing else. They even charge to walk there. Which leaves West to Seattle. So I am limited to one point of the compass within 300 miles - that makes it like half a seaside town or quarter of a 'normal' town.

Never mind - I am booking for England and Germany in early July so I can go into a State of suspended animation until then - perhaps that's the best State ?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Having driven in most of them I will cast my votes ..

1 to 10, 10 being the worst ..

1) Wyoming .... there's f**k all there ?
2) New Jersey ... there's too much there
3) Arkansas .... UGH !
4) Iowa ... boring !
5) Utah ... too many morons ... I mean mormons
6) Texas ... to big.
7) Ohio ........ Do I have to explain ?
8) Both Dakota's ...... Wisconsin .. I would rather live in hell
9) New York ... and i live there
10) Michigan ............ deffinately the worst f**kin shit holt ever.

Best states .... Florida, Arizona and Nevada.
Oregon is the most beautiful state in the union
Oregon?????? Really????
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:40 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Oregon?????? Really????
the Columbia River Gorge is very nice......

that's the bit that caught my eye....... Multnomah falls and all that.

The bits I liked are Montana and Wyoming around Glacier / Yellowstone and Tetons.....
Northern Cali around Chico, Tahoe donner pass and Redding.
I was strangely allured to the Mojave and the Sierra Nevada's.
The scenery in Utah is out of this world.
western Texas and New Mexico I liked very much.

Anything east of the Mississippi is dull as dishwater as far as I am concerned.

I am enamoured with the mountains and wide open spaces. And once she's done with residency then we're on a mission out west.

Last edited by Manc; Mar 28th 2009 at 2:46 am.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Manc

The bits I liked are Montana and Wyoming around Glacier / Yellowstone and Tetons.....

I am enamoured with the mountains and wide open spaces. And once she's done with residency then we're on a mission out west.
This place where I live in East Washington is very beautiful as far as wide open spaces and mountains is concerned. It's in the foothills to the Cascades which start about 200 yards away from my house.

It has 300 days sun/8" rain and is on the Columbia. There is a 10 mile loop park in town but the USA is very disappointing as far as free public access to civilized walks is concerned. (after the yorkshire dales, anywhere would be inferior in that department). It has an airport which shuttles to Seattle and a big downside is the 2 mountain passes - we were going to seattle tomorrow but cant as we will be cut off by 22 inches of snow expected in the passes.

The town is much bigger than the population in the town would suggest and it has lots of dentists and 2 good sized hospitals and lots of malls and restaurants and even a suzuki and honda main agents for bikes and lots of car dealerships etc etc . It's amazing what is here and we have DOT offices etc etc and there is no reason to leave the area for anything. It has the highest property value rise on any town in the USA for the last few years - but it's still not bad - not like CA

The population are a nice bunch and I have joined a motorbike club and I am one of the youngsters at 61. Most of em are still scared of me but they are coming round now. Many of the locals have never ever been to the next decent size town - Seattle - 150 miles away so I am a bit of a shock.

No floods - no tornados/no hurricanes and zero murders.
For anyone who has dunroamin its great - but us English people are used to weekends in Paris and Munich and Scotland and Cornwall and I miss all that.

oh and the hydro electric is 38 dollars pmonth for a/c in summer when it hits a hundred

Not a bad hole really (to non English people - that means absolutely excellent) - as long as I get my England fix 3 times a year it will do, but everywhere has its pluses and cons and this place is no different.

When these people post on city guides and say 'I would never live anywhere else' - I am sure 90% of em are realtors

So it's a priorities game really and my wife is scared of natural disasters and this place is quite tame apart from the chance of an earthquake every couple of hundred years.

NO INCOME TAX, low insurance - yep itll do. Its home sweet home for a few years.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reddwarfusa
OK time for a pop quiz (oops now I know I've been here too long). Would like to ask the best and worst states to live in in the USA?

California is great especially where we are, just outside sacramento. Far enough away from LALA Land (LA) and close enough to everything else. Whatever you need is in this state except solid housing investments ;-)

Tell me about yours...
Best place to live 1 being the best

1. California
2.Washington
3.Arizona
4.Nevada
5.Illinois
6.Georgia
7.Massachusetts
8. New Mexico
9.Colorado
10. Texas
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Manc

Yes, it is nice but to live there F/T, no thanks. I rained all the time I was there. Plus, not much to do.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is nice but to live there F/T, no thanks. I rained all the time I was there. Plus, not much to do.
Yep, there's a big difference between loving the scenery of somewhere and living there.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nethead
Yep, there's a big difference between loving the scenery of somewhere and living there.
Just like Colorado, nice place but not to live.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:56 pm
Banned

Just like Colorado, nice place but not to live.
Yes places like Hawaii and Tenerife (same latitude) must be so tempting after a great holiday but the isolation/restrictiveness etc would set in after a few months

I have read a few accounts of people who had idyllic summer holidays in rural Scotland and who sold up and moved there ....Come November they were hurting and come February they were selling up and going back to live in reduced circumstances due to the money they lost

Ex-pats are by their nature inquisitive and ready to move and take on new challenges - but that is also their achilles heel and they have to try and reign in their optimism and think it through - it's so hard to imagine what it's like full time until you do it - I reckon holidays in different seasons to somewhere first, and lots of contact with locals (preferably disaffected drunks in a local bar, not realtors) would be the best way
Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by exvj
Yes places like Hawaii and Tenerife (same latitude) must be so tempting after a great holiday but the isolation/restrictiveness etc would set in after a few months

I have read a few accounts of people who had idyllic summer holidays in rural Scotland and who sold up and moved there ....Come November they were hurting and come February they were selling up and going back to live in reduced circumstances due to the money they lost

Ex-pats are by their nature inquisitive and ready to move and take on new challenges - but that is also their achilles heel and they have to try and reign in their optimism and think it through - it's so hard to imagine what it's like full time until you do it - I reckon holidays in different seasons to somewhere first, and lots of contact with locals (preferably disaffected drunks in a local bar, not realtors) would be the best way
Plus, the thing about Hawaii, is that the cost of living is quite high there, people are more easy going but you need a good income to live there.