British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best and Worst states to live in (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-worst-states-live-595389/)

Reddwarfusa Mar 4th 2009 12:24 pm

Best and Worst states to live in

OK time for a pop quiz (oops now I know I've been here too long). Would like to ask the best and worst states to live in in the USA?

California is great especially where we are, just outside sacramento. Far enough away from LALA Land (LA) and close enough to everything else. Whatever you need is in this state except solid housing investments ;-)

Tell me about yours...

Rete Mar 4th 2009 12:31 pm

Re: Best and Worst states to live in

I love New York. Can't think of a better place to live for me. Amazing diversity in both culture, arts, places of interest to visit and vacation.

I can opt for the theater, on or off Broadway, at any time. Take in a classical or rock concert. Visit some of the best museums. Fish and swim in any of the great number of lakes statewide or visit some of the beaches along the Long Island coastline. Great wine country on Long Island and in the Finger Lakes. Ski in the Adirondaks or Catskill Mountains. Yup, I love New York.

MrEmjoy Mar 4th 2009 12:52 pm

Having only been to Missouri, Michigan, Indiana (for half an hour) Wisconsin and living in Illinois, I can't really say for sure what state is best out of all 50 states but Illinois seems to be very well suited to me. Corruption mmmmmmmm

lisa67 Mar 4th 2009 1:08 pm

Loved my 7 years in Michigan. Where we lived it was very safe for the kids to grow up in, but it was a little bit too quiet so now we're in Texas I'm loving it. Also the winters in MI really began to get to me after about the 3rd one!! I'm sure I'll feel the same way about the TX summers in a couple of years time, but loving it at the moment!:)

Ash UK/US Mar 4th 2009 2:53 pm

I heard someone say that when the rest of the US catches a cold Michigan catches the flu! It is true too, lots of unemployment here and the housing market has been hit hard! The state its self is nice, nice lakes etc, but the winters can be brutal... I am so sick of the snow and cold.

Manc Mar 4th 2009 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Reddwarfusa (Post 7344556)
California is great

California doesn't have a pot to piss in.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 4th 2009 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7344942)
California doesn't have a pot to piss in.

:rofl: I agree

helwardman Mar 4th 2009 3:38 pm

Louisiana :thumbsup:

The houses are affordable, the cost of living is low, the people are friendly and very polite, the population density is low, the crime rate is low (outside of New Orleans), the weather is great (bit hot in summer), the food is excellent.

Downsides are hurricanes, and the roads aren't too great.

ellimere Mar 4th 2009 3:57 pm

Don't live there but North Carolina.

Octang Frye Mar 4th 2009 4:08 pm

Colorado is a horrible, horrible state. So don't move here. Especially people from California and Texas.

Leslie Mar 4th 2009 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 7345105)
Colorado is a horrible, horrible state. So don't move here. Especially people from California and Texas.

I wouldn't piss on Colorado if it were on fire.

Octang Frye Mar 4th 2009 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 7345117)
I wouldn't piss on Colorado if it were on fire.

Anticolomite.

joto Mar 4th 2009 4:28 pm

I do like Colorado, at least where I live. The winter isn't too bad if you're not in the mountains, and it is pretty in some parts. The only down side is that it dosen't have a coast-line. We used to live in MA and most winters there were horrible, but the summers were not too bad. According to the media there, if it was outside Boston it didn't exist. Didn't like that attitude.

snowbunny Mar 4th 2009 4:31 pm

I think California is a love it or hate it kind of place.

I feel more at home in England (I'm American) than I do in California. It just feels.... *weird* to me. It's pretty, lots to do, nice climate, diverse people, good opportunities. But it still feels weird!

I love Austin and the Hill Country of Texas, and have ties to other parts of the state, but don't care for Houston or Dallas. Toooooo big.

Leslie Mar 4th 2009 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 7345133)
Anticolomite.

Last time I was in Denver I held my water until I boarded the plane. HA.