Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

best/worst aspects of living in U.S

best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Originally Posted by SDDep
Best:

Home Depot
I am really starting to wonder about you....
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:01 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I am really starting to wonder about you....
It is hands down the best store on the face of the earth...next to M&S..
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It is freakin' HELL on Earth! And don't you try to tell me differently.. I was in there yesterday.
(and don't tell anyone, but M&S actually let me down last time I shopped in one of their stores too )
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:08 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

It is freakin' HELL on Earth! And don't you try to tell me differently.. I was in there yesterday.
(and don't tell anyone, but M&S actually let me down last time I shopped in one of their stores too )
Its cos your a girl dear...havent you seen all the men wandering around aimlessly buying all sorts of stuff they will never use....what joy...

Oh..the shame of it...disparaging marks and sparks...Im tellin my mum!!!!

p.s. Im a bigtime gardener and the local HD has a great nursery...thats where I spend all my time..
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:18 am

p.s. Im a bigtime gardener and the local HD has a great nursery...thats where I spend all my time..
Me too, but surely you can do better than that!
We'll have to start a new topic for this...
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I am sooooooo with Mea, you are CRAZY!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
...Ben & Jerry's;.....
Has to be Giffords....Ben and Jerrys, the last two tubs I've gotten from them, the saying "through a keyhole", more like through a gnats urethra it was that bad.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karin_and_boys
Maybe the common factor then is you...

She has a point though, generally, driving here is much more scarier...just don't flick people off as they have guns down here
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

A quick survey, if I may.

(know this is a generalisation, but I found drivers more courteous,
Where do you live?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Where do you live?
Certainly not in NJ or any other state I've been to. Although I will say NJ drivers are courteous to pedestrians...they tend to slow down and let you cross. Drivers in the UK do the opposite when they see you crossing...they put their foot to the pedal (especially taxi and bus drivers).
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Certainly not in NJ or any other state I've been to. Although I will say NJ drivers are courteous to pedestrians...they tend to slow down and let you cross. Drivers in the UK do the opposite when they see you crossing...they put their foot to the pedal (especially taxi and bus drivers).
When I first started driving here DH said, do what you want BUT AVOID pedestrians, if you do hit one make sure you kill them!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:49 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I love it too
I get really pleased when I have to go and buy a new picture hanging hook or something like that. I could spend hours browsing the aisles.

Best

Americans will compliment you when you have something nice. eg, a fancy car (In UK they tend to call you a twat and vandalise it) (no experience of this, I drive a minivan, but I've noticed it a lot)

New York City.

Autumn

People actually will stop and help you (well here in Maine anyway)

Worst

Summer
Winter
Mosquitos the size of birds
Blackfly
Constantly having to explain myself and where I come from and why.
Having to work in the same job for 3 years before getting 2 weeks holiday
All the drink driving

HEALTHCARE! It's just taken us 2 years to pay off the last time hubby had a hospital visit. And now in the last month I had a doctors visit and 3 hospital visits. The bills haven't started coming in yet, but it will run into the $ thousands I am guessing (and that's WITH insurance)
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the common factor then is you...
Could be it is... because I don't drive with my rose tinted glasses on and actually observe the people around me that drive like idiots.

BTW where are you located I would be interested to know if others on this board from you area hold the same opinion.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:21 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. Im a bigtime gardener
uphill?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You should try the one at Shea and 101 in Scottsdale, AZ ... it's like every Home Depot should be - an abundance of staff patrolling the aisles offering to help you! I suspect this is due to the collapse of the housing market here, though, and only a matter of time before they close up shop! But still - good while it lasts!

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 25th 2010 at 3:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.